+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Guy with a question

Post Thanks / Like

New Guy with a question

I am using a BX1-250c1 welder set up for 120 volts AC. I am using the rods that came with it (1/4" J422) and have tried Lincoln Electric 3/16" 7013s. I have set my amps as low as the welder will let me (90) up to the max for the welder (250). I can not maintain a spark. Usually the rod sticks to the metal, or I get a long arc that flashes out. I am using 3/8" weld steel I bought from ACE Hardware. I have been able to maintain an arc a few times, and I was told the weld looks like a seagull sh*t all over it. Any advice on how to maintain the spark? Make better looking welds? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Guy with a question

Your problems:

1) Using”3/16” electrodes on 120V. Uber fail. Those giant electrodes will NEVER work on 120V as you’re NOT producing sufficient amperage output. 3/16 takes a gang load of amperage on 120V, which I doubt you’ll ever find. Also, 3/16” is extremely large for your little machine, even on 240V and maxed out on your amperage setting. In fact, theyre too large. Get rid of them.

2) Switch to 240V and a 50Amp circuit (outlet) for general use if you can. Call an electrician to instal it for you.

3) you’re using AC. You said you tried Lincoln’s “7013”?.. I’m assuming you misread and it’s “7018” you just might have. Unless they are “7018AC,” you’ll NEVER get them to run right unless you run on 1) DC current and 2) use 220V higher amp output. Again, 50 is minimum in my opinion. 40 amps could work at lower power settings.

4) The best you’ll do on 120V is maybe a 3/32” electrode or smaller.

5) Once you get 240v installed, you can run 1/8” electrodes all day long.

6). If you don’t have DC current available with that machine, you’ll have no choice but to use AC. That’s fine and then you must stick with the basic electrodes. Those being: 6011, 6013, 7014, 7018AC, 7024. You can’t run any 6010’s or regular 7018’s on AC. Those two require DC. current exclusively

Good luck with your quest.
    Last edited by SuperArc; 03-18-2018 at 01:17 AM.
    Lincoln Power Mig 216
    Lincoln AC/DC-225/125

Miller 625 X-Treme Plasma
    Miller 211

Victor Journeyman O/P
    Milwaukee
    Dayton
    Makita
    Baileigh

NRA Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

a quick google shows its an AC transformer welder. basic and cheap as they come.

rod size is the big issue as mentioned above. use 3/32 or smaller.
    i would start with 6013. try to get short rods of you can. thin rods tend to whip a lot.

edit: probably a good idea to upgrade the earth clamp. they are usually horrible on those sorts of welders.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CondorsFan View Post
    I am using a BX1-250c1 welder set up for 120 volts AC. I am using the rods that came with it (1/4" J422) and have tried Lincoln Electric 3/16" 7013s. I have set my amps as low as the welder will let me (90) up to the max for the welder (250). I can not maintain a spark.
    Since you have it set for 120 V, even though you may have the controls set for max amps of 250, there is NO WAY you will 250 amps out of the machine. You will be lucky to get 115-120 amps at best from a 120 V power supply. You are going to NEED 240 V at 50 amps to reach the potential of what your machine may be capable of. It will be a bit of a stretch to expect to run 1/8" rods with any consistency with the limited power input you now have.
    Get some smaller rods as has been already suggested and try them, or upgrade your power input to it. Better yet, do both of those suggestions, then see what you get.

Post Thanks / Like

Go spend about 20 hours watching basic arc welding videos and READ some charts over at Lincoln electric and Hobart/Millers websites under "consumables". Then go play with the welder. They really arent that bad for the buck. They fall under the name Zea Thompson in S. America and "everyone" has one. I've run them. They're OK. Get some 3/32 7014 to play with for a while. They'll run OK maxed out on 110 V and 3/16 thick material to get you started

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist