Thread: New guy in the Portland Oregon area

Post Thanks / Like

New guy in the Portland Oregon area

Forest Grove OR actually, part of the Portland metro area. Started welding seriously about 19 years ago so I could make performance car parts for a car with no aftermarket at the time (Mitsubishi Starion). II started out making intake manifold and turbo exhaust manifolds, etc. After I got good at it, I was able to make more parts to sell to others and support my hobby.

Started with a millermatic 210 MIG with a spool gun in 1998, upgraded to a Miller syncrowave 180 SD TIG in 2003. All self-taught through google university. Have a degree in electrical engineering for my day job, so I find the physics and science of it all (welding and fabrication) very interesting, and makes it easy to continue to advance my skills with every project by research and study, and lots of empirical testing.

I came here via a google search for some details on used cuttings tools a few months ago and started reading, and reading. Most of my projects still revolve around what brought me into the hobby, intake and turbo manifolds, I've worked with Inconel, all the 300 series stainless, and done a lot of cast 3xx and 6xxx series aluminum projects. Dabbled with some of the Chromoly alloys. Lots of hard learned lessons along the way, a few of them very expensive, many very profitable. Looking to upgrade to a Dynasty machine soon 280DX, or perhaps 350, but still fond of that old reliable syncrowave. It's made me a ton of $$. I might even just keep it as a dedicated DC machine.

Anyway, thanks for supporting this forum, I am a moderator on another (car) forum, so I know what a valuable resource a place like this can be, and what a virtue it is for those that contribute.

Chad

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New guy in the Portland Oregon area

Chad, welcome to the forum.
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast P/A 200