+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sliding gate assistance..long

Post Thanks / Like

Sliding gate assistance..long

Ok I need to build two sliding gates. I hope I am using the correct terminology. The ones that have rollers and an opener to control them. Does anybody make a roller kit assembly. I checked King Metals and I do not see one, they just have pieces and parts. It will be approx 12 ft wide x 6ft high, approx 600 Lbs . These are for my driveway. I have a King Cataloge and have some ideas. I can get the pickets and such locally. I want to make the gate look like 2 panels but again be only one panel in which it will slide behined a stone wall and you cannot see it. I have posts already in the ground. I just have to add another one where it retracts. I prefer to keep it floating and not have any wheels attached to the gate itself that roll on the ground across the driveway. I plan on making the main frame out of 2 x 2 x 10ga square. I might have to drill holes for the pickets/ baulastures as I am not a fan of the punched channel. Any pics, tricks or ideas would help as well as openers. I used the search and there are many posts and pics but not too many rollers.
    Thanks.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sliding gate assistance..long

If you want a sliding gate that has no wheels that roll on the ground then what you want is a cantilevered sliding gate. There is no kit for it. It will likely cause you to pull out your hair, and it will need to be at least twice as long as the opening. Oh, and when they fail it is usually dramatic and expensive.
    IMHO, if you want a slider put down a track. If you don't want a track, then put in a swinging gate. You can make folding, raising, tilting, lowering, etc , gates. The reason you don't see a lot is that they spend a lot more time not working. Sliding and swinging work great, the others are not worth the maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

We build around 3 a week, either cantilever aluminum using extruded track or steel tubing on rollers top and bottom. I merely deliver and set them in place, the longest at 57 feet long and 9 feet tall. www.afsfence.com There should be pics for reference there.
    Regards
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I have done a 16 x 6ft cantilever 24ft frame. I made rollers kit. I used ever rollers and used angle iron on top and bottom is 2x6 tubing. It is posted here somewhere. Posted probably 10 or 12 years ago. It is still standing and operational.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist