+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cutting 6x6 tubing, hiring help

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    I need to make these 6x6 tube frames, like a door frame going into the ground, 45° corners fairly straightforward. So I hired a guy, I wanted him to work on the frames while I did other work, I figured it'd save me time, but here's how his cuts were coming out.

https://images.platforum.cloud/uploads/201...71b762f586.jpghttps://images.platforum.cloud/uploads/201...9e6ef25655.jpghttps://images.platforum.cloud/uploads/201...ac87a47a6c.jpg

I had to spend so much time fixing grinding and cutting to get the joints to fit up properly.... He said he had experience with plasma cutters, I don't think he did, he was long arcing it so much it kept tripping the breaker, then he used cutoff wheels to make the rest of the cuts...

I don't think I'm being too demanding, a straight line is a straight line, and none of those cuts were straight,

And then I set up a test joint for him to weld with the MIG, 16ga square tubing, simple 90 degree joint, and he failed,
    https://images.platforum.cloud/uploads/201...49a51b234c.jpg
    Maybe next time I try to hire someone I should just have them set up the MIG and weld a couple joints without any input from me and see how they do
    Yup test them first

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    ^^ that means his mom is only 65-70.... She could still put some hurt on ya'
    haha!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Kids have it so much easier today if they really want to learn. Heck there are so many online sources for information. Youtube makes learning way to easy these days. Forums are another great source of information. Sure wish I had all the online options available to High Schoolers today when I was in HS.

I disagree, for every bit of real information that you and I can take from the sea of nonsense there is ten times more nonsense today than yesterday, the young kids cannot tell if it is real, or cyber reality.

I have never worn safety goggles, and I have done a lot of grinding. Obviously the most important thing is to know which way your device is hurling particles, and which way it wants to pull if it gets caught. Young people will never get there; they will buy all kinds of gloves, shields, and goggles and then when they cannot see what they are doing they get discouraged and give up. Or if it takes them five minutes to find their gloves and goggles, each time they start grinding, they cannot compete it is not practical. Somewhere between a Chinese sweatshop and young Americans is where we need to go.
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

as far as safety glasses,
    a wire wheel scares me more than an angle grinder...
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the wire wheels

Very seldom I go without when they're involved, hurts bad enough when they dart into parts of my legs, arms, chest, and other areas inbetween...

Post Thanks / Like

wire wheel flechettes! I want to try encapsulated wire wheels/cups but I have to run down my current cache first

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I agree

Those little barbs stick pretty deep into sweatshirts, imagine how far in your eye they will go.

I require my guys to wear full face shields when cutting, grinding, etc. Even then it still doesn't stop everything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Country Metals; 12-24-2018 at 07:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    I disagree, for every bit of real information that you and I can take from the sea of nonsense there is ten times more nonsense today than yesterday, the young kids cannot tell if it is real, or cyber reality.

I have never worn safety goggles, and I have done a lot of grinding. Obviously the most important thing is to know which way your device is hurling particles, and which way it wants to pull if it gets caught. Young people will never get there; they will buy all kinds of gloves, shields, and goggles and then when they cannot see what they are doing they get discouraged and give up. Or if it takes them five minutes to find their gloves and goggles, each time they start grinding, they cannot compete it is not practical. Somewhere between a Chinese sweatshop and young Americans is where we need to go.
    I agree to a certain extent. If common sense was as common today as it was when we were teenage kids then they might be able to shift through and weed out all the cyber wishwash fooey that’s spread rampant on the interwebs.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I rarely cut any metal pieces at 45 degrees each when I’m fabricating a 90 degree corner anymore. In school i was taught to cope my pieces to form my 90 degree corners. Makes keeping things square easy and welds easier also. It’s also stronger.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    I use subcontractors occasionally, all you need from them is a liability insurance cert.
    Im surprised you dont use a staffing agency MetalMan. Most of my welding buddies in CT seem to have good luck with it. Pay them the $35/hr and they take care of the bennies, hiring, firing, and payroll. I just do certs and inspections so Im usually just a one man band or id be using them too!
    Welding --- My paid hobby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by news View Post
    Im surprised you dont use a staffing agency MetalMan. Most of my welding buddies in CT seem to have good luck with it. Pay them the $35/hr and they take care of the bennies, hiring, firing, and payroll. I just do certs and inspections so Im usually just a one man band or id be using them too!
    Hey I might try that next time that's a good idea,

Post Thanks / Like

Ill see if i can pick some brains this week and get you the agency names
    Welding --- My paid hobby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by news View Post
    Ill see if i can pick some brains this week and get you the agency names
    That'd be great, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Heck
    The staffing agency sounds like a good place to work
    LoL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Heck
    The staffing agency sounds like a good place to work
    LoL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

It is the same thing really, I used to use a wire wheel on a flexable shaft to clean up spiral staircases. You always have to be concious of the wheel and where it is throwing. I have gotten the wire in my arms and neck but never my eyes.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Move that shop south and I'll come and work with you.You'll have more tools than you can shake a stick at. In Conn all I'd be good for is holding a light. I cant work when its under 60

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist