Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 316l SS pipe Certification?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 316l SS pipe Certification?

Quote Originally Posted by jmay View Post
    Man you guys are gonna team up on me and talk real tuff, maybe even team up and bully me around! Look i really do thank you guys above for your advice. I would rather get along with you guys so sorry if i pissed you off. I mean it, i even take back the rambling fool part to!

Sincerely i mean it. So what do you say?
    ROFLMAO, Oh man if you think people here are teaming up on you and being mean and bullying well you're most likely not going to enjoy most construction sites. Especially if you show up on them talking the same kind of arrogant, disrespectful sh!t like you've done here.

You roll in to a job site with out really knowing what you're doing and start throwing your level of authority around, talking down to guys that are just there trying to earn a living or cost a contractor to lose money from unnecessary bull sh!t well, it won't take long and you'll end with a bunch of people putting considerable time and effort into trying to figure out new and creative ways to get you hurt bad.

And concerning that welder you seem to be so proud of having spooked off....if I were you I wouldn't count on every welder you have to deal with being that meek. You pull that kind of **** with some old road dog Texas rig welder there's a good chance things could get real ugly real quick.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Thanks / Like

lol! You guys are alway badasses on the net. Oh and the welder was a cool dude very helpfull. I didn't run him off he thought it best to leave till paperwork gets sorted out.
    Last edited by jmay; 06-19-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and those old tough road dogs can bark all they want, but they should remember who signs that monlthy pay form. Oh and if they want to get ugly real quick as you say they will only do it once. You are saying some real foolish things. Usually in my local contractors and inspectors get along pretty well. Once those contractors get whipped in to shape you know put inline. Lol!
    Last edited by jmay; 06-19-2017 at 10:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and those old tough road dogs can bark all they want, but they should remember who signs that monlthy pay form. Oh and if they want to get ugly real quick as you say they will only do it once. You are saying some real foolish things. Usually in my local contractors and inspectors get along pretty well. Once those contractors get whipped in to shape you know put inline. Lol!
    I guess I missed it. What did the engineer say? And was it in writing?
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    I guess I missed it. What did the engineer say? And was it in writing?
    Well Sir i haven't gotten word back yet. I believe the manufacturers of the pipe actually wanted them brought to the facility to be welded but they are already set in 4000 psi concret wall 18" thick. So i haven't heard for sure what they want done.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Sir i haven't gotten word back yet. I believe the manufacturers of the pipe actually wanted them brought to the facility to be welded but they are already set in 4000 psi concret wall 18" thick. So i haven't heard for sure what they want done.
    Sounds like the enginner has some splainin' to do. Looks like ASME B31.3 is the right code for the weld. You might want to keep that in your arsenal to cover your butt. A good four or five years ago I trained some Los Angeles DWP weldor on some titanium plate welding without purge technique. The engineer specified "Weld to Best Commercial Practice". The shop foreman and I wrote a procedure and we had 2 of their weldors log in 100 hours of training and produce samples for xray for engineer's approval. To my knowledge the the titanium pump support structure welding was a success.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Ol' HT2 poo-poohed the thought that the job would have B31.3 requirements. One of the reasons I think that it may be an ASME project is because it is municipal, and those guys often throw in all sorts of code requirements, simply because it is part of a standard "RFQ/Bid package"
    Experience is something you get right after you need it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fred s View Post
    Well Ol' HT2 poo-poohed the thought that the job would have B31.3 requirements. One of the reasons I think that it may be an ASME project is because it is municipal, and those guys often throw in all sorts of code requirements, simply because it is part of a standard "RFQ/Bid package"
    Yep maybe right.

All i did was make everyone invloved that this was a change in design including the welder. I put out there that i had no way to determine if what they are doing is right or wrong. I understood that this descion was way over my head. So i followed our procedure. I also told both the welder and Contractor you can do it but if the guys with the stamps dont agree you got to pull it and your liable.

I never once thought i will take info from a forum full of folks i never met and take their opinions and use them to make Decisions on my projects. It wouldn't matter to me what any of us thought it up to the Engineer and Manufacturers and thatd who's hand its resting in.

I dont quite get all the hostility towards that descion. I believe it may have something to do with being up front about being an inspector! Lol! All the fantasy crap about how Roads Dogs are gonna juml all over government Employees on a civil job is ludicrous and silly. I have seen it happen twice with a couple young dudes feeling froggy, guess who lost? That type of behavior gets you ran off the job and often fired by the employers. Most you gentlemen on this forum are pretty good dudes and others well i still converse with anyways.
    Last edited by jmay; 06-20-2017 at 08:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Sounds like the enginner has some splainin' to do. Looks like ASME B31.3 is the right code for the weld. You might want to keep that in your arsenal to cover your butt. A good four or five years ago I trained some Los Angeles DWP weldor on some titanium plate welding without purge technique. The engineer specified "Weld to Best Commercial Practice". The shop foreman and I wrote a procedure and we had 2 of their weldors log in 100 hours of training and produce samples for xray for engineer's approval. To my knowledge the the titanium pump support structure welding was a success.
    Terry,

I'd be real surprised if the Engineer in charge of this project doesn't have everything well in hand and knows exactly what he's doing and how to deal effectively with any minor issues that arise during construction. I may be rushing to judgment here but all I'm seeing so far is a minor government functionary who's let the little bit of authority he's got go to his head and who's come in to a project and proceeded to thrash about blindly creating a bunch of unnecessary drama for no other reason than to try and bluff others into thinking he's "large and in charge". It'd be my guess that even the Engineer is going to end up regarding the OP as a "problem child" he'd just as soon see go a way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    Terry,

I'd be real surprised if the Engineer in charge of this project doesn't have everything well in hand and knows exactly what he's doing and how to deal effectively with any minor issues that arise during construction. I may be rushing to judgment here but all I'm seeing so far is a minor government functionary who's let the little bit of authority he's got go to his head and who's come in to a project and proceeded to thrash about blindly creating a bunch of unnecessary drama for no other reason than to try and bluff others into thinking he's "large and in charge". It'd be my guess that even the Engineer is going to end up regarding the OP as a "problem child" he'd just as soon see go a way.
    Man you cant give up your getting to be fun! Man who abused you in the past? Did a mean old nasty inspector come see some of your Chicken CRAP welds and jump your stuff, maybe embarrassing you or what? Did he ding your ego? Could you not muster the balls that those other big tough Road Dogs you idolized have and stand up for yourself?

So you finally got a chance to vent and let it on an inspector on a forum. Its like a fantasy to you a chance to be something your not. Like a real Road Dog you can spout crap and throw a bunch of big boy talk, buy your comfy cause you don't have to do it face to face. So if its therapeutic for you go ahead i render my thread to you to be a tough talking Road Dog! This can be your safe place.
    Last edited by jmay; 06-20-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's be cause you use the title "inspector", when your function is really "customer rep", or "liaison". A "Referee" if you want to use analogies.

Inspectors are authorities in the work being performed, you clearly stated you are not an authority in this specific task.

You performed your function by identifying a discrepancy, and forced the responsible parties to discuss and remedy, so job well done. performing an inspection task as a customer rep or liaison doesn't qualify you as an "inspector" though, its just a task in this sense, not a title.

Your arguments about what is or isn't right the way to solve this problem as a customer rep makes perfect sense, but it makes no sense as an "inspector".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chad86tsi View Post
    I think it's be cause you use the title "inspector", when your function is really "customer rep", or "liaison". A "Referee" if you want to use analogies.

Inspectors are authorities in the work being performed, you clearly stated you are not an authority in this specific task.

You performed your function by identifying a discrepancy, and forced the responsible parties to discuss and remedy, so job well done. performing an inspection task as a customer rep or liaison doesn't qualify you as an "inspector" though, its just a task in this sense, not a title.

Your arguments about what is or isn't right the way to solve this problem as a customer rep makes perfect sense, but it makes no sense as an "inspector".
    Yes you are partially correct in saying that. We have a large scope as a job description. We do a lot of liaison work as well as coordinate so yes that parts is correct, but we also have to do pre-placement inspections for piers and slabs and anything concrete. ACI certs are required for field testing concrete.

Basically we overview the work done and decide if it is acceptable to pay on behalf of the owner. We over see concretre, electrical, site work, masonry and mechanical. It is true one will never know everything that there is to know about these fields. That why each project has its own spec book so guidlines are set and that is what is expected and any changes from that we make the contractor aware he is off course advise against it and contact the Project Engineer. Just like i did in this case.

In this case when welding is involved one company is used and is spec for the job. This company is spec for 100% of the contracts. This project required no welding in the design so no spec was written for it.
    Last edited by jmay; 06-20-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me or is any one else here picking up a Tweaker vibe off this little spun puppy?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I think the role you are in is more valuable than an inspector anyway, you find issues before it's too late. I've seen many large jobs get redirected by a timely conversation with a contractor/sub, and the customers liaison. Typically at actual inspection time, it's too late to make meaningful changes that don't involve complete re-work of the item being inspected. Some work gets inspected in stages of construction, and many are purely sign off / final.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    Is it just me or is any one else here picking up a Tweaker vibe off this little spun puppy?
    Its just you!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep Chad86tsi that pretty much sums it up thats what I do. So yes title maybe confusing never thought about.
    Last edited by jmay; 06-20-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist