Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vulcan Pro-tig 200 thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vulcan Pro-tig 200 thread

20171014_135451

20171014_135239_HDR
    Last edited by shovelon; 03-22-2018 at 02:02 PM.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

20171014_135500
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Built these modular ballistics shack skeletons with the ProTigs. One on each side to weld groove welds, migs to weld fillets. Only misteps were when "sweety" kept leaving the pulse on when plugged into 120volts.

20170308_125812

Post Thanks / Like

So you weld cans together with 30 amps?
    Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    Lincoln SquareWave Tig 200
    Miller Spectrum 125c
    Oxy/Acetylene
    Optrel e684, Lincoln 3350, Speedglas 9100xx, Klutch 800 Series
    Lathe and Milling Machines

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerje View Post
    So you weld cans together with 30 amps?
    Yep. And about half pedal.

Post Thanks / Like

Gee,

It looks like that's just what the panel is set for.

I believe the unit goes down to 10 amps.

I'm still curious to hear from someone who says the arc starts on AC are great!

Post Thanks / Like

They must be you can see where he started over several times after he stopped to rotate the cans. I'm going to have to try that with my sw200. I may get one of these Vulcans one day if $800 or so falls in my lap, just to see what it is like.
    Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    Lincoln SquareWave Tig 200
    Miller Spectrum 125c
    Oxy/Acetylene
    Optrel e684, Lincoln 3350, Speedglas 9100xx, Klutch 800 Series
    Lathe and Milling Machines

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerje View Post
    They must be you can see where he started over several times after he stopped to rotate the cans. I'm going to have to try that with my sw200. I may get one of these Vulcans one day if $800 or so falls in my lap, just to see what it is like.
    Pretty much the same as the Lincoln SW200 but with a pulse that goes up to 200pps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by C. Livingstone View Post
    Gee,

It looks like that's just what the panel is set for.

I believe the unit goes down to 10 amps.

I'm still curious to hear from someone who says the arc starts on AC are great!
    I have had mine for about 4 months and have used it about 50 hours on both steel and aluminum.
    Have had 4 bad arc starts out of about a couple of thousand. Two when the ground was faulty and two when I forgot to turn on the gas.
    Other than that, the arc starts are perfectly fine. Hold the tungsten anywhere near the work, push the peddle down and poof, a flash and a nice steady smooth arc.
    I like the peddle, the gauges are fine, the clamp and torches are fine. Even the HF rod works fine.
    Pick up a welding helmet that says it is for TIG. The welder goes down to 10 amps and my older helmets refuse to darken with such a low light level.
    I have also used the DC stick welder function and it also is really smooth. No starting problems with 6011, 6013, 7018 and 308 stainless. 308 stainless is a delight. If you haven't done it, DC inverter stick welding is a lot more civilized than AC.
    I am pretty sure that most of the TIG inverter machines use similar high freq starting circuitry and it is pretty sophisticated. If there is something wrong with the electron flow because of a bad ground or no gas, it won't start. It says so in the manual (as if Chuckie has ever read a manual.)
    I bought mine during the Christmas sale for $699 and another $100 for the 3 year warranty. That's only $266 a year.
    If only argon was so cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

No real dog in this Vulcan fight, but see people happy with them, and the price is good on them.

I was at the local Walgreens tonight waiting for a prescription to be filled, so I stumble over to the magazine rack. Not a lot of magazines, but a few car magazines, and I've been thinking about getting a vintage pickup, and the thought of a rat rod can be an interesting project...ah, I see Hot Rod magazine...darn, haven't looked in one for at least 20 years...and what do I see almost immediately after opening it is a 3 or 4 page spread about Vulcan welders. Nice looking article, it wasn't an ad per se, but said they worked with HFT in Calabassas, CA with the welders and such...

This seemed like smart coverage, targeted at a specific crowd of people with all of their machines. People who work on cars do a fair amount of fabricating and welding...not somewhere I would expect to see a Lincoln or Miller article either...the industry is changing all the time...

Touche' to HFT...

