Thread: Sa200 vs classic 3?

Post Thanks / Like

Sa200 vs classic 3?

I’ve been on the prowl for a “newer” more reliable machine to get myself going and getting work. I’ve been looking at a Lincoln classic iii gas with the Continental engine. Machine runs and welds and has 7,000 hours. Seems a little high since they’re asking $4,000. There’s also a sa200 blackface for sailor a couple hours north of me with 3700 hours for similar money. Just wondering what the best route would be. The classic has more hours but is a little newer than the 200. I’m just afraid with the high hours it might just become problematic in the near future. Any help and opinions are appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sa200 vs classic 3?

A friend of mine is running a Classic III, he has well over 10,000 hours on it. It is getting to be time for an overhaul but it still works every day. He has an older ('78) SA 200 being rebuilt to use when he sends the Classic in. The '78 was his first machine bought new.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I heard the classic will push 10k. I guess it’s a matter of preference cause like I say the classic has more hours but is a little newer than the blackface. Although this machine looks to be rebuilt already. I’m checking it out this weekend. At least I can see the blackface in person. The classic is quite a ways away I’d have to have it shipped

Post Thanks / Like

You have to figure how long your gonna run it yourself 3000 to 4000 hours before you might need some work on the engine is a pile of welding if you welded 10 hours a day 365 days a year ! You need to figure how many hours a week you actually weld .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Abeofspades View Post
    Yeah I heard the classic will push 10k. I guess it’s a matter of preference cause like I say the classic has more hours but is a little newer than the blackface. Although this machine looks to be rebuilt already. I’m checking it out this weekend. At least I can see the blackface in person. The classic is quite a ways away I’d have to have it shipped
    The Classic does have a more modern engine that may be a bit better on fuel, that I don't know. Also I think... again I don't know for sure, the Classic went back to all copper windings.

Post Thanks / Like

I asked Erika her opinion on the classic 3. I see no need to argue
    Name:  P6281841.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  58.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough! Hahaha

Post Thanks / Like

Go and weld with each one. Bring your hood, stinger, rods and metal (pipe or plate).

Buy the one that welds the best.

I can explain farther.
    Lincoln SA200's... at least 15 - 20. They come and go. Growing partial to the "Short Hoods" in my old age. Last count on Short Hoods was 13 in possession.