+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Considering an ESAB

Post Thanks / Like

Considering an ESAB

Been wanting to get back into welding. Will basically be starting over since I havent run a bead since high school and am looking for a machine to start with. Mostly hobbyist around the house/farm type stuff...angle iron, tubing etc. 1/4 to 3/8 mild steel most likely. I like the idea of a 3 in 1 machine tho friends and relatives tell me to steer clear of inverters. Three machines I am considering so far are the Rebel 235, the Fabricator 252i and Miller Multimatic 215. For the money the Fabricator seems to be the better deal, 1k cheaper than the Rebel 235 and looks to do about the same thing except for ability to use 120v household current. No 50 amp 240 service in the garage just yet tho I do use my 30 amp dryer plug to run my woodworking tools. Hopefully those in the know can steer me in the right direction on a good welder. I just want something I wont outgrow and end up wishing had gotten something else. Also something that isnt so complicated to set up and use that a 57 year old will get disgusted with it and shove it in a corner to collect dust. Thanks in advance for any help or advice. Take care.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Considering an ESAB

I have the Fabricator 252i and the Rebel 235. The 252i is a great machine and a super bargain when it comes to welders, don't have anything negative to say about it. If you want to haul it around get the roll cage. The Rebel 235 is a good machine also, not sure if it is worth all the extra money, but does have a LCD screen and lots of handles and much tougher exterior, and like you mentioned runs on 120v but I have never used that. I think the Rebel runs 6010 better if that makes a differnce, but the negative is a single drive roll for mig that I think has a hard time with 33/44lb spools. Several people I know don't like the Rebel due to the screen and how you have to bounce all around in the GUI to change settings, I had a kid out of welding school that was so frustrated with it he refused to use it, does not bother me at all. The 252i is a little more straight forward but still has a lot of settings.

I would not worry about inverters, that tech is pretty solid these days. Can't comment on the Miller since I don't own that smaller model, the 350P and XMT's are strong units.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

The Sanrex ones are more then solid. They are awesome. The little LM-200 is quite a nice package if you can find one.. About 20 more amps then the 252i pretty much the same duty-cycle too... My 252i is up for sale, but probably have to wait tell all the good deals are gone. Day is coming soon..

Here is what you can expect on a 240 volt single phase circuit out of the older model Sanrex. First is the LM-200 and second is the MST-400..
    I like how they weld too.. The low to high end is sweet..
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

I notice you are in Texas, just thought I would throw these out, I like the price for a home welder. Too far away for me. https://waco.craigslist.org/tls/6127551324.html, in case you don't go inverter.
    Thermal Arc 210 - Tweco 211I - Cutmaster 52

Post Thanks / Like

Sanrex is marketing under their Sanrex name in the states now. All products are available through them and some new ones too.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist