+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TIG cooler anti freeze

Post Thanks / Like

TIG cooler anti freeze

I see a lot of confusion on different sites about whether or not you can use automotive anti freeze in a TIG cooler. My old Bernard cooler has a tag on the top claiming you should use 50-50 automotive anti freeze if it could be subject to freezing as long as there is no leak sealer in the anti freeze. (I have never seen anti freeze that has sealer in it?) I can say as matter of fact that you can use any automotive ethylene glycol in a TIG cooler. The materials used in any chiller or TIG cooler are the same found in an automobile. The older cars had cast iron, brass/copper, aluminum and plastic. Newer cars don't usually have any brass except some heater cores are still brass.Small chillers have no cast iron but maybe stainless, aluminum, brass/copper, plastic. Many industrial chillers use both ethylene glycol and propylene glycol which is probably the main ingredient in TIG fluid. Ethylene glycol also raises the boiling point over distilled water even if you don't need anti freeze. I have seen new coolers that state not to use automotive anti freeze but I suspect this is to sell their own over priced fluid. I use automotive anti freeze in my old Bernard and in a newer cool mate. I hope this helps with any confusion, but might add to it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TIG cooler anti freeze

I'm running dexcool in mine. But I claim no expert knowledge on it being good or bad
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't leave my TIG cooler outside, so I just run distilled water. Works fine.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I don't leave mine out side either, but we loose power around here quite frequently.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the 'sealer' is actually just essentially fine sand. If they actually told you what is in it it would be identified as silicates. The worry about the silicates is they may plug up the small passes in the torch and stop flow. I run Dexcool as well. Supposedly no silicates in Dexcool. Been in my cooler in an un-heated garage in MN for two years with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't leave mine out side either, but we loose power around here quite frequently.
    Me too, but it still hasn't been an issue for me.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

The thing I would be concerned about (if running coolant) is if you had to disconnect the torch from the cooler often, you would be losing coolant from the lines, and this stuff is highly toxic (and tasty) to pets. This is why I only use distilled water. If the pump needs some sort of lubrication through the seals and pump vanes, you could use Red Line Oils WaterWetter. This stuff is also cosidered non toxic.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is an older procon pump sitting on a Rubbermaid tub and has always had automotive 50/50 ethylene glycol/distilled water mix. Mice like it too so it must be good as it cuts down on my cheese bill having no shop cat any longer.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EF5_Tornado View Post
    The thing I would be concerned about (if running coolant) is if you had to disconnect the torch from the cooler often, you would be losing coolant from the lines, and this stuff is highly toxic (and tasty) to pets. This is why I only use distilled water. If the pump needs some sort of lubrication through the seals and pump vanes, you could use Red Line Oils WaterWetter. This stuff is also cosidered non toxic.
    Ethylene glycol is highly toxic, and tasty to pets.
    Propylene glycol is neither all that toxic nor tasty, but is about as good as ethylene glycol in all other respects.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sand_man_red View Post
    I understand the 'sealer' is actually just essentially fine sand. If they actually told you what is in it it would be identified as silicates. The worry about the silicates is they may plug up the small passes in the torch and stop flow. I run Dexcool as well. Supposedly no silicates in Dexcool. Been in my cooler in an un-heated garage in MN for two years with no problems.
    It's not a fine "sand" it's often a chemical called sodium silicate or "water glass" which is used as a sealant. It forms a gel that hardens into a glass like layer, often used to seal concrete. In it's uncured state it's water clear and flows just like water, dries to a glass hard material though when exposed to air.

Post Thanks / Like

So use a gallon of your favourite Bourbon and some distilled water and every ones happy.
    Everlast 250EX
    Miller 250 Syncrowave
    Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
    Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
    Grob 18 in Bandsaw
    Greenlee cut off saw
    Sanford surface grinder
    Deckel style Tool cutter grinder
    and 40+ yrs of etc,etc

Post Thanks / Like

Called Miller's reps twice about that and have been told to use distilled water and change it about every 6 months. They said better not use deionized water because it has the tendency to get ionized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Running demineralised water and automotive coolant on my DIY cooler, after a few years of use I have recently done a remodel (as the new Tig machine is different in size) and there was no gunk or anything mouldy/lumpy in the reservoir or in the lines, still the same pale blue colour I mixed up. I ran 2 or 3 different torches in those years, so it's not stricktly a closed sytem, but exposed to air from time to time, and it has no detectable adverse effects running this mix instead of specific torch coolant.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist