+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An odd question. Anyone else here have a H&H tilt bed trailer?

Post Thanks / Like

An odd question. Anyone else here have a H&H tilt bed trailer?

After many years I finally got the trailer I always wanted. It is actually a little heavier than I was looking for but that is ok with me. I was in the market for years for a good deal on a 10K tilt bed and I was really particular about the layout of it (certain things). There was only a couple brands that were set up how I liked so those were the ones I watched for. Then a couple weeks ago I was searching my usual CL searches for things that need work to flip and make money on and there it was! A 14K H&H tilt bed with some extras. $1700 to boot after I sold my old trailer. I am a happy guy!

So anyhow I have been gathering some things over the years for when I got my perfect trailer. One of them being a warn winch which I scored at a pawn shop a few years ago. And this has to do with my question. The trailer has remote control tilt by a key fob. The tilt function only uses 2 of the 6 buttons on the fob/controller. I plan to use 2 more of those functions to control the winch (in and out). But I cannot find a wiring schematic anywhere for the controller. I searched the internets, I contacted H&H, I looked the controller up and down for a name brand to search for, nothing anywhere. The ONLY lead I got was this company: Roll Rite, uses the same key fob for their controls but they don't offer the controller on my trailer. I know it is a shot in the dark but anyone here have an H&H with remote control and know or have the pinout for the controller? Only other option I seem to have left is just testing wire with a test light to see if I can figure something out without frying the controller. There is no H&H dealer close to me either that I can go and ask.

Here is a pic of the roll rite control with the exact key fob my controller uses:

The trailer.

12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    Tube channel: https://youtube.com/@VPTfab

Post Thanks / Like

Re: An odd question. Anyone else here have a H&H tilt bed trailer?

Nice Deck!
    Is that material like a composite deck flooring?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drujinin View Post
    Nice Deck!
    Is that material like a composite deck flooring?
    It is a wood deck, the outer 3 boards on each side have been bedlined (the good stuff) and the inner boards are some sort of dock coating. Honestly I don't know why the PO didn't just bedline the whole deck, must have been because of price.

Close but the wrong controllers. I know I didn't give much information to go on. I have the trailer out at our storage shed right now. When I get it home again I will take pics of the actual controller and open it up and look for more markings. Thanks for the reply!

Post Thanks / Like

I think that contoller may be made by trombetta. hey make all sorts of contactors and system controls.
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's been chilly out but dam!.....snow on the ground at the end of May?
    Nice looking trailer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jakedaawg View Post
    I think that contoller may be made by trombetta. hey make all sorts of contactors and system controls.
    Thanks for the lead, I will look into them.

Quote Originally Posted by vwguy3 View Post
    I know it's been chilly out but dam!.....snow on the ground at the end of May?
    Nice looking trailer!
    haha, yeah. That was the previous owners pics he had on CL. I haven't taken any of my own pics of it yet. I have actually been hiding it from my friends. lol

Post Thanks / Like

I have an H&H 10k tilt but its a few years older (and not nearly as nice looking). I wired up a winch with a wireless controller I bought from Harbor Freight that was never intended to go with it, if you post pics of the inside of the control box I'm sure one of us can figure out how it needs to be done, if not Harbor Freight and Tractor Supply both sell wireless winch controllers that are easy to wire into what you need. I'm going to wire in another one on a different frequency to be able to control both my tilt and winch wirelessly, just haven't got there yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Surplus Center has sold wireless remotes for 12 volt systems. I have two of them.

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as I get caught up with some work around here I will be bringing it home. I want to weld up the winch mount on the front and make up a cargo box or two for it.

Also you can see the PO added some lights instead of fixing the wiring problem to the factory leds in the rear knife edge. Apparently the factory wiring runs in a channel with no access so the PO thought just adding new lights to the outside was easier. I also want to add lights inside the deck to shine up for when loading cars at night as well as a work light on a cord much like a shop trouble light.

Post Thanks / Like

Well that was easy... Even has the pinout labeled on the board.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Now I see it! Didn't see the two different shades before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    I have actually been hiding it from my friends. lol
    VPT, hiding it from friends is a great idea! I have an '08 H&H Speedloader 24' gooseneck. FIRST time I loaned it out, it came back with the fenders beat to hell... Now when someone asks " can I borrow...?", I say sure I'm available whenever. Most of the time they want to borrow my trailer but not me. I drive my trailer or it doesn't leave...
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

If the Lights are a Flashin', STAY OFF the tracks!!! It might be me at the Throttle...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
    VPT, hiding it from friends is a great idea! I have an '08 H&H Speedloader 24' gooseneck. FIRST time I loaned it out, it came back with the fenders beat to hell... Now when someone asks " can I borrow...?", I say sure I'm available whenever. Most of the time they want to borrow my trailer but not me. I drive my trailer or it doesn't leave...
    Absolutely! I do the same thing! Of all of them I only have two friends that I would lend a trailer out to without my pulling it. It is mutual as well between the three of us, I have borrowed trailers from both of them in the past as well. We take care of each others things as though they were our own.

But not only that, even going along, some of the damn junk friends want to put on your trailer is shocking. "Oh you have a new trailer? can we haul a bunch of loads of busted up concrete on it this weekend?" "I'll buy you dinner".

Post Thanks / Like

No reply from Creativewerks either on the wiring schematic. Even though the printout is on the board I still questioned some of the functions and abbreviations on the printout. So I took the controller to the bench and powered it up and ran threw all the switches, pins, and functions just to see whats what. Made up my own schematic to have on file.

The manual controller was wired wrong so I straitened that out. I have two functions on the fob yet which trigger new pins (unused now) on a plug so that will work for the winch well. I also found out the last two buttons on the fob turn on and off (one button for on, the other for off) another new pin in the plug. That will be handy for lights or something. I also found that the plug from the switch is paired with the plug on the controller output. So if the controller fails I can just directly plug the manual switch into the pump/controls.

The other 6 empty pins on the other plug are "channel outs" which have the smaller relays as you can see in the pics earlier. I actually didn't get into these and am actually unsure how they are switched. I believe a remote with more buttons may be able to control these "channels" but I am not positive nor do I really need them.

I am excited to get some lights in the deck and the winch mounted. I have one (just to see how it is) cheap ebay led light on the way. If it turns out to be decent I will probably order 10 more as they are only $7 shipped (wtf?) and I need a few for the pontoon as well.

As for the winch I am undecided. If I put it on the bed side of the front rail I can center it but it will take up some room on the deck. If I mount it behind the front rail it will be off the deck and out of the way but would need to be mounted slightly off center to clear the pump/control box. Normally when hooking up to any cars or trucks you don't hook the winch up to anything in the middle anyhow, but will it look funny sitting off to one side a bit?

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is centered on the deck. But in your application, I wouldn't have a problem mounting it to the side opposite the pump controls. Anything you're going to pull will hopefully be steerable. So you shouldn't put the winch in a bind. Way out on the edge of the trailer would tend to want to pull diagonally, the closer to the winch you get. It's up to you, ymmv...
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

If the Lights are a Flashin', STAY OFF the tracks!!! It might be me at the Throttle...

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is what I will do, just to keep all the deck space open. The winch guide (forget the name of it now) would be located only one board over from center.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to center the winch and build a new pump box. It's the only way.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

I actually thought of building a new pump box because this one is kind of cheesy.

I was thinking three new aluminum diamond plate boxes. Pump box, winch box, strap/tie down/tool bag box.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the mess in the box now. I did clean it up some after figuring out the controller wiring. But I am still not real satisfied with the box over all.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to keep straps and chains in the truck. Straps are always behind the seat. A box of chains and binders gets thrown in the bed when I go to get something heavy.

For my dads trailer, we found a pickup truck side box (the long skinny type that sits on top of the bed rails) and mounted it across the front rail of the trailer. Worked pretty good. You could do something similar and divide it into compartments. Center for winch, outside compartments for straps, tools, etc. Then do something between the tongue rails for pump and battery.

A box like this is what we used.
    Last edited by Boostinjdm; 05-27-2017 at 09:19 PM.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

Fairlead! Thats what it is called!

I like to keep the deck open. I have seen those boxes used and they do fit in that spot well but personally I want everything in the tongue area.

I do carry the straps in the back of the truck now and it works great. But I was thinking it would be nice to have everything for the use of the trailer on the trailer all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered one of these cheap ebay lights just to see how it is. http://www.ebay.com/itm/192169800718

Metal housing, looks well sealed, not quite driving light type light but would make a great fog light or work light. I ordered a bunch more for the trailer and pontoon.

Most people put them on the front rail pointing back to shine under a vehicle. I plan to mount them in the deck shining up, covering them with lexan. So they would shine up under the vehicle instead of just a bunch of shadows from light shining from the front.

I also had the idea of getting a retractable work light and replacing the bulb with a 12v and having that in one of the boxes on the tongue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    can we haul a bunch of loads of busted up concrete on it this weekend?
    I thought that's what Uhaul trailers were for.
    Web developer/ LAMP stack back end programmer for a living
    Welding/ fabricating for a hobby

Miller Multimatic 200
    1947 SA-200 Junior (non running at the present)
    1977 SA-200
    1961 SAE-300
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38
    Harris OA
    EVOSAW380

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robin811 View Post
    I thought that's what Uhaul trailers were for.
    Those are for hauling drugs on the weekends.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist