Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uncontrollable itching and bruising

Post Thanks / Like

Uncontrollable itching and bruising

I started the TIG weld (steel) about 2 years ago. Nine or eight months ago I started welding aluminum (boxes) and noticed a problem that had not happened before (welding steel). On all hot days (over 28 degrees celcious, for example) and after a few hours of welding, I begin to feel a terrible itch in my arms, in the part where the glove covers. It does not cause any pain but an uncontrollable itching that after scratching results in bruising (and then some pain). In the hands also occurs but lightly.

On cold days I can solder for hours and the problem does not occur. I went to the doctor who prescribed me some medicine but it had no effect.

I see 3 solutions:

1) Install an air conditioner (a big one) ($$$ out)
    2) Only welding on cold days (less $$$ in)
    3) Accept the fact and continue with the itch.

Has anyone had similar problem and found a solution?

My gloves are made of ox leather on the arms and goat leather on the hands. I believe that welding steel did not occur because it was always short-time welding.

Thanks all.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Uncontrollable itching and bruising

First would be to figure out if is caused by the gloves, or by exposure or airborne aluminum vaporized by the arc.

Post Thanks / Like

change your gloves etc, if it continues your going to need a doctor and allergy testing. you cant ignore it, allergy reaction can go from annoyance level to your in the ambulance - if your lucky, level almost instantly.

Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago I went through a period of horrible, horrible plaque psoriasis in my hands. I'm subject to subtle psoriasis anyway but this was gawdawfull. I took months to narrow it down but I finally figured out it was one brand of leather gloves that I had been wearing for years but things change with time. I can't do aftershave either... Experiment, make changes, see what you come up with.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Several years ago I went through a period of horrible, horrible plaque psoriasis in my hands. I'm subject to subtle psoriasis anyway but this was gawdawfull. I took months to narrow it down but I finally figured out it was one brand of leather gloves that I had been wearing for years but things change with time. I can't do aftershave either... Experiment, make changes, see what you come up with.
    HMMMMMMM I had that crap for a long time too and the " docs" threw everything at the world at it. NADA. Steroids and the whole bit.
    Turned out to be beta blockers for my (fake) blood pressure "problem" 145/85.Same as my ol mans and he's 92 ! No more BB/no more psoriasis...

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Brazil. I do not find here many welding glove options. Most of them are leather. These I use have been developed for TIG (very soft) and have been quite difficult to find here. Of course I can always import a pair.
    I do not know any other non-leather welding glove material. What other material options are there? What is the least likely to cause adverse reactions?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I just use soft leather gloves from the hardware store.

Some people use the "Ove-glove" product - yes the one for cooking

Name:  Screenshot_2018-03-18-19-11-59.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  55.3 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2018-03-18-19-10-32.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  55.4 KB
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dalzani Lima View Post
    I started the TIG weld (steel) about 2 years ago. Nine or eight months ago I started welding aluminum (boxes) and noticed a problem that had not happened before (welding steel). On all hot days (over 28 degrees celcious, for example) and after a few hours of welding, I begin to feel a terrible itch in my arms, in the part where the glove covers. It does not cause any pain but an uncontrollable itching that after scratching results in bruising (and then some pain). In the hands also occurs but lightly.

On cold days I can solder for hours and the problem does not occur. I went to the doctor who prescribed me some medicine but it had no effect.

I see 3 solutions:

1) Install an air conditioner (a big one) ($$$ out)
    2) Only welding on cold days (less $$$ in)
    3) Accept the fact and continue with the itch.

Has anyone had similar problem and found a solution?

My gloves are made of ox leather on the arms and goat leather on the hands. I believe that welding steel did not occur because it was always short-time welding.

Thanks all.
    Best to buy goat skin off the internet. I have never heard of anyone with allergies to it. My Fav ! Has to be the leather material or the dye.

Post Thanks / Like

I get it elsewhere. The skin doctor calls it Eczema. I was alarmed at a diagnosis I associated with Psoriasis. He chuckled, and said Eczema is another way to say sensitive skin. His prescription for me, and it worked, was to change laundry detergent. Something in the gloves is being leached out by sweat.

I use the Ove Glove shown above. I love them.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was from the bar soap I was using. Mixed with sweat it was like battery acid. Burned like hell and got deep into underside of my forearms. I would lay in bed at night after showering and it was unbearable as it dried out. It was like a chemical burn that got worse every time it got moisture in it. One night I got so miserable I woke up, went to the sink and ripped it out like a scabs. Bled like a stuck hog and wore socks on my arms to keep the crap out. Still have scars and that was 20+ years ago.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh, should mention it may not be so much the leather itself but what gets used or goes on in the tanning process. Maybe even just the dies. It's likely an allergic reaction so you never know just what it is, just that when I wear this or do this bad things happen. I still use the heck out of leather gloves, just no more low budget imports. The ones I was getting were in packs of three from costco, very well could be they changed their source is why this came on after years of wearing the same glove. Who knows, maybe it was me changing too.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    HMMMMMMM I had that crap for a long time too and the " docs" threw everything at the world at it. NADA. Steroids and the whole bit.
    Turned out to be beta blockers for my (fake) blood pressure "problem" 145/85.Same as my ol mans and he's 92 ! No more BB/no more psoriasis...
    You just never know. It's an allergic type reaction with the body going totally warp 6 to solve a problem. I can see where being at the mercy of a doctors guesses you could be in bad shape before he/she makes the right guess. I was going through that cortisone cream by the bucket. I was wearing those cheap mechanic type gloves just so folks didn't have to look at my hands, latex gloves to take a shower, gloves to bed,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    You just never know. It's an allergic type reaction with the body going totally warp 6 to solve a problem. I can see where being at the mercy of a doctors guesses you could be in bad shape before he/she makes the right guess. I was going through that cortisone cream by the bucket. I was wearing those cheap mechanic type gloves just so folks didn't have to look at my hands, latex gloves to take a shower, gloves to bed,,,
    He didn't do squat. Persistance on the internet got me the same statement I just made. Some girl had the exact same thing on the exact same med. Atenolol I believe it was ?
    KEYWORD Beta Blocker Psoriasis. Maybe someone out there with the same issue will see it here too.

Post Thanks / Like

Important information ...

I talked to my wife about this post and she reminded me that a long time ago during the summer I painted a motorcycle fender and on occasion I was wearing latex gloves and I had this same problem. And that she told me that I could be allergic to latex. The allergy passed in a few days and the event was forgotten by me. But she did not forget.

I then thought if my allergy is not independent of glove material but related to sweat on the arm on hot days when wearing gloves. I did a search on Goggle ...

It may just be "brotoeja" (I do not know the name of this allergy in English).

"Also known as heat dermatitis, it is a troublesome problem that can be easily treated and prevented with proper care. It occurs when there is any obstruction in the pores or ducts, usually due to excessive sweat but is trapped inside the skin, which often leads to disruption of the ducts and accumulation of fluid.This condition gives rise to the small elevations in the skin. It usually occurs in babies when mothers wear them with more clothes than they should but can also occur in adults for the same reasons.

I have found several images and are very similar to what appears on my arm: https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram...I3MA% 3D% 3D.2

Post Thanks / Like

Hospitals saw a dramatic drop in latex allergies when they switched to powderless gloves.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    Hospitals saw a dramatic drop in latex allergies when they switched to powderless gloves.
    The powder is cornstarch - should not be related.

They switched to vinal or nitrile gloves.

The vinyl is cheaper, but not as flexible.
    Nitrile can be great , but expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

We still have both latex and nitrile at the hospital I'm at. I did read some research on it. The powder would carry the latex particles into the skin apparently. All the sterile gloves we have are still latex as well.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    We still have both latex and nitrile at the hospital I'm at. I did read some research on it. The powder would carry the latex particles into the skin apparently. All the sterile gloves we have are still latex as well.
    Yep. The latex is more tear resistant.

As for what it could be, the list is long.

Heat rash

Allergy to the goat or ox leather
    Allergy to the leather tanning (chrome tan)
    Both of these could be made worse in hot weather by the sweat carrying allergins from the gloves back to the skin

Allergy to some soap

Skin dried out by too much sweat (it carries off the protective oils)

Anyway, once you figure out the cause, you'll improve quickly. For me, I am allergic to sunlight (look up PMLE), and I find that beyond steroids (when things get bad), moisturizing with jojoba oil works best most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Doctor prescribed a prescription ointment Triamcinolone. A tube the size of toothpaste has lasted years. I can go off to work, by days end, a rash develops that looks raw, like it'd take days to heal! this stuff stops the itch, and in 48 hours it is no longer visible. Time to double rinse the laundry, or check with the Mrs. Sure enough there was a sale on a new laundry detergent.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Doctor prescribed a prescription ointment Triamcinolone. A tube the size of toothpaste has lasted years. I can go off to work, by days end, a rash develops that looks raw, like it'd take days to heal! this stuff stops the itch, and in 48 hours it is no longer visible. Time to double rinse the laundry, or check with the Mrs. Sure enough there was a sale on a new laundry detergent.
    I know that tube well. It lasts me about a year. I got a 454g tub of it on occasions. THAT lasts me for years.
    But triamcinolone (generic for kenalog) is my medium strength stuff. When I'm bad, I turn to the stuff that's probably 5 or 10 times as strong.

https://www.mdedge.com/familypractic...tologists-need

Post Thanks / Like

I got a "rash" in my crotch when I was a kid and spending lots of time on my mini bike, it got so bad that my "nards would crack open and bleed, after many months of trying to fix it myself I finally went to the doctor, he said it was athletes foot, I told him tat isn't my feet & he replied that it was from the same fungus that caused it & told me to put my socks on first and prescribed a cream for it, this was many years ago before the so called cure existed. It cleared up and have had no more problems.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I got a "rash" in my crotch when I was a kid and spending lots of time on my mini bike, it got so bad that my "nards would crack open and bleed, after many months of trying to fix it myself I finally went to the doctor, he said it was athletes foot, I told him tat isn't my feet & he replied that it was from the same fungus that caused it & told me to put my socks on first and prescribed a cream for it, this was many years ago before the so called cure existed. It cleared up and have had no more problems.
    That fungus doesn't tend to affect the wrists, but ringworm, which is closely related can.

Post Thanks / Like

You could be having a reaction from the chemicals in the leather gloves. Harsh chemicals are used in tanning leather, especially in India and China which produce the majority of the worlds leather.

From https://gizmodo.com/how-leather-is-s...tha-1572678618
    Chromium-tanned leather is the most popular form of producing leather these days, and one of the most noxious. It relies on a toxic slush of chromium salts and tanning liquor to produce a supple and often light blue colored product. The prepared hides are first pickled in a vat of chromium until the material's pH drops to 2.8 - 3.2, then they're transferred to a secondary vat filled with tanning liquor which penetrates the leather. Once the liquor has been thoroughly and evenly absorbed, the pH of the vat is increased to between 3.8 and 4.2. This fixes the tanning material to the leather at a molecular level and helps reduce the amount of shrinkage experienced when the leather is submerged in warm water.
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know in the US but in Brazil we have a lot of Chinese products mostly low quality. Here if does not say where it was made is from China. I do not know the manufacturer of my gloves so they must be Chinese.

Autumn has begun. The temperature has begun to drop. My allergy is likely to go away (or not). We will see.

Post Thanks / Like

Honest! I thought I had Jungle Rot. It proved to be an allergy, take away the allergen, all clears up. In my case it is some harsh laundry detergents. Double rinse, or a milder formula, is the prevention. Try Ove Glove I love them Nomex, and Kevlar, they are good to 1200 degree F