Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: had stroke-need help with tig feeding rod

Post Thanks / Like

had stroke-need help with tig feeding rod

hi everyone. i had a stroke several years ago and have limited use of my tig feeder hand. im left handed so i feed the rod with my right hand which now has limited use. some nice people on here recommended different kinds of feeders. the kind you use with your index finger to roll the rod thru, modify a caulk gun and squeeze the handle to advance the rod and many others.

there was one gentleman on welding web that contacted me by private email and suggested a powered feeder from remote control hobby planes and helicopters parts. said he wanted the challenge and he and i got together on this new project. after his hard work and various e-mails and phone calls, this member came up with a design that perfectly fit my hand and advances the rod on demand. perfect!

i hope he will chime in and take credit for his fabulous skills and gracious time and contribution to help me start tig welding again. unfortunately 2 weeks ago i severely tore a calf muscle and have been bed ridden since. its healing and today was the the first day i was able to hobble a little more than a few steps. hope the middle of next week his rod feeder will start to get more use.

here are 2 photos of the tig rod feeder he sent me before calf injury. one is middle finger on switch, second off switch.

thanks rob
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Re: had stroke-need help with tig feeding rod

That is a really cool gadget. I bet there are others that would/could use one to help them overcome problems with rod feeding. I crushed a vertebra about a year ago and have lots of problems with pinched nerves. Some days I'm glad to make it to the shop. I hope your new tool helps you and others also.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Your almost a robot now!

Post Thanks / Like

getting close to robot! hearing aids, glasses, insulin pump, pins - screws - rods in rt ankle, false teeth, knee replacement, prosthetic toe and now tig rod feeder for barely functional rt hand. im getting there. i guess next up is brain transplant from a chimpanzees. definitely would be an improvement wife says! poor chimp!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duramax-rob View Post
    ... i guess next up is brain transplant from a chimpanzees. ....
    Chimp feeding TIG filler ... and doing a large weld buildp.

Name:  dn17499-1_300.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  15.2 KB Name:  001672-SB1.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  74.5 KB
    Last edited by Oldendum; 03-02-2018 at 03:52 PM.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

thats great, i love it and the tig feeder

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Rob.Get making !

Post Thanks / Like

those chimp photos are right on. perfect.

all kidding aside, the tig feeder that was made for me was the GREATEST that any has done for me. the time and thought that went into the feeder and to make it work flawless for my disabilities , thank you, thank you, thank you. im sure when this member replies to this thread, all can see the dedication for his help. just fantastic at what he did fo me.

now back to the chimp jokes rob

Post Thanks / Like

When my son was doing a lot of repetitive TIG welding, he made a cheater out of some filler wire.

Name:  TIG cheater.gif
Views: 605
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  TIG cheater 2.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  21.2 KB
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the monkeys..
    And the filler feeder is an interesting idea. I bet the rod doesnt wag around as much compared to feeding it free-hand.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom.

Post Thanks / Like

future chimp here-- the battery operated one is so smooth eventually i hope i will be able to get it down with the switch timing and feed rate so it will be just like feeding filler thru hand. the wire comes out straight and smooth. can't wait for leg calf to heal enough to get back at it. being diabetic sure takes a lot longer to heal.

rob

Post Thanks / Like

oldendum i tried one like that but the tone in that hand made the filler move around too much and was constantly out of where i could see the filler end and was hitting the tungsten. great idea though

Post Thanks / Like

i just wanted everyone to know that the member on here that made the tig feeder for me is Weldoldie. he is having a little trouble logging in to this site but when he does, i hope he chimes in.

rob

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a pretty cool feeder. I admire your dedication and efforts to remain productive through difficulties. It very admirable that someone took it upon themselves to build this for you. There really are good people left around the world. This person counts as as a Medal of Honor person in my book.

While I like to get comfortable and sit and TIG weld that happens very infrequently. More often laying on a creeper under a car or trailer with oil or other fluids and dirt dripping and falling down, maybe reverse handed and only room to see out of one eye due to obstructions. All to make a few inches of required weld. Only get one shot and it needs to be good the first time. Occasionally a rod feeder would be a nice thing to have. I often thought a slot car controller would work but just never put it together.

One suggestion I would make is to build table guides and supports as you need. This will allow support for your weld hand and feed hand. I use these occasionally. Masonite is nice as it is slippery on one side and cheap. It cuts easily with a jig saw or band saw. You can drill or bolt or clamp it with c grips of various sizes or vice grips.

Byron

Post Thanks / Like

There is a You Tube about the build:
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

I, really, lucked out when I started building the feeder. The servo housing, perfectly, fit the opening in the head of the paint bucket opener, which I, accidentally, stumbled onto at the hardware store. And, the handle was just long enough to house the batteries. From there it just continued to evolve, along with the "arming" switch, which was needed to disable the circuit, until the trigger switch could be added. The no-load current draw on the tiny motor is only 80 mA, and since the motor just moves the filler rod (almost no load), instead of pulling wire off of a spool, as in mig, battery life should be pretty good. (Not bad for an undocumented design engineer, eh? Rhetorical question, only... no need for a reply. )

My hope is that the feeder will function, as I envisioned, to enable Rob to return to tigging on his projects.
    Last edited by Weldordie; 03-06-2018 at 06:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weldordie View Post
    I, really, lucked out when I started building the feeder. The servo housing, perfectly, fit the opening in the head of the paint bucket opener, which I, accidentally, stumbled onto at the hardware store. And, the handle was just long enough to house the batteries. From there it just continued to evolve, along with the "arming" switch, which was needed to disable the circuit, until the trigger switch could be added. The no-load current draw on the tiny motor is only 80 mA, and since the motor just moves the filler rod (almost no load), instead of pulling wire off of a spool, as in mig, battery life should be pretty good. (Not bad for an undocumented design engineer, eh? Rhetorical question, only... no need for a reply. )

My hope is that the feeder will function, as I envisioned, to enable Rob to return to tigging on his projects.
    Kudos to you man. People like you, who are kind and ingenious are the reason for hope in this miserable humanity and are exactly what this country needs.

I can't see the video, it's not verking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX TIGRunner
    Fronius Transsteel 2200

Post Thanks / Like

File a patent quick and get this in commercial production.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by precivilization View Post
    Kudos to you man. People like you, who are kind and ingenious are the reason for hope in this miserable humanity and are exactly what this country needs.

I can't see the video, it's not verking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Try this link to view...

Post Thanks / Like

i have to update this thread. i erroneously spelled the tig filler rod feeder designer wrong, Weldordie it should be spelled. the feeder works great and many thanks to him.

rob

Post Thanks / Like

That's bad to da bone ! Awesome !

Post Thanks / Like

Kudos!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! What a great idea, and my hat is off to you for coming up with a idea and the end product for someone else.. Good Man!!!
    Pete

ESAB SVI300
    ESAB MIG 4 HD
    MILLER PASSPORT 180
    MILLER DYNASTY 300DX
    MILLER COOLMATE 4
    MILLER 30A
    MILLER SPECTRUM 2050
    C&K WF-3
    PrimeWeld Tig 225X

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice job man!
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW2002ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Man this is really great video was excellent
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.