Thread: Hobart champion 16 needs welding leads

Post Thanks / Like

Hobart champion 16 needs welding leads

I picked up a 1998 hobart champion 16. Its ready to go except i dont have leads worthy of this machine. Can you guys reccomend an affordable arc cable set that i should get? Theres so many on ebay and amazon but i thought id ask on here first before i overpay for some chinese junk. I also need to know what ends i should use. I only need like 25 footers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hobart champion 16 needs welding leads

A little longer than you need - but would likely be a good set in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.com/Hobart-195195.../dp/B000PDQK9C

$244 and free shipping
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

You might think you only need 25 feet which maybe true for the first couple of times.
    BUT!
    As time passes you will find 25 feet is a handicap.
    If it is a budgetary issue and assuming you are a home hobbyist drop down a wire size from the first mention and go 25 feet on ground/negative lead and 30 or 35 feet on the Stinger lead.

Post Thanks / Like

I would get at least a 50' set. I really doesn't go far out in the field.

I bought my last set from http://www.electronbeam.com

I doubt you'll find it cheaper, and I am very happy with the quality. I don't think I will even shop around in the future, this place is great.

As far as connectors, I like the Lenco LC-40 from www.weldingsupply.com They are compatible with the Tweco MPC-2's, but are a little cheaper and a little smaller.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I would go at least 50' on each lead and then a 10-12' stinger whip. Also those engine drives are pretty noisey so getting away from the machine is a plus.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are right im gonna get 50 foot leads minumum. And those sites are custom order so i could even do like a 50 foot ground lead and a 65 foot stinger lead. Will #1 wire suffice for both? Or should i play it safe and step up to 1/0? Also what studs do i need to mount the lc40's to the machine? This site is great thanks Again

Post Thanks / Like

Just remove the connectors you have and use a stud mount lc-40 receptacle in its place. I would use 1/0 cable, with a lc40 female on the end of one of the cables. Then I would use a # 1or 2 cable on a 15' stinger whip. You could then attach to a feeder or another whip easily. The lighter cable on the whip greatly reduced fatigue without seriously hurting on amp restriction.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh fatigue i didnt even think of that with heavy wire. You are a well versed gentleman. I dont seem to see a stud mount lc40. I want these cables to be easily removed from the machine and locked up in my truck so the crack heads dont steal them.

Post Thanks / Like

Lenco part # 08030 for the connector. Another option is to get 2 female connectors and put about 12" of lead with a 1/2" lug connector on the stud.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Lenco part # 08030 for the connector. Another option is to get 2 female connectors and put about 12" of lead with a 1/2" lug connector on the stud.
    Yep that second option is what i had in my head