+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom made gas burner

Post Thanks / Like

Custom made gas burner

Hi, i am trying to make a burner to a gas oven. Now i have a oven that i am trying to copy. Why am i doing this, well the oven i have uses 1/4" pipes and i want to use 5/16 and make it up to standard here in Kenya, the original oven is from Brazil.
    I am using a 13 Kg gas tube with normal cooking gas, hight pressure valve and the old oven was working just fine (not any more because i took it apart and can not now put it togehter again).
    I have 1 shutoff valve, 1 monometer (0 to 1 Bar) then 1 regulator valve(needle valve) then a normal burner. Now i need to add a new top to this burner that has to be 450 mm in diameter.
    See picture, nowso far so good, gas goes up in to the burner top but i get no jet flames thru the small holes, the flames blowes out directly more or less. I can get a very small blue flame but when i touch the regulator on the tube it blowes it out. I have tried to regulate the air intake whit no luck so it is down to the small holes in the burner top.
    Mine has 91 holes with a diameter of 3.5 mm and original has 95 holes with a diameter of 3.5 mm not i made mine bigger to 4,3 mm but same results.
    Why isnt this working, should i make the holes even bigger or should i abandon the system and go with a round pipe with small holes. Now it is a cylinder that filles up with gas (Hight 20 mm Diameter 450 mm).
    I would like to get this to work before i get it approved for use, dont want it to fail when i use it.
    So does anyone have any good ideas what i could do?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Custom made gas burner

Your problem is where the brass tube connects to the tube entering the disc.Make something like this so you can fine adjust the amount of air entering and then lock it down with a screw when you get it right. The problem is air entering in relationship to gas being burned.
    Name:  mixer.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  10.5 KB
    Name:  BurnerOrifice.jpg
Views: 1671
Size:  15.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Personally I'd go with what everyone else in the world uses. round tubes with holes in various configurations.
    Either way you have to be able to fine tune the air feeding the gas. Name:  propane-pan-burner-4.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  46.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, i have been adjusting the air intake on the burner at the bottom but i cant get that to work. If i close it compleatly then i get a high yellow flame that just refuses to die out. If i open it just a little it gives a blue flame but stil blowes out. What would be the differens to add this part or similar part, (i live in kenya and finding the correct parts here is difficult )

Post Thanks / Like

Heres some pictures to look at for other ideas too Google images " turkey cooker burner" https://www.google.co.cr/search?q=tu...w=1360&bih=629

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Paella style ?
    Name:  outdoor-paella-cooker-40cm-burner-both-burners.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  105.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenya View Post
    Hi, i have been adjusting the air intake on the burner at the bottom but i cant get that to work. If i close it compleatly then i get a high yellow flame that just refuses to die out. If i open it just a little it gives a blue flame but stil blowes out. What would be the differens to add this part or similar part, (i live in kenya and finding the correct parts here is difficult )
    The difference is a finer adjustment. Thats why the rest of the world uses the style pictured on nearly every other burner
    The thing at the bottom is a very poor design. No surprise coming out of Brazzzil.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be interested to hear more about who "approves" something as simple as a stove or oven burner ? Kenya sounds about as "free" as the USA Inc. NLC-No Liability Corporation).

Post Thanks / Like

The one on the pic you sent looks nice, just cant have the mitten part, so you say basicaly my issue now is the air intake. I just want to see if i can get this one to work before i rebuild it It is still a fun project and as i said i want to improve on the one i am building, and yes brazil do let things pass thru Kenya has the same rules as the UK so i have to make it much better but as i said i just want the one i have build to work so i can prove that to my self for now then i think i have to go for a round pipe around the cast iron plate.
    When i comes to a pipe how big should it be andhow big should th holes be and space between them and so on?
    I have a lot of questions because this is something new for me, midlife crisis maybe

Post Thanks / Like

I just noticed something else.Where the larger pipe enters your burner after the "mixer" it that pipe tight or threaded ? It should be a very loose fit. Otherwise the burner gets pressured with the heavier gas blocking air from entering. It is a slip fit

Post Thanks / Like

This will help explain what I'm not doing a very good job of ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

The pipe from the air intake (mixer) that goes up to the top is using 1" threads 2 mm pitch so it is a big pipe and there was a small reducer inside but that one did not do anything and it was cone shaped so it just reduced at the bottom of the pipe. I have tried it with and without it and no difference. So should i make the gas intake from the pipe to the top of the burner smaler? The original is smaller because it has a smaller burner, not by much but some.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Paella style ?
    Name:  outdoor-paella-cooker-40cm-burner-both-burners.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  105.2 KB
    This would look good under water with gas bubbling up and igniting on the surface. Ive seen it done a couple times. The pilot has to be above water of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Holes sound to big. Try sticking the air. Nozzle where the fuel and air mix and see what happens when u blast air in there.

Post Thanks / Like

so how do i know if i have to much air or to little air. The Air intake i fully open on the new burner but not fully open on the old burner and the old burner also has a much smaller air intake. The old burner works just fine. I can see that the old burner has more or less an open botten so that the gas comes from the pipe (6 mm) in and thru the burner while the new burner gas comes in to a small chamber then quezzes in to the burner thru very small gaps. It feels like that kinda kills the speed i need on the gas to fill up the top part. Now i could drill a hole to the small chamber (say 6 mm) and see if that would solve my issue. Any thoughts on that?

Post Thanks / Like

I spent a few min in sketchup...
    If i use a 20mm outer diameter steel pipe that i bend to a circle and and 1 pipe to feed it with gas like the picture.
    Then add my cast iron plate ontop like pic 2
    How big should then the inner diameter of the tube be?
    and how big should the holes for the gas be around the pipe (no holes on the middle pipe) and how much space should i leave between the holes?
    This is just something i think i have to do later on, i still want my original one to work but it seems like i have to abandon that one later, but i really want it to work.
    This is really learning by doing, love it

The outer diameter of the circle would be 450mm

Post Thanks / Like

Looked more in to tubes (aluminium)
    Tube size 1" OD and wallthickness 3/16" (ID 5/8")
    Circle length 1350 mm
    Gas feeding tube 250 mm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote "I am using a 13 Kg gas tube with normal cooking gas,"...

What is normal cooking gas in Kenya? That could be either natural gas or propane in my back yard BBQ.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry it is propane we do not use natural gas here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenya View Post
    Sorry it is propane we do not use natural gas here
    Good, Propane is hotter.

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be ok with just the one gas feeding tube to supply gas all around the circle? and can the air intake still be down when the bas of the burner is?

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_0570.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  78.6 KBheres my burner. The holes are .125. If u shoot the air gun in the intake and get nice blue flames u will know you were rich on propane or a lousy spray that not fine enough

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_0908.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  83.7 KB playing with a big regulator here lolName:  IMG_0914.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  80.3 KBName:  IMG_0905.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  80.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

If i where to build a burner looking like this (see the rough pic) flames only on the circle not the middle tube, air intake in the bottom tube and also the gas line connection at the end of the bottom tube.
    3/4 Steel tube, size of the holes for the flames 1,5 mm or 27 mm?
    and also how big should the hole feeding the gas to the burner be?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist