+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disgusted w/ my math capability, and i think i'm a welder.. pffft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Disgusted w/ my math capability, and i think i'm a welder.. pffft

I messed up in life and had to get a whole new career for myself. So i chose something that interested me, WELDING. The state of idaho agreed i needed a new 'career' and paid for 1yr of classes. Unfortunately, they picked a place that the guy had an 'issue' teaching women. He wasn't opposed to 'teaching' me, but God forbid i needed extra time with him for this/that..whatever. He basically got me thru the year with my MIG, FLUX, STICK cert, and some weld blueprints, and poof-out the door i went. Now i feel like a freaking moron because today i went to apply (weld test etc) at a fence machine shop, and when he asked me a simple math question-i froze up like a deer in headlights. Oh, make no mistake, i can weld real purty, i can swirl that bead, make it dance if ya want, but math????? pffffffffffffft... yeah, not so much. I have googled this and that, and ended up with 20 open tabs. I even tried my local library for a math/welder book. I need info on the RIGHT BOOK. I dont want to learn 'if sally traded jim 4 apples and 1 orange bullcrap'.. i want/need a REAL book on 'if you get 30 orders for backing bars, how many'..you get the idea. It's already bad enough im an older gal (45yr) trying to penetrate a man's world, much less looking like i dont know crap because of a math issue. I sure wish that dingleberry teacher of mine took me serious. ANY SUGGESTION?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Disgusted w/ my math capability, and i think i'm a welder.. pffft

Quote Originally Posted by igobyharris View Post
    I messed up in life and had to get a whole new career for myself. So i chose something that interested me, WELDING. The state of idaho agreed i needed a new 'career' and paid for 1yr of classes. Unfortunately, they picked a place that the guy had an 'issue' teaching women. He wasn't opposed to 'teaching' me, but God forbid i needed extra time with him for this/that..whatever. He basically got me thru the year with my MIG, FLUX, STICK cert, and some weld blueprints, and poof-out the door i went. Now i feel like a freaking moron because today i went to apply (weld test etc) at a fence machine shop, and when he asked me a simple math question-i froze up like a deer in headlights. Oh, make no mistake, i can weld real purty, i can swirl that bead, make it dance if ya want, but math????? pffffffffffffft... yeah, not so much. I have googled this and that, and ended up with 20 open tabs. I even tried my local library for a math/welder book. I need info on the RIGHT BOOK. I dont want to learn 'if sally traded jim 4 apples and 1 orange bullcrap'.. i want/need a REAL book on 'if you get 30 orders for backing bars, how many'..you get the idea. It's already bad enough im an older gal (45yr) trying to penetrate a man's world, much less looking like i dont know crap because of a math issue. I sure wish that dingleberry teacher of mine took me serious. ANY SUGGESTION?
    Don't know if this is what you're looking for but this is math for welders that goes to community college.

It's 263 pages and this is what it covers:
    • Whole Numbers
    • Using Your Scientific Calculator
    • Fractions
    • Decimals
    • Tolerances- How To Calculate Them
    • Measuring Tools
    • Wire Diameter
    • Ratio & Proportion
    • Percentages
    • Accurate Setting And Adjustments
    • Metric Measurements
    • Solving A Formula
    • Temperature Conversions
    • Electric Power Problems
    • Geometry
    • Calculating The Costs Of A Welding Job
    • Heat Input

It's not a book but you can print it out and have a book.
    http://spot.pcc.edu/welding/PDFs/fin...packet4_20.pdf
    If you don't have a printer take it to one of those copy shops and they'll print it out for you and put it in a binder.

