+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Primeweld AC/DC Tig 225X

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Primeweld AC/DC Tig 225X

Quote Originally Posted by Bootleg_diver View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I have searched for days looking for bad reviews like the everlast. Found one guy on YouTube were his 225x was arcing inside and a i think 3 on amazon that left bad reviews other then that it seems to be a good machine its just hard to buy something you are not familiar with.
    I belong to the Facebook groups for Everlast, AHP and Primeweld.

The AHP group has the most issues raised; faulty boards, lousy service etc.
    Second is Everlast with similar issues.
    Last by a long margin is Primeweld. The only issues I’ve seen in six months is a faulty regulator and a faulty breaker.
    In no the cases Primeweld sent new replacements and in the breaker that meant a new machine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David
    Millermatic 130
    Primeweld 225
    Victor Journeymen

2. Likes Tillerdemon, SARR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
    I belong to the Facebook groups for Everlast, AHP and Primeweld.

The AHP group has the most issues raised; faulty boards, lousy service etc.
    Second is Everlast with similar issues.
    Last by a long margin is Primeweld. The only issues I’ve seen in six months is a faulty regulator and a faulty breaker.
    In no the cases Primeweld sent new replacements and in the breaker that meant a new machine!

I keep reading the customer service is outstanding.

4. Likes DavidR8, SARR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I ended up order a 225 thank you for the replies.

6. Likes DavidR8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered one. The only tig I've done before is some messing around with scratch tig. I really liked the quiet and cleanliness it offered. Being stuck at a certain amperage was the only thing I didn't like. Starting low was impossible for me without "flicking" off the filler rod. Will be a whole new experience, heck AC will be completely different.
    I can't wait for the high frequency learning to begin.

8. Likes DavidR8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Enjoying my new 225! DC runs like warm butter, and it's by far a better aluminum welding machine than my old 330a-bp or Thermal arc 250 that I had in the early 2000's.

Anyone know what is causing the failure for those using 110v? Never plan on using 110, but if a simple component can be changed out while under warranty without having to ship the machine for a replacement, I would entertain it. I live in Alaska, and rightfully, shipping expenses are on me.

Post Thanks / Like

First the 110v is at 50 hz, its 120v at 60hz and it should be run on a 30amp or larger circuit when on 120v. The components are rated at 240v you are basically only running it at half power. Now run all your stuff at half power and see how long it will last. If it stops working some times you can plug it into 240v and flip the switch on and off a few times and it will start working again. I think the relays get stuck from arcing because of the low voltage.

No there is nothing you can replace except the main power board if it fails.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

11. Likes Tillerdemon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this one very useful for the beginner only one think should consider before buying it. This brand is not bad one because of the quality. One of the best Tig welder is PRIMEWELD TIG 225 amp.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi y'all.

I am eyeing the Primeweld 225 and figured i'd post in this thread rather than start a new one. I am not a beginner to MIG/TIG/stick, but am also not a welder by trade (been mostly hobby work and a few side gigs for ~8 years). I dont mess with super thick materials (over 1/4in steel or alum) and work mostly on race car fabrication projects such as roll cages, control arms, subframes, etc. Here's the situation:

I currently have a decent condition and well running 70-80's Airco 300A transformer machine. It has some quirks and does not have freq control or a lot of the bells and whistles of the PW225. The Airco is an absolute unit (~800 lbs) and makes moving it a huge PITA. Also the Airco is super loud, especially with the Coolmate4 water cooler. Its a great machine and served me very well, but outdated, loud and takes up a lot of space. Did I mention that its 800LBS?! I have not had any issues with it, but I assume parts may be difficult to find.

My dilemma is this: do I sell the Airco for a couple hundred less than the PW225 and get the newer, smaller, lighter, slightly less powerful machine or stick it out with ol' reliable orange shop machine? I am about to start fabricating some aluminum intercooler pipes and modifying a radiator so the PW225 freq control is very appealing right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
    ----------------------------------------------
    - Airco SC HeliWelder 300A TIG
    - Lincoln HD140 MIG
    - Hobart
    - Wilton 3230 Hrztl. Bandsaw

Post Thanks / Like

If you can do .040 aluminum with the welder you have then stay with it. If you want to do thinner aluminum then that buy a HTP 221 its only $2000 more then the Primeweld. The Primeweld 225 is a very good welder. I have 2 of them one water cooled and one air cooled, but not that good on thin aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks George!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi George. Thanks for the reply! The absolute unit does certainly do well with thin aluminum so I will take that into consideration.
    - Airco SC HeliWelder 300A TIG
    - Lincoln HD140 MIG
    - Hobart
    - Wilton 3230 Hrztl. Bandsaw

Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming this machine eats the Vulcan ProTig's lunch? I am interested, but need a tig quickly. It's a long story which includes two beautiful boats and their not-so beautiful aluminum trailers, a wife who loves the boating, and too much time spent by me farming. I'm trying to keep myself from running down to HF and picking up a Vulcan ProTig or something. Halp.
    1989 Miller Legend AEAD 200LE
    ReadyWelder II with CC/CV power supply

18. Likes DavidR8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deputyrpa View Post
    I'm assuming this machine eats the Vulcan ProTig's lunch? I am interested, but need a tig quickly. It's a long story which includes two beautiful boats and their not-so beautiful aluminum trailers, a wife who loves the boating, and too much time spent by me farming. I'm trying to keep myself from running down to HF and picking up a Vulcan ProTig or something. Halp.
    I’ve heard good things about the Vulcan ProTig.
    That said I’ve also heard good things about the Primeweld. So much so that I own one.
    Their delivery is fast. And their customer service is the best I’ve experienced.

David
    Millermatic 130
    Primeweld 225
    Victor Journeymen

20. Likes deputyrpa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I called Primeweld this morning, and will order one. I should get it quickly. In the meantime, if I leave for the boat launch with two axles and return home with one, I'll call that good.

22. Likes DavidR8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I called Primeweld this morning, and will order one. I should get it quickly. In the meantime, if I leave for the boat launch with two axles and return home with one, I'll call that good.
    Did receive your welder?

David
    Millermatic 130
    Primeweld 225
    Victor Journeymen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
    Did receive your welder?

Yes I did. I got it last Wednesday as the stated! It is awesome I practiced a few beads on some steel plugged into 120, and had to get a different 220 receptacle to run 220V. It's a lovely machine, and I am pleased. Now, plugged into 220V, I am building a simple all-terrain welding cart for it from some 1" square x 1/8th wall tubing. I am using a 3/32 E3 electrode with 1/8" rod, with the welder set at 105 amps. After a few mess-ups burning through the outside corners with 120 amps, I think I have the basics down. Oh year - I stuck the electrode a couple of times too, so I had to stop, break it, and regrind. I ordered a stubby kit for the torch from Jody at Weldmonger. His videos have helped me immensely. That'll help with the inside corners I suppose.

My old HTP Striker hood crapped out on me, and I bought a Miller Digital Elite at the LWS. The clarity amazed me, and I realized that I simply couldn't see what I was doing all of these years. Holy smokes!

25. Likes DavidR8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Primeweld AC/DC Tig 225X

Yes I did. I got it last Wednesday as the stated! It is awesome I practiced a few beads on some steel plugged into 120, and had to get a different 220 receptacle to run 220V. It's a lovely machine, and I am pleased. Now, plugged into 220V, I am building a simple all-terrain welding cart for it from some 1" square x 1/8th wall tubing. I am using a 3/32 E3 electrode with 1/8" rod, with the welder set at 105 amps. After a few mess-ups burning through the outside corners with 120 amps, I think I have the basics down. Oh year - I stuck the electrode a couple of times too, so I had to stop, break it, and regrind. I ordered a stubby kit for the torch from Jody at Weldmonger. His videos have helped me immensely. That'll help with the inside corners I suppose.

My old HTP Striker hood crapped out on me, and I bought a Miller Digital Elite at the LWS. The clarity amazed me, and I realized that I simply couldn't see what I was doing all of these years. Holy smokes!
    Awesome news!
    I also bought a new hood. Equally amazed by the difference.

Last edited by DavidR8; 10-07-2020 at 01:31 PM.
    David
    Millermatic 130
    Primeweld 225
    Victor Journeymen

Post Thanks / Like

3/32 tungsten is fine but you should be using a 1/16 filler or 3/32, 1/8 is way to big for that low of amps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic416 View Post
    3/32 tungsten is fine but you should be using a 1/16 filler or 3/32, 1/8 is way to big for that low of amps.
    Oops- thanks for the correction! I am, in fact, using 1/16th filler rod - not 1/8.

Post Thanks / Like

Possibly a new Primeweld AC/DC digital welder on the horizon? Plastic moulding appears consistent with current models.

Name:  Digital Tig.JPG
Views: 1454
Size:  27.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tillerdemon View Post
    Possibly a new Primeweld AC/DC digital welder on the horizon? Plastic moulding appears consistent with current models.

Interesting. Where did you find that pic?

David
    Millermatic 130
    Primeweld 225
    Victor Journeymen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tillerdemon View Post

Control panel looks kind of familiar...
    Name:  New Picture.jpg
Views: 2275
Size:  89.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Dustin Gallagher from Primeweld just said "We are working a digital welder made in Italy will be comparable to miller quality. Price point will be around 2600usd"
    I wonder who in Italy makes a top quality welder?
    @Oscar, are you aware of any decent Italian machines?
    Edit to add photo from Dustin.
    Name:  121443615_10101907534811988_1312434452762773108_n.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  76.5 KB
    Last edited by DavidR8; 10-13-2020 at 03:41 PM.
    David
    Millermatic 130
    Primeweld 225
    Victor Journeymen

Post Thanks / Like

Figures the newer model comes out after I order one. Lol Either way. My first tig. Is this still a good kit that was mentioned earlier in the thread:?

https://weldmongerstore.com/collecti...ardware-bundle

Anything else I should look into getting? Only welding I do now is mig. While researching there are all kinds of nifty things to get....

I've read that tungsten colors aren't as big a concern as before with the transformer machines?

Tig welding has a steep learning curve. I haven't even lit an arc yet...

Post Thanks / Like

If you need any help setting up or using your new welder feel free to contact me.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist