Thread: What mig gun amp range do I need for .045 wire

Post Thanks / Like

What mig gun amp range do I need for .045 wire

Hey all I haven't been on here in a very long time. I recently acquired unfinished project #4398. It is a miller cp-200 with a wire feeder. Of course this is a 3 phase machine and I am going to do the Haas Kemp conversion which looks pretty straight forward and there are some great directions that I printed off. Anyhow like most $150 bargains it is bound to have some missing parts. Mainly this machine did not come with the Mig gun. Just as well as the used guns are usually beat senseless. Big problem is trying to find anyone that knows anything about Mig guns and Mig gun interchangeability. Guys at the welding stores are no help and dont know anything unless you practically have a part number.

So the big question I have is what amperage range gun do I need to run .045 wire? The CP-200 is capable of 300 amp and .045 wire should be well within the capability of this machine. 250 amp guns are cheaper than a 300 amp but I dont know if a 250 amp gun will run .045 wire. I would like to set this machine up to run the max wire size that its capable to run. Does anyone know of any charts for wire size and amp or a chart that shows amp gun needed for given wire sizes? any info would be helpful.

Thanks so much

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What mig gun amp range do I need for .045 wire

What type of feeder does it have on it? This will determine many things, as well as limitations

A 250-300 amp gun is plenty for what you likely plan to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the late reply. I got put on night shift all week and i been a real zombie. It has a miller c52-e feeder. I want be able to run the largest size wire that this machine will possibly run. Running heavy equipment there are many times i really need something that will put some real meat on thick material.
    Last edited by workshoprat; 06-22-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry it may be an s52e. Im not near it right now lol

Post Thanks / Like

If you are in short arc(75/25 and under 25 volts) like Steve said 250-300 amp gun will work fine. If you are going to be in spray transfer(95/5,90/10,85/15 and over 25 volts) you are going to need a 400 amp gun the survive the heat.
    The smaller gun will work in spray just not for very long.
    We all know that welding supply sales people don't know their azz from a hole in the ground.....it's just that some are more engaged/interested than others. To some it's just a pay check.
    Cool project by the way

Post Thanks / Like

.045 wire has a very wide range of use. A 300 amp gun would be a minimum to me. If you do spray transfer with .045 I would get a 400 amp gun. I run a Bernard 300 amp gun for .035 wire and in spray mode it just makes it. Remember that most guns are rated with straight CO2 gas wich is a refrigerant and helps cool the gun. So if you use say 75/25 the gun is derated. The draw back to buying a gun that is capable of spray arc would be that the higher the amp rating of the gun the more cumbersome it will be. So most of the time I go tword the lighter gun that will do the job. A lighter gun can still spray transfer just use a lower duty cycle when you use it. Most of the time your hand will tell you when it is too hot. I used a 150 amp miller gun on my MM200 for over 20 years even though the machine is rated to run up to 250 amps. I kind of miss that gun because it was small and light and was much easier to use for 80% of what I do. So it is going to be compramise no matter what. I would only buy the 400 amp gun if I was going to have a steady diet of spray transfer welding to do with it. If you really want it to be flexible and user friendly I would look at a 200-250 amp gun.
    Last edited by thegary; 06-22-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I dont even know what spray arc is or how to use it. Plus from what i read the cp-200 is more desinged for short arc welding. I want to set this machine up for mostly heavy stuff. I have a lincoln 110v machine for the light gauge stuff. I would run .035 for anything betond the range of the 110 lincoln but the 250 miller i used to have it was very possible to run out of the capaicity of the wire on heat on bigger stuff. I never did try .045 wire in that machine and wish i had. I am wondering if a 250 amp gun would run .045 wire. Dont know that im worried about the heat because i just cant run 100% duty cycle. Its an old fart thing. I like the idea of the smaller gun for ease of use like mentioned but just not sure it will handle what i want and i cannot find any specs to see if it can in fact run .045 wire or if its limited to .035. So many decisions and choices to make LOL!!!