EDIT: Maybe this was the article: http://www.hotrod.com/articles/weld-...will-surprise/
    Last edited by TraditionalToolworks; 04-17-2018 at 03:36 AM. Reason: add url to possible online article

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Denny98501 View Post
    I have had mine for about 4 months and have used it about 50 hours on both steel and aluminum.
    Have had 4 bad arc starts out of about a couple of thousand. Two when the ground was faulty and two when I forgot to turn on the gas.
    Other than that, the arc starts are perfectly fine. Hold the tungsten anywhere near the work, push the peddle down and poof, a flash and a nice steady smooth arc.
    I like the peddle, the gauges are fine, the clamp and torches are fine. Even the HF rod works fine.
    Pick up a welding helmet that says it is for TIG. The welder goes down to 10 amps and my older helmets refuse to darken with such a low light level.
    I have also used the DC stick welder function and it also is really smooth. No starting problems with 6011, 6013, 7018 and 308 stainless. 308 stainless is a delight. If you haven't done it, DC inverter stick welding is a lot more civilized than AC.
    I am pretty sure that most of the TIG inverter machines use similar high freq starting circuitry and it is pretty sophisticated. If there is something wrong with the electron flow because of a bad ground or no gas, it won't start. It says so in the manual (as if Chuckie has ever read a manual.)
    I bought mine during the Christmas sale for $699 and another $100 for the 3 year warranty. That's only $266 a year.
    If only argon was so cheap.
    no problems running 6011 ? does the arc sputter or go out easy ? some say HF 6011 rod is hard to use but i found it easy to use but did notice some rods the flux covered the ends so i had to tap start not scratch start.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WNY_TomB View Post
    no problems running 6011 ? does the arc sputter or go out easy ? some say HF 6011 rod is hard to use but i found it easy to use but did notice some rods the flux covered the ends so i had to tap start not scratch start.
    I just keep a set of side cutting pliers next to the bench and give the rod a little snip to knock a bit of flux off and have no problems. I also keep the ground pretty close to the work and attach the ground to the work when it is convenient.. DC starts seem a little different than AC starts, at least for me. Scratch, lift a bit, hold half a second and go. DC welding just seems a little gentler. I keep a short arc and low amperage (it all seems to work best at the minimum amperage mentioned in the manual. The HF rod seems to work as well as the other stuff that I have around here.

I really think that all these small inverter welders need a better ground than the old transformer systems. The voltage drop through iron tables and a layer of dirt and slag causes enough resistance to mess up the inverter feedback electronics in the machine. I am pretty sure that it is what Chuckie was fighting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Denny98501 View Post
    I just keep a set of side cutting pliers next to the bench and give the rod a little snip to knock a bit of flux off and have no problems. I also keep the ground pretty close to the work and attach the ground to the work when it is convenient.. DC starts seem a little different than AC starts, at least for me. Scratch, lift a bit, hold half a second and go. DC welding just seems a little gentler. I keep a short arc and low amperage (it all seems to work best at the minimum amperage mentioned in the manual. The HF rod seems to work as well as the other stuff that I have around here.

I really think that all these small inverter welders need a better ground than the old transformer systems. The voltage drop through iron tables and a layer of dirt and slag causes enough resistance to mess up the inverter feedback electronics in the machine. I am pretty sure that it is what Chuckie was fighting.
    i tap start rod never have to worry about anything on end of rod. my inverter not a Vulcan but a HF machine does not like high amps for rod size. 120 amps with 1/8 6011 is unstable but 5/32 6011 works good. if i try to pull a 1/4" long arc and maintain it arc normally goes out. after maybe 1/2 second machine i believe stops arc on purpose. i believe it is a safety built in to prevent a long arc for long periods. if using Tig it helps to lift and arc go out if arc 1/4" or longer that way argon shielding is maintained for the most part. obviously if machine can pull a 1/2" Tig arc then to stop arc it would be easy to oxidize that spot.
    yes i use 25 feet of welding cable extension on electrode holder and one for ground but thats enough as i just move machine closer to work

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. After many years of wanting to try tig I am finally in a position to start looking at machines. Would the protig 200 be an ok unit to learn/tinker with?

Post Thanks / Like

Would the protig 200 be an ok unit to learn/tinker with?
    It is designed to make life easier for beginners while still having enough capabilities for almost all welders, except maybe industrial applications. Plus with the one year risk free trial, if you get frustrated with TIG welding, just bring it back and get all your money back. I would say its perfect for you.
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Thanks man!

California State University Northridge(Earthquake '94) just thanked me for lending them a pre-production Vulcan that they used to weld thier AISC steel bridge entry.
    I lived 5 miles from the epicenter on that one...that's the biggest quake I've been in.

More damage where I worked next to the Santa Monica airport where the building was condemned.

Are they still working on getting the buildings back up after almost 15 years?

I packed up what I had left (we lost a crap load of belongings) and moved up north about 6 months after the quake...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TraditionalToolworks View Post
    I lived 5 miles from the epicenter on that one...that's the biggest quake I've been in.

More damage where I worked next to the Santa Monica airport where the building was condemned.

Are they still working on getting the buildings back up after almost 15 years?

I packed up what I had left (we lost a crap load of belongings) and moved up north about 6 months after the quake...
    All the damage has either been torn down or rebuilt long ago. That quake was about 24 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

All the damage has either been torn down or rebuilt long ago. That quake was about 24 years ago.
    Duh...not 15 years, 25 years...certainly I know that...

So when did they use the Vulcans on that? I would expect some cluster f#@$ on the State's part (CSUN is a State institution as the name implies), but the time frame doesn't make sense. Did they do some updates to that same building that was rebuilt?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TraditionalToolworks View Post
    Duh...not 15 years, 25 years...certainly I know that...

So when did they use the Vulcans on that? I would expect some cluster f#@$ on the State's part (CSUN is a State institution as the name implies), but the time frame doesn't make sense. Did they do some updates to that same building that was rebuilt?
    The Vulcan I lent them was to a student team on their steel bridge entry for the ASCE engineering contest. I teach these kids how to tig weld the bridge components. This year they incorporated some 4130 to the weldments. Most other schools pay guys like me to weld their bridges. https://www.facebook.com/CSUNSteelBridge/
    Last edited by shovelon; 04-27-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The Vulcan I lent them was to a student team on their steel bridge entry for the ASCE engineering contest. I teach these kids how to tig weld the bridge components. This year they incorporated some 4130 to the weldments. Most other schools pay guys like me to weld their bridges. https://www.facebook.com/CSUNSteelBridge/
    That's a great service you do for the student team!

Post Thanks / Like

The best part is you are getting future engineers actual hands on with welding and construction.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy's kid goes to UPenn to study engineering. The have a highly acclaimed robotics team that is reportedly difficult to get on to. Lots of people apply and only a couple are selected each year. His kid got on because he had a basic understanding of stick and MIG welding that he picked up from his Mexican immigrant grandad, God bless him. How he does a fair amount of the fabrication on their robots. I think everyone should know a bit of basic welding.
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    My buddy's kid goes to UPenn to study engineering. The have a highly acclaimed robotics team that is reportedly difficult to get on to. Lots of people apply and only a couple are selected each year. His kid got on because he had a basic understanding of stick and MIG welding that he picked up from his Mexican immigrant grandad, God bless him. How he does a fair amount of the fabrication on their robots. I think everyone should know a bit of basic welding.
    In our local high schools we have the FIRST program, which is really good for the kids. It prepares them for further robotics education should they wish to pursue. In the FIRST program some of the kids learn how to weld, but it depends on the program. The teams for each school are allowed a percentage of "professional" help, and the majority of them use experienced NASA welders to weld their robotics components together with that percentage of "professional" help.

When I first got into machining I became friends with such a kid in the FIRST program. He was already becoming a decent machinist when I met him, and he helped me make an aluminum fixture for slotting brass and bronze. That was in his senior year, he was heading up the FIRST team at one of the local high schools.

He went on to a program as you mention at UPenn, but he went to WPI in Boston. which I'm told is one of the better robotics schools.

He has now been working for a manufacturing company and involved in the manufacture of products...

All that said, these robotics programs is what often gets our youth involved in machining and even welding.

Post Thanks / Like

My 11 year old daughter took an interest in robotics, I bought her a Lego Mindstorms EV3 a couple years ago. I'll have to tell her about this program and look for schools that have it.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    My 11 year old daughter took an interest in robotics, I bought her a Lego Mindstorms EV3 a couple years ago. I'll have to tell her about this program and look for schools that have it.
    That reminds me of taking the kids to LegoLand in San Diego when they were young. There's a Mindstorm building there and they hold a friendly competition between the parents and their kids. You build the lego robot that you prefer and then program in on a computer in the room. You get to select a sports type robot, one is a basketball robot, another is a baseball robot, and possibly a football robot...depending on the complexity you get a number of points for taking a small ball, and getting it to the center, if it's a basketball you shoot the ball, football you kick it, etc...anyway, most of the parents were having their kids do the robot which got the most points, but I told my son, "let's pick the one that is easiest to pickup and move the ball...we got the least amount of points per ball...but we easily won because those idiot parents that tried to make it complicated for their kids were trying to get their first ball into the center of the board.

This is a good reminder for anyone helping kids, trying to teach them, and especially teaching them to weld. Simple projects are the best, do something that they can weld and keep, maybe weld something to a horseshoe, or a trinket for a key fob...that's a sure way to grab their interest. I have used this technique in the local elementary schools to teach the kids computers. Kids are way easier to teach computers then adults...I'm not good enough to teach anyone how to weld.