Thread: Mig nozzle gunk

Post Thanks / Like

Mig nozzle gunk

What causes this and what's the best way to prevent it? Nozzle gel? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mig nozzle gunk

Whether that is excessive spatter or not sort of depends on if that happens after just a little bit of welding or a whole lot of welding. But either way it shouldn't get to that degree. Nozzle dip or one of the many sprays will help the spatter to 'not stick'. Help, not prevent totally. No matter what, don't let it get to that point. With a spray or gel a glob like that can fall off and into the weld puddle at the most inopportune time. Or it can starve the gas and cause porosity in spot tough to get back to to grind out.
    Last edited by Sandy; 03-03-2018 at 12:14 AM.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

When j weld heavy, it gets like that. Gel helps some - splatter gets knocked off easier too b/c of the gel layer.

What really helped me is using a larger nozzle. Maybe you could give that a go and see if it splatters and cakes up less with longer duration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Never used gel except overhead once in a moon.I just use Vaseline. I have a constant habit of tapping the side of the nozzle on the bench to keep the buggerz knocked loose.If it needs it or not. Just a stupid(but effective) habit I developed way back.

Post Thanks / Like

Push vs pull technique. Induction setting if your machine has it can be used to reduce spatter as well. I like ceramic spray coating, about $25 a can but lasts a long time
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motoman202 View Post
    What causes this and what's the best way to prevent it? Nozzle gel? Thanks.

motorman,

Nozzle "gel" (which I don't care for much any more) won't prevent that fine spatter from building up on the nozzle like in your picture. All it does is keep it from sticking on as tightly so it's easier to get back off. You just have to pay attention to how much of it is building up on your nozzle as you weld and keep after it with the tips of your "Welpers" (or needle nose pliers). I don't use any nozzle gel or spray and don't seem to have any problems keeping it picked out clean as I go along. A little bit of it on the nozzle won't hurt any thing but you shouldn't let any where near to the amount in that picture ever accumulate on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. This is happening after only a short time welding. This is a new machine that I picked up for the house. It's a hobart handler 210 mvp. The millermatic that I use at work I don't have this problem with. So I don't really think it's the technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Jody at welding tips and tricks recommends Pam spray. That's what I use and have had good luck with it. Cheap, too - I just steal the can from the kitchen when it's getting low!

Post Thanks / Like

That tiny little nub or virtually no nub I see on the end indicates that you may be running at the very low end of short circuit for whatever voltage/wfs range you've chosen. Maybe running a little bit close to the bead due to that. Looks like you may be close enough (to maintain the arc) that you are scooping up the spatter. It's all just a guessing game without actually being there to see what's going on. Try running just a bit hotter overall and a tad bit more stick out.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

Trim the nozzle flush to the tip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Trim the nozzle flush to the tip
    Wrong!

Trim the tip to be recessed 1/32"
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW2002ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    Push vs pull technique. Induction setting if your machine has it can be used to reduce spatter as well. I like ceramic spray coating, about $25 a can but lasts a long time
    The ceramic coating seasons the nozzle and tip as it burns in. If any spatter at all sticks it usually sheds by itself during use. Especially useful when welding alum. I use the ceramic coating on my plasma nozzles and shields as well.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW2002ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Wrong!

Trim the tip to be recessed 1/32"
    Does Zap need to enter again ? Go buy a shirt.If you do I'll get a haircut. Lets agree to disagree. Trim to a recess of .0024876 . But only with 85/15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Does Zap need to enter again ? Go buy a shirt.If you do I'll get a haircut. Lets agree to disagree. Trim to a recess of .0024876 . But only with 85/15
    Now you are talkin' my language. I got enough shirts, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

If you do it "right".. and let it build up enough and are willing to be hard on your personal stuff and you can tap it on some metal it will actually break the whole ring nearly perfectly free with very little clean up needed... Not saying it's right or wrong lol

Post Thanks / Like

My hobart does that too, but it will take 15 to 30 minutes of welding to do that. I just get into the habit of cleaning out the nozzle every now and again. Tack welding seems to be the worst for that.
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster