+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Primeweld AC/DC Tig 225X

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Primeweld AC/DC Tig 225X

Quote Originally Posted by TraditionalToolworks View Post
    I won't try to convince you of anything, I have provided enough facts here as many others have and in other threads on the benefits of the Primeweld Tig 225x. I have been using mine for a couple weeks, and it's done wonderfully on the tig I've used it on. I shamefully admit I haven't used the stick capability yet, as my garage door is broken and without ventilation I am reluctant to use stick. However, I did a comparison yesterday on the stinger (check Welding Tips And Tricks forum), which I won't duplicate here. I think this shows the quality of the product Primeweld includes in their package. I compared against an Everlast i-Tig 201 stinger which I believe is the exact same as the AHP ships. More than often people are hinged on the AHP vs Primeweld. The Primeweld uses a lug with heatshrink on the end of the cable, which is attached with a bolt/washer setup. I'm told this is the exact same stinger as ships on the HTP units. The Everlast just uses a cut end with a piece of copper which a set screw snugs up against. IMO, anyone serious about stick will replace the stinger anyway, I have both a Lenco 250 amp jaw type and a Martin-Wells 300 amp stubby screw type.

The Primeweld is basically a tig machine, but there are some pics of 7018 welds I have seen on the web.

Do your homework, especially on service and support. The Primeweld comes with a 3 year warranty with shipping paid for if you have an issue. Everlast requires you pay shipping both ways after the initial 30 day purchase warranty, even though they have a longer warranty, customer is required to pay shipping both ways. Also, there are way more service issues with Everlast, just search for yourself. I have yet to see even a single issue with a Primeweld in most than 2 years that they have been available. In addition you get a genuine CK17 flexhead torch.

Honestly, how they can do that at the $775 price point I don't know, but I am a happy customer so far.

I've posted quite a bit in this thread and others, and you can search the web, but do your own homework and don't rely on anyone to spoon feed you. At the end of the day we're all responsible for the decisions we make.

I do own an Everlast i-Tig 201, but will never buy another Everlast or AHP product mainly due to their service and support issues. They can use some people skills, IMO.
    I haven't used mine on stick either. Now you got me thinking, I have a fresh can of Excalibur 3-32" 7018. I'll burn a few and report back.

2. Likes TraditionalToolworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well tried it out. 91 amps seems to be the sweet spot for 3-32" 7018. It doesn't start the arc as nice as my esab 161 or certainly the xmt but once lit it runs pretty smooth. Out of curiosity I looked around and found a few ancient brick red 6010 electrodes in 1/8". I kept the amps at 91 and tried them. To my surprise I was able to keep the rod lit even while trying to bury it or pull a longer arc. Vertical up with 7018 went good with the exception of everything heating up toward the top but I was only using 3/16" thick angle. I would say it's not bad for a 775$ Tig welder. I'm not crazy about the stinger but I am used to using a 250 amp tweco high tong.

4. Likes TraditionalToolworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did some 1/8" 7018, some old McKay xlm electrodes. Did a 3 pass fillet at 124 amps, turned out pretty decent.Name:  15885490639032388311720459396624.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  85.3 KB
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

6. Likes TraditionalToolworks, wmgeorge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Well tried it out. 91 amps seems to be the sweet spot for 3-32" 7018. It doesn't start the arc as nice as my esab 161 or certainly the xmt but once lit it runs pretty smooth. Out of curiosity I looked around and found a few ancient brick red 6010 electrodes in 1/8". I kept the amps at 91 and tried them. To my surprise I was able to keep the rod lit even while trying to bury it or pull a longer arc. Vertical up with 7018 went good with the exception of everything heating up toward the top but I was only using 3/16" thick angle. I would say it's not bad for a 775$ Tig welder. I'm not crazy about the stinger but I am used to using a 250 amp tweco high tong.
    Wow, thanks for testing that out. With so many of these welders out there I've been surprised we don't find more info on the stick capability, it's something they advertise, i.e., tig/stick machine.

I'm surprised it will keep the 6010 lit, something I haven't even expected.

That said, arc force would have been nice...but for the tig machine it is, your experience sounds more than acceptable.

We all know who own one it's a phenomenal tig machine for the price.

8. Likes DavidR8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks for testing that out. With so many of these welders out there I've been surprised we don't find more info on the stick capability, it's something they advertise, i.e., tig/stick machine.

I'm surprised it will keep the 6010 lit, something I haven't even expected.

That said, arc force would have been nice...but for the tig machine it is, your experience sounds more than acceptable.

We all know who own one it's a phenomenal tig machine for the price.
    No doubt about it. It's definitely a passable stick welder. If I could only have 2 welding machines it would be the primeweld and a Miller 252 with a spoolgun. I would have to say it's definitely the best bargain I've ever come across as far as welding machines go. Other than filler, gas and extra tungsten it was pretty much ready to weld. As for the stick evaluation, it's probably not of interest to the YouTube crowd who wet themselves over stacking dimes. I wish the fan was quieter but you can't have everything. Besides it's just a good excuse to turn up the scorpion's blackout CD.

10. Likes TraditionalToolworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No doubt about it. It's definitely a passable stick welder. If I could only have 2 welding machines it would be the primeweld and a Miller 252 with a spoolgun. I would have to say it's definitely the best bargain I've ever come across as far as welding machines go. Other than filler, gas and extra tungsten it was pretty much ready to weld. As for the stick evaluation, it's probably not of interest to the YouTube crowd who wet themselves over stacking dimes. I wish the fan was quieter but you can't have everything. Besides it's just a good excuse to turn up the scorpion's blackout CD.
    I also wish the fan wasn't as loud as it is, but it's not too much worse than my green weenie, pretty close to be honest, Primeweld could be a tad louder. I haven't really compared it closely. I did see a guy on YT test the audible decibel of the Primeweld vs. the Lincoln SW 200 and the Lincoln was notably louder. Haven't seen too many welders that are extremely quiet.

Good tip on the music, but I already figured that one out.

Post Thanks / Like

I also wish the fan wasn't as loud as it is, but it's not too much worse than my green weenie, pretty close to be honest, Primeweld could be a tad louder. I haven't really compared it closely. I did see a guy on YT test the audible decibel of the Primeweld vs. the Lincoln SW 200 and the Lincoln was notably louder. Haven't seen too many welders that are extremely quiet.

Good tip on the music, but I already figured that one out.
    Yeah all in all it's a very minor inconvenience. I don't think it's any louder than the fan on my xmt304. The xmt is fan on demand but oddly it runs much more often when using CC settings vs CV settings. The only other improvement that would be nice would be a switched 110 volt outlet to power a Tig cooler.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah all in all it's a very minor inconvenience. I don't think it's any louder than the fan on my xmt304. The xmt is fan on demand but oddly it runs much more often when using CC settings vs CV settings. The only other improvement that would be nice would be a switched 110 volt outlet to power a Tig cooler.
    Yes, I agree a witched outlet for a cooler would be nice. I'm not sure but suspect it would require more amps to run, not that it would be bad. Just that it has pushed itself over a 30 amp circuit already, although people like me are running them on 30 amp circuits...not sure if that has any effect on that. I have a separate 120v in my garage, so I can run a cooler on it and have the Primeweld on the 240v circuit. I'm not sure when I will want to get a cooler either...but have thought about it.

On demand fans would be a really nice feature, This Old Tony did that to his HTP. Maybe he just did that to quiet it, I don't think any welders are immune to needing less noise...

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried mine on a 110 circuit, would be interesting to see what the output would actually be. Messing around with electronics isn't my bag so I will have to live with the fan. As far as a cooler goes, maybe down the road as I already have a CK suprrflex 20 series torch that could be put to use. Tig isn't a process I use much but having a capable machine certainly opens up more options.

Post Thanks / Like

Adding a water cooler really makes it nice when your doing those long runs at high amps. I use the HTP water coolers on all my welders.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

Well I finally made up my mind. Going to pull the trigger on a TIG225X once they come back in stock. Hopefully my name won't be to far down the list an I get one. Any of you guys who have ordered in the past how long was delivery once you ordered? They'll be shipping mine to WI.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tooln98 View Post
    Well I finally made up my mind. Going to pull the trigger on a TIG225X once they come back in stock. Hopefully my name won't be to far down the list an I get one. Any of you guys who have ordered in the past how long was delivery once you ordered? They'll be shipping mine to WI.
    I'm in Wisconsin. I think it was 3 or 4 days from processing. Overall it was pretty quick.

18. Likes Tooln98 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see your in central Wis. I am also. If you want to check out the machine in person send me a PM.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

20. Likes TraditionalToolworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic416 View Post
    Adding a water cooler really makes it nice when your doing those long runs at high amps. I use the HTP water coolers on all my welders.
    That's exactly the cooler I would buy when I buy one. I've even pointed out that their price is comparable to the Everlast and Longevity coolers, and I would put my trust in HTP before them.

Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned above, but will repeat it for you.

Ordered April 9th, I was told they would ship April 16-17.

I was one of the last people to order the night of the shipment.

My machine shipped on Monday, April 13th, 3-4 day before expected.

Took about a week though as I'm the worst case in the US possibly, in San Jose, CA.

Was expected to arrive on April 22nd, but arrived on April 21st.

23. Likes Tooln98 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see your in central Wis. I am also. If you want to check out the machine in person send me a PM.
    That's a very generous offer and a great opportunity to see the machine before you buy.

25. Likes Tooln98 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I was running some beads with my Millermatic 130 and I noticed that the fans runs all the time. Before reading about the Primeweld fans running all the time I never even noticed the fans on my Miller.
    David
    Millermatic 130
    Primeweld 225
    Victor Journeymen

27. Likes TraditionalToolworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Posting this as I couldn't get this information easily, but honestly hadn't asked Primeweld for it.

This is the electrical label on the back of the machine. This info is not in the manual.

Name:  primeweld-label.jpg
Views: 2166
Size:  127.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Posting this as I couldn't get this information easily, but honestly hadn't asked Primeweld for it.

This is the electrical label on the back of the machine. This info is not in the manual.

Name:  primeweld-label.jpg
Views: 2166
Size:  127.5 KB
    I never really looked at mine. I did see somewhere that duty cycle information. Good thing there isn't 3 phase info or you would have gotten your head ripped off.😁

30. Likes TraditionalToolworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I never really looked at mine. I did see somewhere that duty cycle information. Good thing there isn't 3 phase info or you would have gotten your head ripped off.😁
    (let me pull myself off the floor )

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered my 225!
    Looking forward to learning a new skill!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David
    Millermatic 130
    Primeweld 225
    Victor Journeymen

33. Likes TraditionalToolworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

9 AM CST I ordered mine. Just got off of PrimeWeld's site and they are sold out again. I wonder how many they have sold today.
    Miller 212 Auto-Set, Prime 225X

35. Likes TraditionalToolworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like they sold out in under three hours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David
    Millermatic 130
    Primeweld 225
    Victor Journeymen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
    Looks like they sold out in under three hours!
    Consider yourself one of the lucky ones to be able to get one.

38. Likes DavidR8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones to be able to get one.
    I knew they were coming back on line 10 AM EST. So I was on my computer .5 before that, kept refreshing the page. At 5 after 10, bingo mine was ordered. Yes I'm one of the lucky ones.
    Miller 212 Auto-Set, Prime 225X

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist