+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacement for acetone?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Replacement for acetone?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalzani Lima View Post
    I did a google search but could not find a specific solvent to clean fiberglass or break pads. There are several. and each uses what he thinks is the best. Please, could you provide more information?

No matter how I do ... It just does not clean.

Thanks All.

Something like one of these in the link. Just make sure it does not have chlorine.

https://lista.mercadolivre.com.br/brake-cleaner-wynns

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dalzani Lima View Post
    I did a google search but could not find a specific solvent to clean fiberglass or break pads. There are several. and each uses what he thinks is the best. Please, could you provide more information?
    I would go to an auto parts store or wherever you would purchase auto parts and auto repair supplies and ask for what they sell for cleaning brake shoes and pads and rotors and drums. Here in the U.S., this solvent is sold in aerosol cans, and they usually sell both chlorinated and non-chlorinated versions. You want the NON-chlorinated version. It's fairly cheap, like $3-$5 per can.

Here in the U.S., you can also get a product called Interlux 202 Fiberglass Solvent Wash, but if Brasil bans acetone, then you can bet they also ban this stuff. It dissolves EVERYTHING, including the insulation on your brain cells if you're not careful. It contains every solvent known to man, I suspect, and it removes everything I have ever thrown at it. If you're having trouble getting your metal clean, you won't if you use this stuff.

http://shop.foghmarine.com/media/cat...5/2/0/202g.jpg
    Last edited by Kelvin; 03-13-2018 at 08:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

First I must apologize. I spoke with a chemical company and... Yes, I can buy acetone. It was a big misunderstanding. The information I had from the stores was incorrect (or a lie). I discovered yesterday that the sale is controlled by the federal police but not prohibited. Each person can buy up to a maximum of 2 liters of acetone per month. As it would not be a good deal for the stores they simply say that it is forbidden.

Two liters of acetone per month is more than enough for us. Problem solved (I hope).

Thank you all for the information.

Post Thanks / Like

Being as you're in Peru I can see where the authorities want to keep track of who's buying large quantities of acetone. Besides being on the DEA's watch list for illegal drug manufacturing it's also looked at hard by anti-terrorism intelligence agencies because of it's potential use in making a fairly powerful homemade explosive. Here in the US I can walk into most any hardware store and purchase a gallon of it with no questions asked but I'm sure if I tried to buy it in 55 gallon drum quantities from a chemical supply place I'd end up getting some unwanted attention from one or more government agencies.

Post Thanks / Like

Any paint store should have toluene/toluol and xylene. Both are better degreasers than acetone or alcohol, and both evaporate quickly and leave no residue. Inhalation is to be avoided, use lots of direct ventilation.

Post Thanks / Like

Being as you're in Peru I can see where the authorities want to keep track of who's buying large quantities of acetone. Besides being on the DEA's watch list for illegal drug manufacturing it's also looked at hard by anti-terrorism intelligence agencies because of it's potential use in making a fairly powerful homemade explosive. Here in the US I can walk into most any hardware store and purchase a gallon of it with no questions asked but I'm sure if I tried to buy it in 55 gallon drum quantities from a chemical supply place I'd end up getting some unwanted attention from one or more government agencies.
    I'm in Brazil, not Peru. Yes the chemistry attendant told me today that the control is due to the drugs. I am not a chemist so I do not know the relationship with acetone. But as I said 2 liter monthly it is more than enough for the welding work we do.

Any paint store should have toluene/toluol and xylene. Both are better degreasers than acetone or alcohol, and both evaporate quickly and leave no residue. Inhalation is to be avoided, use lots of direct ventilation.
    Thanks. I will search. If I find something so efficient like acetone and I do not need to fill out a form before I can buy, the better. But I'm going to buy my 2 liters of acetone a month this afternoon at a specialized chemical distributor.

Post Thanks / Like

some of these responses are just down right crazy lol.... i mean what in the world do ppl think sometimes.... how about just some good ol 91% isopropyl alcohol OOORRRR how about this, you ready?.... get online and get some EZ WIPES from arc zone or some
    ACE WIPES from blue demon.... you guys talkin crazy with ur ethanol, brake cleaner, simple green degreaser.... and this and that lol.... smh. hes wanting to clean some aluminum for welding!!...

2017 Everlast Powertig 210 EXT with a CK 20 and water cooler
    Miller Multimatic 215
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 XP

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Brazil, not Peru.
    Sorry about that. I guess the word "Lima" in your screen name made me think you were in Peru. And while Brazil doesn't seem to have the same reputation for cocaine manufacturing that Peru (and Columbia) do I'd have to imagine that some of it goes on there at least on a smaller scale. Could also be the authorities are just worried about Brazilian acetone getting smuggled across that section of common border your two countries share.

Post Thanks / Like

Something like one of these in the link. Just make sure it does not have chlorine.

https://lista.mercadolivre.com.br/brake-cleaner-wynns
    I think I've solved the problem and managed to buy acetone (not polish nail acetone). Thanks for the info.

Sorry about that. I guess the word "Lima" in your screen name made me think you were in Peru.
    No problem.

I live in a very small city (but wonderful to live in) and no one here welds aluminum or even TIG in general. My resources for questions and problems is the internet.

Thank you all for the attention.

Post Thanks / Like

To bad the gas pump al cohol didn't work but you can just put what's left in your car. You do need to wipe in one direction to remove the film and it works better than acetone for cleaning plastic welding lenses.

Another thing if your just trying to remove finger prints, try a shamee. You may need rouge or polishing compound .

Some people have more acid in their sweat. I've seen it on guns and guitar strings.
    Last edited by Insaneride; 03-13-2018 at 04:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist