+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which MIG gun?

Post Thanks / Like

Which MIG gun?

I am looking for a second gun to use on my MM 252. It is currently equipped with a Bernard 300 amp Q gun. I want to add a second gun for smaller work with 023 and 030 wire. I am currently looking at a Bernard Q 150 amp gun, a Bernard Q 200 amp gun, and the HTP gooseneck flexible gun. I like the idea of centerfire consumables on both guns, but I also like the idea of the flexneck. Of the two Bernard guns, is the 200 much bigger/bulkier than the 150? Open to all suggestions and opinions please. Thanks.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which MIG gun?

Louie, I would load some .023 in your Q300 and never look back.

Post Thanks / Like

I like having options.
    I really cannot stand the feel of my Bernard Q300 personally. It's a fine gun. It works wonderful. But at times its like a sledgehammer for trim carpentry IMO.
    I like the old school generic smaller Tweco style for it's flick-ability for the smaller stuff.
    And that is exactly why I ponied up for the mig max. So the 350P can be the Fire hose and the little machine can be the garden hose.
    You can't go wrong with options IMO.
    Miller Dynasty 700
    Miller 350P with Aluma-pro push-pull
    Miller 280 Dynasty with expansion card
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MigMax 215

Enuff power and hand tools to create one of anything..... but mass produce nothing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Louie, I would load some .023 in your Q300 and never look back.
    Maybe I could get used to it, but right now it just feels too huge for things like muffler/exhaust work, etc.
    I really cannot stand the feel of my Bernard Q300 personally. It's a fine gun. It works wonderful. But at times its like a sledgehammer for trim carpentry IMO.
    Yeah, sort of how I feel. I like the gun but not for small stuff.

I am kind of leaning toward the 150 amp Q gun. Weldingsupply.com has both the 150 and the 200, for very affordable prices. I just don't really know which one will be better for me.
    Last edited by Louie1961; 04-25-2018 at 11:25 PM.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I've held both the 150 and the 200 and there isn't that much difference. The 300 is massive in comparison. I was looking for a 200 (a good HD all round piece with great consumables, IMO "the sweet spot") for my MM211 a while back and they were hard to find without doing a special order. They are NOT cheap! The 150 is easier to find and a little more reasonable. The Centerfire consumables are pretty sweet.

I was also considering the HTP flex gun. The price is much easier to handle and the consumables are cheap.

I'd spring for the 200 if you can find it for less than $250 (with all of the options you want like length, neck, etc.) as it's much smaller than your 300 and may very well end up being your go-to for everything. Otherwise, I think the HTP is worth the gamble ---IMO
    Millermatic 211 w/Spoolmate 150
    Hypertherm PMX45XP

Wishlist:
    HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

You need a Trump hands sized gun...
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

You need a Trump hands sized gun...
    Not sure about that. I have some pretty big mitts. I have trouble finding welding gloves that fit.
    Miller Multimatic 255

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist