Thread: question for Jim Colt

Post Thanks / Like

question for Jim Colt

I have a powermax 1250 that is about 15-17 years old but with very little use and have discovered the retaining cap has to be loosened about a turn and retightend every time to use the torch or the machine faults. What is going on? T80 torch.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: question for Jim Colt

Safety feature so that you can't fire the torch with the consumables off or loose. If you take the front end parts off you can see the sensor. May even be the cap.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I had the whole torch head apart thinking I was chasing a broken wire then discovered I have to loosen the retainer cap about a turn and re tighten every time to get it to fire off.

Post Thanks / Like

I also discovered this morning if the trigger is teased enough times it will eventually light off with out loosening and re tightening retaining cap.

Post Thanks / Like

When the cap is overly tightened it can crush the swirl ring (which controls gas flow and is a slide bearing for the blowback electrode), impeding the movement of the electrode. First...you may want to replace the swirl ring, and make a habit of just snugging the cap until you feel some slight resistance. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim. All working fine now. Are all the parts still available for the T-80? Looking around on the internet for parts I see sellers are saying that torch is obsolete.

Post Thanks / Like

Consumables and torch repair parts are still available. The torch assembly is not....as it has been replaced by the Duramax torch...same price, longer consumable life, better cut quality and better long term reliability. Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by lars66 View Post
    Thanks Jim. All working fine now. Are all the parts still available for the T-80? Looking around on the internet for parts I see sellers are saying that torch is obsolete.