The info is from Portland Community College, Oregon.
    There is some other stuff as well on blueprint reading and whatnot.
    http://spot.pcc.edu/welding/

PS. Good Luck! And 45 is nothing by the way.
    Last edited by Pete.S.; 03-08-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What was the question?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    What was the question?
    The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything is 42. Unfortunately, no one knows what the question is. (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

This ain't exactly Wizard of OZ stuff, but the fix is likely that simple. I had a long series of dud teachers in math through school. I skipped 4th, had a man who wasn't cut out for teaching in 5th. 6,7,8 The math/science teacher only understood book math, no real world math. Science, he was utterly confused! 9th, the teacher had a breakdown early in the year. After a sub two weeks, he returned. I believe he was on strong prescription drugs. Algebra 2, the teacher was flamboyantly gay. It was a liberal school board in a liberal town. I was (in 1971 less enlightened than now). He hated me, I returned the sentiment.

Junior year of high school, I met a great math teacher. I learned more that year than any year other! The class was Geometry. I loved it, got A's all year.

Math is easy with a teacher, who can translate it into life. Find a teacher. You'll pick it up fast. I now drive down the road doing complex calculations in my head, figuring voltage loss, de rate factors for conductors in conduit, how many sheets of metal will be needed for a 300 gallon sap tank, etc.

Is there a forum for those struggling with math?

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. What was the question ? Cut seven equal pieces out of a 20 footer and allow for the blade thickness ?
    If you can't something handle that simple equation you need a GED, not a welding hood.Maybe a line job welding a frism to a frasm 200 times a day ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Exactly. What was the question ? Cut seven equal pieces out of a 20 footer and allow for the blade thickness ?
    If you can't something handle that simple equation you need a GED, not a welding hood.Maybe a line job welding a frism to a frasm 200 times a day ?
    That is not just math that is real world understanding. You have to subtract six blade cuts, from 240 inches. And then divide by 7 pieces. But most and I mean most guys mess that up real well.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    That is not just math that is real world understanding. You have to subtract six blade cuts, from 240 inches. And then divide by 7 pieces. But most and I mean most guys mess that up real well.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    I know guys who mess that up super well

I also work with some special Ed kids that can do that in their head almost before the question is finished being asked.

...math is funny that way...
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    I know guys who mess that up super well

I also work with some special Ed kids that can do that in their head almost before the question is finished being asked.

...math is funny that way...
    That was really not a math question, or rather the difficulty lies in knowing what the actuality is, that you want to apply the simple math to. The average person hears seven pieces and to them that means seven cuts "simple". I have seen it too many times to have any doubts.

I have so much fun with the new guys. In two weeks though they are almost indestructible. I bash them belittle them, but always let them know that I went through a similar training program. When they ask me if I made the same poor choices, I say "NO I am not an idiot like you". It makes them laugh, and they know of course I made the same mistakes while learning.

The tape measure is the best when they freeze up on the tape measure. I start asking them things like, "if you broke up an inch into sixteen equal pieces how many sixteenths would be in that inch" But after two weeks they can divide 5/8" in half by doubling the denominator to 16 and changing the fraction to 5/16"

That is about the time they realize that centimeters and millimeters are not so cool after all. And that fractions are very cool. Unless you just want to play with numbers and not get anything done.

The more you know about math the more you tend to just figure on seven cuts when you hear seven pieces. A few trips to the steel yard and you know for sure if you want four ten foot I-beams from a forty footer, you have to make three cuts. You only get two factory cut ends, and six sloppy torch cut ends that you have to clean up. But a lasting memory and understanding is created.

Even if you are some sort of super mathematician you just cannot apply the math, until you have lived the reality, and gain some understanding of the reality of it. Then you can see how reality messes up the simplicity that most math teachers teach. Science teachers too.

Most math teachers always try to race for the right answer, which to me is a sign that they are not that good. Or need to show off their speed. I tend to wait till I understand it some. And if I have to take a guess I will let you know it is just a guess. Most math teachers think they know it and even reality does not change their mind.

I know you always take your time and come up with very correct answers. Which I certainly appreciate. You are an alien math teacher. I bet your students are prepared for the real world.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Even if you are some sort of super mathematician you just cannot apply the math, until you have lived the reality, and gain some understanding of the reality of it. Then you can see how reality messes up the simplicity that most math teachers teach. Science teachers too.

Most math teachers always try to race for the right answer, which to me is a sign that they are not that good. Or need to show off their speed. I tend to wait till I understand it some. And if I have to take a guess I will let you know it is just a guess. Most math teachers think they know it and even reality does not change their mind.

I know you always take your time and come up with very correct answers. Which I certainly appreciate. You are an alien math teacher. I bet your students are prepared for the real world.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    I wish I could take credit for purposely taking my time - it's mostly because I've screwed up in the past (and made cutting/welding/bending mistakes) that makes sure I draw and think before doing.

Plus math doesn't come easy for me - I have to work at it. I make sure to remind my students that it only looks easy because I've done this so many times.

I try and prepare them for the fact that precise answers that include integers and easy fractions are often not the norm in careers.
    Choices must be made to determine the necessary amount of precision.
    That includes whether a person even has the ability or equipment to be that precise.

I can definitely compliment your solutions and experience with career related math - some of your work has ended up on my "smart board" for class discussion.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    You have that right William.
    Jerry
    30+ yrs Army Infantry & Field Artillery, 25 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

Post Thanks / Like

A mastery of decimals and fractions and the conversion of one to the other along with some basic knowledge of plane geometry will go a long ways in your trade. I never could get the hang of algebra so it's been a challenge throughout my life. The book sounds like something you should print or buy and read it cover to cover several times. Yes, you could weld on a production line to put some $$ in the bank while self educating yourself. Just don't become complacent with it and decide you want to do it the rest of your life.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

I struggled with math in high school but once I got into the machine shop everything changed. When started using math daily it started to click. I could see the problem and how to figure it out and how to prove my answer was correct. Now I'm like Wille B just doing it in my head on the fly.
    Get a fraction to decimal chart and learn it starting with 1/2 1/4's 1/8's and work smaller as you pick it up.
    Get a tape measure and learn it down to 1/16ths. (this is not math it should be just like reading)
    Teach yourself to skip count... count by twos threes etc up to twelve.
    Twelves are important when working with feet and inches. 12,24,36,48,60,72,84,96,108,120,132,144
    There is no shame in carrying a calculator. It will help if you struggle with accuracy. Eventually you will start doing simpler stuff in your head because its faser than typing it into the calculator.
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

Post Thanks / Like

What was the question????
    Miller TrailBlazer 251
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller MaxStar 150 STL
    HyperTherm PowerMax 380 plasma
    Lincoln PowerMig 180
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Diversion 180

Post Thanks / Like

I'm too old to use a phone for everything. You aren't. I bet there is an app for that.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

I work with people that are really smart. They seem to "learn" the first time they see something. For me (and most people I believe) I learn by repetition. My advise : go to the library and check out math books. Read them and do the questions. Start at a 1st grade math book if you have to. In a couple of years you will be checking out algebra books.

I am currently using this method to learn German. But it is hard to find children's books in German here in the USA. So I am reading stuff on the internet. It's mostly frustrating, but if I am persistent eventually I realize I am learning something.
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

Post Thanks / Like

igobyharris - I teach math (and welding and woodshop) and I would recommend one of the programs I use with some students.

google: Khan Academy

-It's free
    -It goes at your own pace
    -You can choose topics and grade levels to study
    -The questions include hints to click on and videos to click on

-It also makes a nice smiley face and a pleasing "ding" when you get stuff right
    Dave J.

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

I used to baffle the young guys on the job when I'd figure the number of feet in a roll of conveyor belting without unrolling it. That's another reality William was talking about.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Harris,

DO NOT LET THIS GET YOU DOWN.

I personally love math and real world engineering problems, others (many) not so much. My wife, hates it and tells all the kids, "Go ask your dad." And yet she as an optician has to deal with weird math that I don't understand about optics and your prescription to make a pair of glasses like optical power, cylinder, axis, and some other jargon that I don't get. But that's because I have no need for that stuff and never will. But when it comes to math in the school books she just "doesn't get it". Some of the MOST TALENTED people I know at everyday mathematics are carpenters and machinists who can do it in their head all day long because of PRACTICE for years. Those are the same people who the teachin lady in skool said would be failures. If you haven't ever had to do it you CAN. It's just something new to learn. Decimals, fractions, conversion from metric to standard, etc all look like a foreign language if you have never been taught because it is. Math is just another language like music (which I have NO understanding of) or English. Just like before you ever picked up a stinger and hood if someone gave you one on the first day expecting you to stack dimes, you would have failed miserably.

Look through PeteS's link. Good stuff right there. I'm glad he shared that. I'm going to start going through some of that stuff with my youngest son (10) who really hates math but has the knack for all things mechanical, building, welding, machinery, farming, etc. He can swing a hammer, run a tractor, stick weld with 7018, fit plumbing pipe, rip wood on a table saw, hunt, fish and trap. My middle son just "gets" abstract math easily and at the same time has ZERO interest in using his hands for anything that doesn't involve a ball. Hopefully my mechanic son will see why I am trying to help him understand math with PeteS's link. PRACTICAL applications...

YOU CAN DO IT.

(edit & confession) Harris, you've sparked me to go back and conquer MY math failure. I never did finish my engineering degree 20 years ago. The more advanced math upper level Calculus, differential equations and other "advanced" crazy math classes was a sore spot along with other youthful issues. I'm going to go back and slay that dragon. I signed up with Kahn Academy.
    Last edited by xryan; 03-09-2017 at 03:14 AM. Reason: confession
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xryan View Post
    Harris,

DO NOT LET THIS GET YOU DOWN.

I personally love math and real world engineering problems, others (many) not so much. My wife, hates it and tells all the kids, "Go ask your dad." And yet she as an optician has to deal with weird math that I don't understand about optics and your prescription to make a pair of glasses like optical power, cylinder, axis, and some other jargon that I don't get. But that's because I have no need for that stuff and never will. But when it comes to math in the school books she just "doesn't get it". Some of the MOST TALENTED people I know at everyday mathematics are carpenters and machinists who can do it in their head all day long because of PRACTICE for years. Those are the same people who the teachin lady in skool said would be failures. If you haven't ever had to do it you CAN. It's just something new to learn. Decimals, fractions, conversion from metric to standard, etc all look like a foreign language if you have never been taught because it is. Math is just another language like music (which I have NO understanding of) or English. Just like before you ever picked up a stinger and hood if someone gave you one on the first day expecting you to stack dimes, you would have failed miserably.

Look through PeteS's link. Good stuff right there. I'm glad he shared that. I'm going to start going through some of that stuff with my youngest son (10) who really hates math but has the knack for all things mechanical, building, welding, machinery, farming, etc. He can swing a hammer, run a tractor, stick weld with 7018, fit plumbing pipe, rip wood on a table saw, hunt, fish and trap. My middle son just "gets" abstract math easily and at the same time has ZERO interest in using his hands for anything that doesn't involve a ball. Hopefully my mechanic son will see why I am trying to help him understand math with PeteS's link. PRACTICAL applications...

YOU CAN DO IT.

(edit & confession) Harris, you've sparked me to go back and conquer MY math failure. I never did finish my engineering degree 20 years ago. The more advanced math upper level Calculus, differential equations and other "advanced" crazy math classes was a sore spot along with other youthful issues. I'm going to go back and slay that dragon. I signed up with Kahn Academy.
    Great post Ryan!

Post Thanks / Like

If you start at the appropriate level, and are determined enough, you can teach yourself math. But it is all in how determined you are. I taught myself Calculus before I took a course on it. The key thing is that I taught myself at the appropriate time when I was mathematically ready for it, meaning: I had all the background knowledge for it, and was efficient at using it. Don't try to learn Trigonometry before you know how to do the 4 basic math operations and can recite many, many multiplication tables, and their inverses, division. Etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by xryan View Post
    YOU CAN DO IT.

Exactly. It's all in the determination. Let me know if you need any help. My background is in Math and Physics - the backbone of all engineering. You name it, I've taken/passed it: All calculus'es (lol), Diff-Eq, Partial Diff Eq, Complex Number Theory, Number Theory, Abstract Algebra I- and II, Linear Algebra I- and -II, Numerical Approximations/Methods, Discrete Math, Probability, Classical Geometry, Differential Geometry, Logic, Univ Physics I & II, Electromagnetic Field Theory, Quantum Mechanics, Classical Physics, Thermodynamics, Math Methods, Subatomic Physics, Special/General Relativity (self-taught). Obviously I don't remember every single little tidbit, but I know that once I look stuff up, it all starts coming back to me.
    Last edited by Oscar; 03-10-2017 at 05:40 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

A roll of wire is average .85 cubits (Estimated) in diameter(15") x 3.1416, (pie) x # of turns x 1.5, (a cubit is 1.5 feet). Noah's cubit was 1.5 feet, or 18" Mine is 18.5 inches. By today's standards I am near dwarf.

4' per typical turn, x number of turns. I up, or down by the cubit estimate. In a 100 foot coil, I may be off by three feet.

I do it all the time. No such thing as a cable scrap.

Willie

Post Thanks / Like

forget all that complicated math cr@p. learn how to read a ruler and basic shop math. for the fancy stuff use a pocket calculator.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Go to your local college/university Math department and talk to the Math Club and ask to be tutored. Another option, if you attend church ask to be tutored on math. As docwelder said, learn ruler/measuring tape.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I believe you should know how to count in increments at least to 16. If you are doing residential it comes in handy sometimes. You should of course know addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

You should know your circle math, and triangle math. You definitely need to know your 3,4,5 triangle your 6,8,10 triangle and your 12,16,20 triangle. Because if you are going to core through walls, to allow a branch pipe to pass through a wall. Many times the main pipe is not perpendicular to walls it is passing through, so you cannot just measure off the wall the main is passing through and core away. Sometimes you have to create a 12,16,20 triangle to see where to core the hole. There is no other way, other than to "gun sight" it which can be hard to set up. And it can introduce variables because such a short sample distance is used. I always gun sight before I core incase I have made some silly mistake that is obvious when you gun sight it.

To do the triangle square method, you may need a plumb bob or just use a chalk line as a plumb bob, to set the 12 foot side of the triangle directly under the main pipe you are going to branch off of, and chalk it on the floor. Then swing a short arc 16 feet out, approximately 90 degrees to the main. Then swing a 20 foot short arc. Where the two arcs intersect is the point that shows where 90 degrees from the pipe is. You can extend that line further if needed by just creating a chalk line parallel to the 16 foot long line. Most of this is not math, it is the reality. Math is almost retard simple, knowing how to apply it is unnerving. You can do this by yourself with a ladder and simple tools in a few minutes.

Sometimes there are boilers in the way, and you need three guys three ladder, and three tape measures. Or you have to set the 12,16,20 triangle so the intersection of the arcs meets the wall that the main is penetrating. Then you can use a line and just compensate back to the place on the main you are taping into and move the line off the wall at the point the triangle intersected the wall the amount you need to compensate. Not much math at all really.

Math to me is more like the muscle necessary to do the job the raw brute force. All the rest is the art and the know how.

Name:  345triangle.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  19.8 KB

After you are out in the field you know that you cannot count on fancy laser systems, especially when there are ten guys just standing there getting paid over $70 an hour. So you have to be ready to jump in with these kinds of procedures.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist