Thread: can you adjust old welder while tig welding

Post Thanks / Like

can you adjust old welder while tig welding

i have an old airco tig welder. its and ac/dc 250 amp with high frequency start, heliwelder. got an wp 17 torch hooked up and to it running argon gas and was wondering if while tig welding, it has no foot pedal just the main crank for amp control, can you have someone crank down the amps on the round crank handle while your welding as the metal starts to heat up. i didn't thinks so but thought i would ask.

thanks rob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: can you adjust old welder while tig welding

My dad was an electrical engineer. Said to me that rheostats and potentiomaters are wrapped coils of which a contact drags across the surface. Repeated cycles will wear out the coils and they will short or no make contact. Dragging the contact over the coils when energized can allow arcing across the windings causing premature wear and is the worst thing you can do to them.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW2002ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

You can do it once..............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    My dad was an electrical engineer. Said to me that rheostats and potentiomaters are wrapped coils of which a contact drags across the surface. Repeated cycles will wear out the coils and they will short or no make contact. Dragging the contact over the coils when energized can allow arcing across the windings causing premature wear and is the worst thing you can do to them.
    Your dad was right. Contacts are rated (designed) either for making/breaking contact under load, or not. If not, they will quickly fail when moved under load. Good load rated contacts are "Self Cleaning" such that they move a little laterally when making contact to brush off the scorch marks. A contact without this cleaning action won't last long when subjected to "loaded" movement.

As Brian said, you might get it to work once. Or maybey even a few times.

Post Thanks / Like

Crank handle? If it's a moveable magnetic shunt, I can't see it really hurting anything. Which model, specifically?
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

On Airco AC/DC power sources if there is a large crank wheel on the front with a knob for current control then its a moveable shunt or moveable coil and can be adjusted under load.
    If it has a small dial in the center of the control panel for current control it is a Saturable reactor and can also be adjusted under load.
    On Arco the only time changing current adjustment under load becomes a problem is if your current control has step/ranges that you physically snap up or down (switch)
    You would not want to change current ranges under load with this type of control as arcing within the switch would occur along with damage to the current switch.

Post Thanks / Like

this is the welder/Users/robb/Downloads/20160916_143155.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

sorry, tried to load a picture of welder and can't do. there is a round crank with a slot above the crank and the indicator moves slowly lowering or increasing amparage as you crank. just crank to increase or decrease. i would assume that it is moving an armature. model 2.5a/ ddr-hf-b. sorry that is all i have for now. if more info is needed, just let me know.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, hell, it's a Miller. To quote a Miller tech: "It would cross over to a Miller 250 AC/DC HF which was the predecessor of the Dial Arc HF. Our manuals dept. should be able to get you a manual, you can reach them at (920)735-4356. " (And they did.)

See pics here: http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...o-ddr-224-hf-b
    SP-175 +
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

In "Short"....

NO.
    DO NOT DO IT.

That is all.

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said in post 6 , if it has a amperage control wheel with the knob it can be adjusted under load with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks to all appreciate it. ill try to get a pic downloaded once i figure this computer out

Post Thanks / Like

If it uses a sliding core like all the good welders it shouldn't hurt anything.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer
    Home made 4 transformer spot welder
    Home made alternator welder

Post Thanks / Like

if its like the miller thunderbolt, or the EconoTwin, it has a sliding core ? On each one there are large lever type switches for Hi-Lo range AC-DC select. those levers are clearly marked not to switch under load, and the crank is not. before I got my airco 250 acdc heliwelder with foot pedal, I used to try and weld aluminum with the econotwinHF, and it took a lot of cranking to a fraction of what a foot pedal would control. Its possible to do aluminum with it, and is a good way to get some practice, but eventually you'll want to get one with the amperage and other controls. Breaking the arc abruptly will make for some cratering and soot/oxidation. On my econotwin I made my own foot pedal to start a contactor(50 amp 2 pole mercury contactor) and a timer relay for HF start(runs for 5 seconds at start then shuts off until restarted). I even added continuous for aluminum. It works great for steel, but aluminum its very primitive.

good luck, hope you find the correct manual
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

Post Thanks / Like

On a funny note years back I had seen one of these with a sprocket mounted to the amperage control crank and a small forward/reversing motor attached drive end facing the front with a bracket to hold it and a small chain from it's sprocket to the amperage crank wheel sprocket. The motor was small enough it would stall when dead headed I was told.
    The guy that owned it had a small rocker switch attached to his tig torch that could increase/decrease the current. I think it turned pretty slow.
    I never did see it actually work. However back in the dark ages we would see a lot of interesting adaptions. These guys out of the ship yards were very creative.

Post Thanks / Like

Does your welder look like this?

Name:  Airco 2.5A DDR-224-HF-B  close.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  118.4 KB
    SP-175 +
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

exactly like the one pictured above. thanks for supplying photo.

rob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dana gear View Post
    On a funny note years back I had seen one of these with a sprocket mounted to the amperage control crank and a small forward/reversing motor attached drive end facing the front with a bracket to hold it and a small chain from it's sprocket to the amperage crank wheel sprocket. The motor was small enough it would stall when dead headed I was told.
    The guy that owned it had a small rocker switch attached to his tig torch that could increase/decrease the current. I think it turned pretty slow.
    I never did see it actually work. However back in the dark ages we would see a lot of interesting adaptions. These guys out of the ship yards were very creative.
    That reminds me of this they took it a step farther

Lincoln SA-250
    Lincoln SW 200
    Miller Thunderbolt
    SA-250 TMD
    Squarewave 200
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    1951 G.E. welder