+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vulcan Pro-tig 200 thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vulcan Pro-tig 200 thread

I got mine in the mail today, got lucky on eBay and got it at a steep discount new in box. Free shipping too.

In a nutshell, I’m very happy. My Everlast machine was having some problems that were quoted at $450 + shipping both ways. Got the ProTig 200 for not much more. The ProTig gives me several features that my PowerTig 185 didn’t have, 15 more max amps, and my stick welding went from 150 to 170 available amps. Lost AC stick welding though.

My impressions:
    The build of the machine seems to be pretty robust.
    Controls are easy to navigate, the amperage adjustment is way better than my PowerTig’s.
    Really like the power switch on front.
    The fact that it includes everything you need including a *foot pedal* even tungsten, is awesome given the price
    The torch lead is kinda stiff and squirrelly to wrangle, but works perfectly.
    Have had no issues with arc starts at all on steel and aluminum, dont know why chuckee was having an issue.
    Pulse and frequency work well.
    I like that I have a year to swap it if anything screws up, as well as just driving to the store instead of mailing it.
    Detachable power cord is nice

I’m relatively new to welders, but this seems like a quality product, especially considering its price and place in the market. I know HF has a reputation for junk, but I don’t have any reason to knock it. Hopefully the story is the same down the road, if I have any issues I’ll certainly post them here.
    -Mark Smith

Miller Bobcat 250
    Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!

Chucke had his problem because I belive his tungsten was contaminated. if you accidentally dip your tungsten, be sure to re grind it right away or swap out for a clean one.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Congrats!

Chucke had his problem because I belive his tungsten was contaminated. if you accidentally dip your tungsten, be sure to re grind it right away or swap out for a clean one.
    Yeah, I like chucke for his simplistic introduction to welding for beginners, and like watching some of his projects. Like others have mentioned though, I think when it comes to equipment reviews he has a negative bias against brands that he isn’t sponsored by/payed to promote. I find I’m watching him less, and less as I become more familiar with welding. Between the paid promos, and the advertisements it’s like watching commercials, while watching a commercial. You could tell in his Vulcan reviews that before he even opened the box he wasn’t going into it seriously/being objective.

I am glad I read this thread, and am thankful to shovelon for sharing his experiences in the development of this machine. Really it’s what swayed me into giving this machine a go. For the price, it has got to be one of the best buys out there for a complete 200A AC/DC TIG machine. I say that anticipating no serious problems in the near future, only time will tell if it holds true or not.
    -Mark Smith

Miller Bobcat 250
    Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Post Thanks / Like

Upgraded my old scratch start machine to the new ProTig 200. Being able to instantlly upgrade the torch using the gas lens from my old 17 valve torch was a plesant suprise.
    However there was gas regulator issue which could have ened up blowing out the solenoid. Luckily I was paying close attenion to the flow rate as I watched the regulator creep beyond my output setting. A quick trip to the local Harbor Freight was all it took to swap out the bad reg for a new one.
    The only problem is, Im now eyeing the discounted machine from which I was given the regulator. The devil on my shoulder says take full advantage of the risk free trial, return the machine and get the discounted one without the reg. We are talking a savings of $130 and a 20 minute round trip drive. Someone talk me out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

To me that would be dishonest and I don't care for that kind of crap. JMO
    Primeweld TIG225ACDCP
    Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    Lincoln SquareWave Tig 200
    Miller Spectrum 125c
    Oxy/Acetylene
    Optrel e684, Lincoln 3350, Speedglas 9100xx, Klutch 800 Series
    Lathe and Milling Machines

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -zer0 View Post
    Upgraded my old scratch start machine to the new ProTig 200. Being able to instantlly upgrade the torch using the gas lens from my old 17 valve torch was a plesant suprise.
    However there was gas regulator issue which could have ened up blowing out the solenoid. Luckily I was paying close attenion to the flow rate as I watched the regulator creep beyond my output setting. A quick trip to the local Harbor Freight was all it took to swap out the bad reg for a new one.
    The only problem is, Im now eyeing the discounted machine from which I was given the regulator. The devil on my shoulder says take full advantage of the risk free trial, return the machine and get the discounted one without the reg. We are talking a savings of $130 and a 20 minute round trip drive. Someone talk me out of it.
    Wouldn't you still be out a regulator? From my talks with them they don't care if you take advantage of the satisfaction guaranty. They want you to have a positive experience and share it on the boards.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerje View Post
    To me that would be dishonest and I don't care for that kind of crap. JMO
    -zer0 ignore this obnoxious post please who cares what I don't care for? Let your conscience be your guide.
    Primeweld TIG225ACDCP
    Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    Lincoln SquareWave Tig 200
    Miller Spectrum 125c
    Oxy/Acetylene
    Optrel e684, Lincoln 3350, Speedglas 9100xx, Klutch 800 Series
    Lathe and Milling Machines

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -zer0 View Post
    I was looking at a Vulcan in a store and the box had obviously been opened and while it seemed all the parts were there, most of the internal packaging was missing. I suspected a return, but wasn't sure. I asked someone if they had an unopened one in the back.

The guy went to look, but he didn't return. Instead a manager did and offered me a deal on the opened one (seems it was the only one they had). The deal wasn't that great (not $130 off) and he said I would have a week to bring it back if it didn't work. I said "what about the one year warranty?" He said all you get is a week to make sure it works on a discounted, open box item.

Not worth it to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
    all you get is a week to make sure it works on a discounted, open box item.
    On someone else's customer return?

Oh hell no.
    * Amico MIG-130A Flux, Dual Voltage. Truly portable!
    * HF MIG-180 with all the mods. Heavy.
    * Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig 130/160.
    * Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    On someone else's customer return?

Oh hell no.
    Yeah, I don't know if that is a company-wide policy or what. But either way, I wasn't about to take that chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Good call on skipping out on that open box without the Vulcan risk free warranty. Wonder if the same applies to the one I grabbed the reg from. $730 @ the Harbor Freight in Flint Mi if anyone wants to call and see if they can scoop it up.

The reg issue wasn't that pressing for me anyway, since I have a few other regs. Another nice thing about the ProtTg is the reg comes with a Co2 threaded collet. Not that you can use it with that machine, but its a suprise addition if you are running a mig machine and want to use Co2. I've been in the market for a bottle, so thank you Harbor Freight for getting me one step closer.

Post Thanks / Like

Did some 3 Pass fillets with 1/8” 7018 on 3/8th plate with my new ProTig 200. I will remark that this machine has a pretty nice DC arc, It definitely seems to have the upper hand when it comes to the first pass over my old PowerTig 185. I’ll get a small box of 6011 when I go to the store next, my old PowerTig hated running 6011 with a passion.

Really enjoying the challenge of learning TIG on it too, as a hobby/student level welder I’m really happy with this machine. I have yet to hit the duty cycle on it so far. And I’ve been DC TIGn some steel at 200A. Probably because My knuckles can only take so much heat.
    -Mark Smith

Miller Bobcat 250
    Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Post Thanks / Like

Any opinions on the duty cycle? Seems a bit low.

Post Thanks / Like

The rated duty cycle is 25% at 200 amps and 100% at 100 amps. So a rough guesstimate is it is 60% duty cycle at somewhere around 155 amps. So two questions for you: How often is a self confessed hobby guy going to be running this flat out at 200 amps? The Everlast unit that comes closest to this machine in price is their powertig 185. It has a max output of 185 amps and 60% duty cycle at 145 amps. Sure the Alphatig has a higher duty cycle, but it can't stick weld near as nice. Honestly, if you need more duty cycle, none of these three welders are what you need. 2. How often is a self professed hobby guy going to actually weld above 150 amps? Probably not that often really. I really believe that except for Moto, most people here don't do a lot of aluminum work at home.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grumpycricket View Post
    Well, I was practicing TIG today, pedal to the floor most of the time at 200A. I was padding beads, using the included 17 size Torch. I stopped briefly once to resharpen tungsten, and once to grab a few more sticks of filler. I did not hit duty cycle.

Here’s a pic(not to show my abilities as a welder, I am still learning), but to show you how much weld I put down without hitting the duty cycle at 200A DC.

My feeling is for most non production weldors, the duty cycle will be fine. How often are you going to be running beads at 200A for two straight minutes?

Name:  D28C4CD3-D25C-41BB-8F25-F4637FD5007D.jpg
Views: 1696
Size:  205.0 KB
    -Mark Smith

Miller Bobcat 250
    Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    The rated duty cycle is 25% at 200 amps and 100% at 100 amps. So a rough guesstimate is it is 60% duty cycle at somewhere around 155 amps. So two questions for you: How often is a self confessed hobby guy going to be running this flat out at 200 amps? The Everlast unit that comes closest to this machine in price is their powertig 185. It has a max output of 185 amps and 60% duty cycle at 145 amps. Sure the Alphatig has a higher duty cycle, but it can't stick weld near as nice. Honestly, if you need more duty cycle, none of these three welders are what you need. 2. How often is a self professed hobby guy going to actually weld above 150 amps? Probably not that often really. I really believe that except for Moto, most people here don't do a lot of aluminum work at home.
    Thanks. Your input helps. Btw, who's the self professed "hobby guy"? My primary machine is a miller 330 a/bp. At work, a dynasty 280. I'm thinking of setting up the pro-tig in my basement ... for my metal sculpture "hobby".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mmock4 View Post
    Well, I was practicing TIG today, pedal to the floor most of the time at 200A. I was padding beads, using the included 17 size Torch. I stopped briefly once to resharpen tungsten, and once to grab a few more sticks of filler. I did not hit duty cycle.

Here’s a pic(not to show my abilities as a welder, I am still learning), but to show you how much weld I put down without hitting the duty cycle at 200A DC.

My feeling is for most non production weldors, the duty cycle will be fine. How often are you going to be running beads at 200A for two straight minutes?

Name:  D28C4CD3-D25C-41BB-8F25-F4637FD5007D.jpg
Views: 1696
Size:  205.0 KB
    That sounds encouraging. I have a 330 a/bp for continuous 200A+ welding. I want the pro-tig for my basement shop, and portability. Btw, I like how you spell "weldor"!������

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grumpycricket View Post
    That sounds encouraging. I have a 330 a/bp for continuous 200A+ welding. I want the pro-tig for my basement shop, and portability. Btw, I like how you spell "weldor"!������
    I’ve got the feeling that if you want it for doing metal sculpture in your basement, you’ll be pretty satisfied. I’m sure if your doing art, you’ll be doing plenty of cutting, bending, and fitting between welds. If the duty cycle is your concern, it probably is a non issue. The machine has adjustable pulse, and frequency, synergic post flow and honest to goodness foot pedal control. It doesn’t do all the fancy wave forms, and adjustable upslope, background current, etc. etc. etc. that some of the fancy Schmancy machines have. Not sure if those are important for your usage or not. But in mine, and quite a few other weldors opinions she offers you quite a good bang for your buck in a complete AC/DC TIG/Stick package. The harbor freight’s right around the corner, so if I ever have a problem they’ll swap me out a new one for up to one year no questions asked, you got the option to extend that to 3 years for some extra $. Many are of the opinion that if it(and many other budget conscious welders) doesn’t poop the bed in the first several months, it probably won’t. So long as you give em the little bit of recommended maintenance. An experienced weldor such as yourself might like to upgrade the torch, and work clamp, but the ones supplied work just fine. It includes a regulator style flow meter, that you may or may not want to upgrade from. Power switch is on front, which is a nice convienice compared to some other machines in its price bracket, and the settings are very easy and intuitive to navigate.

Give her a look, just know what she is, and isn’t, then consider the price, and the considerations like the 1 year guarantee, and optional extended coverage. If you buy an Everlast, AHP, or other Import just beware that if/when you do have an issue you will have to mail it out, and then wait for repair, and then mail it back. This gets very costly if it’s out of warranty(why I no longer own the PowerTig 185DV).
    -Mark Smith

Miller Bobcat 250
    Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve got the feeling that if you want it for doing metal sculpture in your basement, you’ll be pretty satisfied. I’m sure if your doing art, you’ll be doing plenty of cutting, bending, and fitting between welds. If the duty cycle is your concern, it probably is a non issue. The machine has adjustable pulse, and frequency, synergic post flow and honest to goodness foot pedal control. It doesn’t do all the fancy wave forms, and adjustable upslope, background current, etc. etc. etc. that some of the fancy Schmancy machines have. Not sure if those are important for your usage or not. But in mine, and quite a few other weldors opinions she offers you quite a good bang for your buck in a complete AC/DC TIG/Stick package. The harbor freight’s right around the corner, so if I ever have a problem they’ll swap me out a new one for up to one year no questions asked, you got the option to extend that to 3 years for some extra $. Many are of the opinion that if it(and many other budget conscious welders) doesn’t poop the bed in the first several months, it probably won’t. So long as you give em the little bit of recommended maintenance. An experienced weldor such as yourself might like to upgrade the torch, and work clamp, but the ones supplied work just fine. It includes a regulator style flow meter, that you may or may not want to upgrade from. Power switch is on front, which is a nice convienice compared to some other machines in its price bracket, and the settings are very easy and intuitive to navigate.

Give her a look, just know what she is, and isn’t, then consider the price, and the considerations like the 1 year guarantee, and optional extended coverage. If you buy an Everlast, AHP, or other Import just beware that if/when you do have an issue you will have to mail it out, and then wait for repair, and then mail it back. This gets very costly if it’s out of warranty(why I no longer own the PowerTig 185DV).
    Thanks Mark, you guessed right about me. I already have a lot of accessories, ie; flow meters, torches, ground clamps. Thanks again for your review. I see me getting one soon, I'm 5 miles from a HF store.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I just can’t seem to catch a break..

Fired the ProTig up to practice, in the middle of placing some tacks with the Tig Torch I hear a very load *pop* machine shuts down. Breaker tripped - Reset. Machine is dead.

Harbor Freight won’t Guarantee it -purchased through an online retailer. Have to have Proof of Purchase in the Harbor Freight Network. Keep that in mind, if you go to purchase one.

Tried to get to the boards to see if it was a bad capacitor, they’ve made it all but inaccessible. A billion screws, Cowlings, glued connections everywhere.. bah.

So tommorow, I get to see who; if anyone will be able to repair it, and then if it’s going to be reasonable. Fun.
    Last edited by Mmock4; 06-05-2018 at 08:34 PM.
    -Mark Smith

Miller Bobcat 250
    Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Post Thanks / Like

Buy another one, they take back the one you have for a refund....
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

I think people misinterpret not hitting the over temp cut-out as the same as not being over the duty cycle.

Just an opinion though.

I often weld in the 230-250 amp range. But my machine is very large and doesn't mind
    Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 06-05-2018 at 10:06 PM.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    I think people misinterpret not hitting the over temp cut-out as the same as not being over the duty cycle.

Just an opinion though.

I often weld in the 230-250 amp range. But my machine is very large and doesn't mind
    I was going to say the same thing. The idea of the thermal cutout is to prevent (hopefully) the machine from catastrophic failure from overheating. But even that will only work if the sensor is working and the system is designed so that the sensor signals shutdown before any component is above rated failure temps. There are a lot of factors that can effect that. And I doubt any company wants the thermal cutoff set too close to the duty cycle, which could cause nuisance shutdowns and customer complaints.

The duty cycle rating is supposed to keep components from getting to unsafe temps in the first place. Electronic components can have drastically reduced life when operated above nominal temps. Capacitors, for example, have a rule of thumb of half the life expectancy for every 10*C increase in operating temp. So for example, say a certain capacitor won't outright fail until it reaches 105C. It would still have half the operating life if run at 90C vs. 80C. And 1/4 life compared to operating at 70C, etc. Heat kills electronics.

And remember, duty cycle is a percent of 10 minutes, so low duty cycles can easily be exceeded even if you aren't welding continuously. If you weld for a minute, stop for a minute, weld for a minute, stop for a minute, weld for another minute, you've just exceeded a 25% duty cycle. Even though you had a minute of time between each minute of welding, you welded for three minutes out of the last 5. Even if you paused for the next five minutes you still are at 30% duty cycle for those ten minutes. If you only paused four minutes then welded for another minute, you would be at 40% duty cycle, as you've welded for four minutes out of the last ten.

Just something to keep in mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I just can’t seem to catch a break..

Fired the ProTig up to practice, in the middle of placing some tacks with the Tig Torch I hear a very load *pop* machine shuts down. Breaker tripped - Reset. Machine is dead.

Harbor Freight won’t Guarantee it -purchased through an online retailer. Have to have Proof of Purchase in the Harbor Freight Network. Keep that in mind, if you go to purchase one.

Tried to get to the boards to see if it was a bad capacitor, they’ve made it all but inaccessible. A billion screws, Cowlings, glued connections everywhere.. bah.

So tommorow, I get to see who; if anyone will be able to repair it, and then if it’s going to be reasonable. Fun.
    Wow, sorry to hear that. Hopefully you get something figured out. First report I've seen of a failure of one of the Vulcan welders.

Good luck.

Edit: What is the seller's return policy?
    Last edited by BigTB; 06-06-2018 at 04:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    Buy another one, they take back the one you have for a refund....
    ^^^This.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist