+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement for acetone?

Post Thanks / Like

Replacement for acetone?

Acetone, in my country is a controlled product and difficult to find. I am currently using an acetone (weakened) that is easily found in drug stores used by women to remove paint from the nails which for aluminum seems to not clean anything at all. All my finger prints remain after cleaning, for example. Is there another product as good as acetone for cleaning aluminum?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Replacement for acetone?

EVERCLEAR alcohol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(alcohol)

Its illegal in some US states. I had some friends working at some atomic weapon test facility in Las Vegas. They used EVERCLEAR to clean everything. They said coworkers were drinking at Christmas parties.

If you cant find EVERCLEAR you can use 90% alcohol from drugstore.

The nail polish remover acetone I used said 100% acetone but reading ingredients, it had some kind of lotion in it also. It didnt work for TIG'n and I gave it away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    EVERCLEAR alcohol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(alcohol)

Its illegal in some US states. I had some friends working at some atomic weapon test facility in Las Vegas. They used EVERCLEAR to clean everything. They said coworkers were drinking at Christmas parties.

If you cant find EVERCLEAR you can use 90% alcohol from drugstore.

The nail polish remover acetone I used said 100% acetone but reading ingredients, it had some kind of lotion in it also. It didnt work for TIG'n and I gave it away.
    Here the gas stations sell ethanol alcohol 95%. Interesting. I'll try. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Replacement for acetone?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalzani Lima View Post
    Replacement for acetone?.
    You can also use alcohol or MEK

Make sure you use gloves if you use MEK

PS:

Everclear is not the kind of alcohol you want

That’s the kind of alcohol you drink.
    LoL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you get lacquer thinner? Like acetone, it should also dissolve both polar and nonpolar compounds...

Post Thanks / Like

Use gloves if you use MEK is an understatement. I'm not sure I would handle that stuff even if I were triple-gloved. We use that stuff where I work and we have in the past had issues with a guy nearly going blind because of absorbing too much of that stuff in his system. I don't even like being around the fumes of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Can you get lacquer thinner? Like acetone, it should also dissolve both polar and nonpolar compounds...
    Only on order. In stores only in small quantities for plastic modelers.

Interesting

I can find here easily Isopropyl alcohol, ethanol alcohol 95%, polyurethane thinner. Which of these would be best?

Post Thanks / Like

in body paint work we used wax and grease remover cause they said it wouldn't leave any residue behind. might have to shop for an off brand cheap kind. fast dry would work best, low temp use. might work in a pinch

Post Thanks / Like

What you are trying to do is remove residual oily films. What substances are good at removing oils? I have seen a product called Simple Green clean oil pretty well, and it's non-toxic. Mineral Spirits will get car parts clean enough to paint the metal. I think mineral spirits are the same as paint thinner.
    Miller Syncrowave 350
    Millermatic 252/ 30A spoolgun
    Miller Bobcat 225g w/ 3545 spoolgun
    Lincoln PowerArc4000
    Lincoln 175 Mig
    Lincoln 135 Mig
    Everlast 250EX Tig
    Century ac/dc 230 amp stick
    Victor O/A
    Hypertherm 1000 plasma

Post Thanks / Like

A great, natural degreaser is d-limonene. It is the fundamental ingrediant in all citrus based solvents. I have not tried it for welding prep though.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.thefabricator.com/articl...before-welding
    One place that I worked for used Oakite 33 in a heated tank (aqueous sol'n), but that was not for aluminum. That company does make industrial aqueous cleaners for aluminum.
    Last edited by Denis G; 03-09-2018 at 10:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What do they use for brake cleaner where you live? (Don't use chlorinated solvents on things you plan to weld or heat.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougAustinTX View Post
    What you are trying to do is remove residual oily films. What substances are good at removing oils? I have seen a product called Simple Green clean oil pretty well, and it's non-toxic. Mineral Spirits will get car parts clean enough to paint the metal. I think mineral spirits are the same as paint thinner.
    I use simple green as a general purpose cleaner, but I don't think it evaporates enough on its own.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

any thing that you have to dilute with water or rinse with water when it dries will leave a mineral residue when dries if not wiped off. also wiping rag should not be dried using fabric softener as it sometimes leaves a residue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    You can also use alcohol or MEK

Make sure you use gloves if you use MEK

PS:

LoL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wouldnt recommend drinking EVERCLEAR LoL. It is more than twice the alcohol as Jack Daniels so it gets you eFd up really fast. Its cheaper than Jack tho. A 750mL is $22.99. Stil more than acetone.

I would never recommend MEK to anybody for anything. MEK is some bad stuf just look at the MSDS. The OP said acetone is a controlled product so MEK may not even be available.

Dalzani, if you can get 95% alcohol, try that. You should probly run it thru a coffee filter first. Gas stations can be dirty where I live.

You didnt say if you were using for weld prep. Are you? What country are you in?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    I wouldnt recommend drinking EVERCLEAR LoL. It is more than twice the alcohol .
    We take a big jar of maraschino cherries, dump half the liquid out and fill it with Grain (everclear)
    let it sit in the fridge until whenever...

"Cherry Bombs"
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    We take a big jar of maraschino cherries, dump half the liquid out and fill it with Grain (everclear)
    let it sit in the fridge until whenever...

"Cherry Bombs"
    Sounds good, I like cherry bombs.

Steve, 7A749 said mix orange juice concentrate with EVERCLEAR to make Agent_Orange.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt recommend drinking EVERCLEAR LoL. It is more than twice the alcohol as Jack Daniels so it gets you eFd up really fast. Its cheaper than Jack tho. A 750mL is $22.99. Stil more than acetone.

I would never recommend MEK to anybody for anything. MEK is some bad stuf just look at the MSDS. The OP said acetone is a controlled product so MEK may not even be available.

Dalzani, if you can get 95% alcohol, try that. You should probly run it thru a coffee filter first. Gas stations can be dirty where I live.

You didnt say if you were using for weld prep. Are you? What country are you in?
    Use gloves if you use MEK is an understatement. I'm not sure I would handle that stuff even if I were triple-gloved. We use that stuff where I work and we have in the past had issues with a guy nearly going blind because of absorbing too much of that stuff in his system. I don't even like being around the fumes of it.
    I'm in southern Brazil. I do not think I can find MEK here and according to wikipedia is a very critical and dangerous component for the handling, so I prefer to stay away from this MEK.
    Also I will not drink EVERCLEAR. I do not think I find this here and I do not like alcoholic drinks. I do not like the taste, I do not know why.
    Yes as I said earlier I can get 95% ethyl alcohol and 98% isopropyl (more expensive) but easily found. I do not know the amount of impurities present in the fuel alcohol sold at the stations here. Although my car is hybrid (alcohol and gasoline) I never filled with alcohol. So okay I'll filter it first.

in body paint work we used wax and grease remover cause they said it wouldn't leave any residue behind. might have to shop for an off brand cheap kind. fast dry would work best, low temp use. might work in a pinch
    Yes I already have degreaser for painting. I have never used it for cleaning aluminum because I do not know its chemical components except it has benzene. I can try.

A great, natural degreaser is d-limonene. It is the fundamental ingrediant in all citrus based solvents. I have not tried it for welding prep though.
    I do not know this product but I've seen it in some stores here.

I did a little video trying to clean some of the aluminum finger prints. First with degreaser for paint and then with nail polish acetone. No luck in both. I have the impression that the fat of the fingers reacts chemically with the aluminum or the oxidized layer. I do not have 95% alcohol now but I will do a test soon.

Since I can not get pure acetone here, I began to wonder if pure acetone would solve this problem. The reason for my post.

Thanks all.

Post Thanks / Like

In the U.S. any ethyl alcohol not specifically manufactured to be sold for human consumption must be deliberately poisoned to prevent consumption and/or punish one for doing so. The cheap corn liquor you purchase at the hardware store can and will (by government mandate) kill you. Any consumable alcohol will be priced according due to government taxes and will be cost prohibitive for swabbing and cleaning.

Your country may vary.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    In the U.S. any ethyl alcohol not specifically manufactured to be sold for human consumption must be deliberately poisoned to prevent consumption and/or punish one for doing so. The cheap corn liquor you purchase at the hardware store can and will (by government mandate) kill you. Any consumable alcohol will be priced according due to government taxes and will be cost prohibitive for swabbing and cleaning.

Your country may vary.
    It is not different here...

"Fuel alcohol and household alcohol have higher alcohol content than beverages, however, these alcohols can not be ingested because they have additives, known as denaturants, which are responsible for changing the taste of alcohol, to prevent them being ingested Some substances used as denaturing agents are: methanol, ethanal, denatonium benzoate and even gasoline."

According to the law supermarkets can not sell alcohol with concentration above 46%. But specialty stores can but only for people over 18 years.
    Last edited by Dalzani Lima; 03-10-2018 at 04:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would look for whatever NON-chlorinated solvents they use in Brasil for cleaning brake pads or for cleaning fiberglass boats for painting. These are two solvents that, unlike ethanol or methanol or isopropanol, will dissolve most contaminants likely to be found on your metals. Just make sure they don't contain chlorinated hydrocarbons, or when you heat them, they can create poison gas.

Ethyl, methyl and isopropyl alcohols are pretty tame in comparison...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solven...lassifications

Post Thanks / Like

Dalzani, wipe in one direction only. Rubbing back and forth just smears the fingerprints.

Post Thanks / Like

I would look for whatever NON-chlorinated solvents they use in Brasil for cleaning brake pads or for cleaning fiberglass boats for painting. These are two solvents that, unlike ethanol or methanol or isopropanol, will dissolve most contaminants likely to be found on your metals. Just make sure they don't contain chlorinated hydrocarbons, or when you heat them, they can create poison gas.

Ethyl, methyl and isopropyl alcohols are pretty tame in comparison...
    I did a google search but could not find a specific solvent to clean fiberglass or break pads. There are several. and each uses what he thinks is the best. Please, could you provide more information?

Dalzani, wipe in one direction only. Rubbing back and forth just smears the fingerprints.
    No matter how I do ... It just does not clean.

Thanks All.

Post Thanks / Like

Everclear in Michigan used to be 190+ or - proof or 96% by volume, now days at least the last time I checked it's more like 151 or 75% by volume, I would think the any Alcohol Iso, or ethanol you could by that is 90% or higher by volume should do the trick?

Post Thanks / Like

I bought ethanol 96.5% in a gas station. It seems to clean better than nail polish acetone or paint degreaser but unfortunately after evaporating leaves something behind. Probably the remnant of water present in the alcohol and more other unknown substances.
    Behavior analogous to the pattern observed with a water drop after evaporating on a surface. The drop leaves a mark with the size of it.

The same does not happen with nail polish acetone or the paint degreaser that, after evaporating, leaves nothing.

Maybe I'm putting a lot of value on this and should simply continue to use nail polish acetone as I've been doing.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist