+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tool box cleanup !

Post Thanks / Like

Tool box cleanup !

I never did a build thread on this P.O.S. but Coco is laid up with the flu or something and we have a Toyota Cruiser coiming in for a half restore Sat. Gotta clean up. It's just 1x2 frame in Ford Copper with some scrap wood I had laying around .I think you gunners call it Bocote

Name:  P3201611.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  62.5 KB

Name:  P3201612.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  62.5 KB

Name:  P3201613.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  56.9 KB

I didn't get a personality transplant yet but it's inTube-ated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tool box cleanup !

Is there a reason you use wood for tool boxes? or is it just availabl? It looks good. And seems like it would be a lot stiffer than a cheesmo box. does rolling around not bust drawers and stuff loose?
    Last edited by idacal; 03-22-2018 at 11:02 PM.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Same reason machinist boxes are wood. I'm in the rainforest. 94% humidity right now and the temps went from 79 @ 4pm to about 58 now. Disaster in a metal box.
    That cart is rated at 2000 Lbs and the skeleton is all 1 x 2 14ga. It doesn't budge or flex at all.I need to detent the drawers so they don't swing open when turning tho.
    Everything in those red metal boxes is in plastic boxes inside.I did pull a basically new Starrett tap handle out of there today, in its cardboard box, and found some rust.
    I'll be doing a lower height but 6 foot long roller for the other shop when the rainy season sets in. It takes a full week to do one.The wood is curing in the barn.
    The thing is it's only for here. You roll that thing into an air conditioned shop and I think it would be a disaster. People move down with their NC furniture and its trash in 6 months. Wood is some funny stuff.I did most of my furniture in a kiln but it's all 100% sealed up tight. This shop stuff is all linseed oil.

Post Thanks / Like

Ever tried dessecant beads in the drawers. Maybe you could make some dessicant pouches out of screen material and beads that way you can see the color of the beads and know when they needed to be dried and are no longer working to keep moister out.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Good looking box!

Post Thanks / Like

Bonzoo, you need to hold the camera steadier or upgrade your camera if you are going to get serious about youtube. I got sea sick watching that video.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Bonzoo, you need to hold the camera steadier or upgrade your camera if you are going to get serious about youtube. I got sea sick watching that video.
    Looks like a shaky hand while filming.

Nice set of tools btw. Interesting drilling firepower
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

are those steel tipped crocs your wearing?..

Bonzoo, you need to hold the camera steadier or upgrade your camera if you are going to get serious about youtube. I got sea sick watching that video... more like giving a case of vertigo watching the video..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    are those steel tipped crocs your wearing?..
    Don't laugh, I wear steel toed Birkenstock clogs in my home shop, very similar but the only ones I've seen with steel toes. They are plastic, similar to crocs, but no holes. So far no worries with welding in them, the slag just rolls off. For real work, no substitute for a good pair of steel toed Red Wings. Cut 'em off my cold dead feet...

Bonzoo, speaking of cold dead, good you called that puny thing "backup" in the drill drawer. Hopefully you have an ACP in front, pride of America. (hey look, that guy's wearing crocs!)

Post Thanks / Like

That's just to rattle off a couple wake up calls or cap a stray. The Mini is in da laundry about 30 feet away

Post Thanks / Like

Mini as in Mini 14??
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TraditionalToolworks View Post
    Don't laugh, I wear steel toed Birkenstock clogs in my home shop, very similar but the only ones I've seen with steel toes. They are plastic, similar to crocs, but no holes. So far no worries with welding in them, the slag just rolls off. For real work, no substitute for a good pair of steel toed Red Wings. Cut 'em off my cold dead feet...

Bonzoo, speaking of cold dead, good you called that puny thing "backup" in the drill drawer. Hopefully you have an ACP in front, pride of America. (hey look, that guy's wearing crocs!)
    LOL...my luck with an open shoe like that would be some sharp piece of metal cutoff bouncing off the floor right into the shoe and then take a step to send that sharp metal right through the bottom of my foot...along with every small rock and grain of sand..

Post Thanks / Like

Nice box; do you have enough ratchet handles??!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shimanek View Post
    Nice box; do you have enough ratchet handles??!
    LOL.......The Walden, SK Wayne( the only SK worth a damn) and Proto collections are in a red box under the bench, Just another 30-40 or so The crazy part is I actually use them all.I make a point of grabbing a few different for the tool cart every day.Today is Mac 90, Nepros and Matco 88 with an F80 short to the side. The Matco wins the slick contest. The Mac wins comfort. The absolute best for the money ? Gearwrench 84 teeth or EZ Red.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL...my luck with an open shoe like that would be some sharp piece of metal cutoff bouncing off the floor right into the shoe and then take a step to send that sharp metal right through the bottom of my foot...along with every small rock and grain of sand..
    No, the Birks are solid poly, not open, and have steel toes. The reason I wear them at home is we don't wear shoes in our house, so easy to get 'em off and on when I go into the house. These have steel toes, but more important is that they have the Birkenstock cork footbed in them, so they are comfortable to wear.

Last edited by TraditionalToolworks; 03-26-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

No, the Birks are solid poly, not open, and have steel toes. The reason I wear them at home is we don't wear shoes in our house, so easy to get 'em off and on when I go into the house. These have steel toes, but more important is that they have the Birkenstock cork footbed in them, so they are comfortable to wear.

those look pretty slick, and there steeled toed?are they waterproof being they are made of a rubberized material? I have slip on shoes I wear around and do work with( no heavy shop or material lifting), and by open shoe I mean the low area by the ankle compared to a much higher boot, it seems each step throws a small rock that just manages to get over the edge and into the shoe...

Post Thanks / Like

those look pretty slick, and there steeled toed?are they waterproof being they are made of a rubberized material? I have slip on shoes I wear around and do work with( no heavy shop or material lifting), and by open shoe I mean the low area by the ankle compared to a much higher boot, it seems each step throws a small rock that just manages to get over the edge and into the shoe...
    Yes, they are completely waterproof, although if water got inside, it could possibly damage the cork footbed over time, but those are replaceable, the entire footbed fits in and pulls out.

The one problem (yeah, they aren't perfect) is kinda what you mention. If I'm working on the mill or lathe and I'm throwing a lot of chips off, it's possible that one will get inside if you pant leg doesn't cover the top of the shoe, but I've only had that happen a couple times in the past. They are pretty durable and you can see the sole is good for shop and/or working around oil, it's a really durable sole.

That said, I have some 8" high Red Wings with steel toes and those are my goto boots for any serious work...as I said, take them from my cold dead feet...

TT

Post Thanks / Like

I GOT to get a pair of those. It looks stupid running around in shorts with a pair of 16" wellingtons. Yeah. I've welded/fabbed in shorts for 32 years. I do wear a shin length apron I made by butchering a Carharrt bib. I'm about due for a new one a dem too.

Post Thanks / Like

Brand name

AMT Backup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMT_Backup

technically it could be a .45 ACP

Back before all the mini pistols were developed, it was one of the best concealable options.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12345678910 View Post
    Brand name

AMT Backup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMT_Backup

technically it could be a .45 ACP

Back before all the mini pistols were developed, it was one of the best concealable options.
    I have one in .380 and .45 acp, nice small pocket guns...

Post Thanks / Like

I have one in .380 and .45 acp, nice small pocket guns...
    The sear design and the safety kinda suck but it's a very reliable feeder. I tore into it and honed the engagements the other day but the trigger is still about 6-7 lbs. Crisp tho. A PPK/S is a better piece if you can find an older one.Like everything else, new guns, for the most part, are an embarrassment. Especially the garbage coming out of Colt and Smith. Ruger is still reliably "rustic" but he had good designs.
    Basically I hate most new anything.
    I was drill press shopping a while back. Talk about garbage ! I wound up with a 1966.Rockwell 17 1 1/2 hp x 5/8. Looking for the factory low speed adapter. Takes it to under 100 rpm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    A PPK/S is a better piece if you can find an older one.
    Those Walthers are really nice pistols to carry. Nice size, and I would personally prefer a PPK 380 than an ACP Officer...but the Commander is my choice, it just feels right in my hand, packs a punch in 45 ACP, and just a good compromise for me.

That said, my main home defense firearm of choice is a 300 blackout pistol, you can shoot subsonic rounds that have similar fps as a 45 ACP and I have a red dot that makes it bullet proof for lack of a better analogy...

45 ACP Commander is the backup for me.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist