+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which brands?

Post Thanks / Like

Which brands?

Hi. Brand new to this site. Have started welding as a hobby and am about to purchase my first mig machine. I am curious about these off brand machines that are so inexpensive. Do they stand the test of time? Will I regret buying one instead of the more trusted brands? Speaking of which: what are the brands i should stick to, other than Lincoln, Miller or Hobart?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which brands?

Use the search on weldingweb, plenty of info. You should be able to do that much.

Post Thanks / Like

Stick with Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart. You're going to get what you pay for, just like anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to say, I bought an offbrand last year and LOVE IT. To me it welds better/easier than any of the lincolns I have used.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Go to the closest three welding supply places to your place. Ask what they recommend.Buying on the net or a fastweld "restaurant"(depot, lowes. sears. target. etc etc)...good luck. The LWS is generally a dirtbag company but they hire guys that have some---or a lot--- of knowledge. Lotsa gray headed sales people.

Post Thanks / Like

Go down below to the Harbor Freight section and read Shovelon's comments on the Vulcan Protig 200. I rewarded myself with two new Lincoln machines last fall after several decades of welding with cheap Sears rigs and had to really struggle before deciding on Lincoln over the new Vulcan line by Harbor Freight, at half the price of what I paid for the red machines. Vulcan also makes a very nice mig/stick machine.
    Primeweld TIG225ACDCP
    Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    Lincoln SquareWave Tig 200
    Miller Spectrum 125c
    Oxy/Acetylene
    Optrel e684, Lincoln 3350, Speedglas 9100xx, Klutch 800 Series
    Lathe and Milling Machines

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerje View Post
    Go down below to the Harbor Freight section and read Shovelon's comments on the Vulcan Protig 200. I rewarded myself with two new Lincoln machines last fall after several decades of welding with cheap Sears rigs and had to really struggle before deciding on Lincoln over the new Vulcan line by Harbor Freight, at half the price of what I paid for the red machines. Vulcan also makes a very nice mig/stick machine.
    Go ask for a feed motor or fan ( pretend you had a lightening strike) The LWS will have all that for their machines and the guys can instruct you on replacement techniques.

Post Thanks / Like

I think most people are happy with “off” brands as long as they know their limits
    It’s the guys that spend $100 on a mig trying to weld 1/2” plate and have unreal expectations that you hear bitch a lot

The Vipermig 180 I sell got about the best review you can get on weldercritic.com
    Figure out what you want out of a welder and the budget and pick a few and narrow it down from there
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

I've been happy enough with my mig 175 from Eastwood that I will likely get a 250 amp mig from them. I only weld as a hobby though. If for commercial service, it only makes sense to get a brand carried by your LWS, because downtime waiting for a replacement part is costly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hobart really is pretty affordable. It's a true workhorse brand. Good warrantee. I would really look into them. Even check your local craigslist or Facebook on used machines. If your limited to 110v the hobart handler 140 is an awesome machine. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. Today I purchased a Miller 211. After lots of thought and consideration of your comments, this was the machine for me. Expensive, but I am reasonably sure it will prove to be worth it. Bought it from a local dealer where I can get good advice, repairs if necessary and of course gas and consumables. I like to support our local businesses. Thanks again for your support.

Post Thanks / Like

Wise choice, you'll be happy. The off brand import machine manufacturers delete any negative posts or comments. There are many stories here about them and not good.

Post Thanks / Like

ESAB is a top brand equal to the 3 you initially mentioned.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Buy used?
    Gina M. Tabasso
    HGR Industrial Surplus
    gtabasso@hgrinc.com
    www.hgrinc.com

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy your Miller! Good choice.
    Gina M. Tabasso
    HGR Industrial Surplus
    gtabasso@hgrinc.com
    www.hgrinc.com

Post Thanks / Like

ESAB does not spend big bucks advertising and promoting their products in the schools as much as they should have. I think they may be changing and trying some education programs. Well at least weld.com has some esab machines. Any way, in HS I took sheet metal and welding and the school had Lincoln machines. So it kind of stuck as a trusted brand.

To the OP. You should be happy with the 211, hopefully you don't have a wobbly drive motor.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 03-27-2018 at 12:03 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gmt View Post
    Buy used?
    Believe, me, nothing would have made me smile more than to find a used dual voltage machine. But, alas, I subscribed (free) to an internet feed app called "IFTT" which allows for searching for just about anything, and along with a Craigs List search, I got no hits. So I paid retail. I know, a dirty word, but I'm in this for the long haul so not an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you
    I have owned both Miller and Hobart they both work great same machine for over 30 years . Lincoln was to pricey
    Today I have HF170 due budget

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by gatemaster View Post
    Stick with Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart. You're going to get what you pay for, just like anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

IFTT lol does it really work. I hear about it... but thought...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodymaples View Post
    Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. Today I purchased a Miller 211. After lots of thought and consideration of your comments, this was the machine for me. Expensive, but I am reasonably sure it will prove to be worth it. Bought it from a local dealer where I can get good advice, repairs if necessary and of course gas and consumables. I like to support our local businesses. Thanks again for your support.
    you made a good choice for a quality unit with a real warranty you dont have to pay shipping to get repaired and a company with real customer service and parts supply....if it meant buying a welder or putting food on the table then the cheap chicom welders are better than nothing to get started ...

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy used. Are you handy with modifying or repairing?
    Gina M. Tabasso
    HGR Industrial Surplus
    gtabasso@hgrinc.com
    www.hgrinc.com

Post Thanks / Like

He already purchased a mm211
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    He already purchased a mm211
    buying welders is like crack, once you start you keep buying more..lol

Post Thanks / Like

Yes and for me the disease carries over into my hobby for Garden Tractors with the multitude of attachments either factory made or home built. My hobby for garden tractors pushed me into hobby welding. Now I fabricate attachments for my GT's

I still have to list a $20 Lincoln Buzzbox to help pay for my mo betta toys
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 04-03-2018 at 02:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist