Thread: Miller CP-200 Need help identifying primary winding connections.

Post Thanks / Like

Miller CP-200 Need help identifying primary winding connections.

I have a CP-200 3 phase welder. The terminal block is damaged and I need some help from someone that has a Miller CP-200 to identify which wires from the primary connect to which terminals on the back of the red terminal block. I've attached a photo of one of the three transformers ..... it happens to be the topmost transformer. I need to identify all 3 transformers but they all look the same on the primary If someone with either the knowledge or the ability to pop the cover off of a CP-200 and help me identify the wires, I would be extremely grateful. Even if you could snap some pics it would be helpful. I really would like to get this thing running.

Transfomer Top

Wire / Terminal number
    w-1 = ?
    w-2 = ?
    w-3 = ?
    w-4 = ?

Transfomer Middle

Wire / Terminal number
    w-1 = ?
    w-2 = ?
    w-3 = ?
    w-4 = ?

Transfomer Bottom

Wire / Terminal number
    w-1 = ?
    w-2 = ?
    w-3 = ?
    w-4 = ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Miller CP-200 Need help identifying primary winding connections.

Go to Miller's website and with your serial # look up owners manual. The manual has a schematic of wiring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guajilloweld03 View Post
    Go to Miller's website and with your serial # look up owners manual. The manual has a schematic of wiring.
    Thanks but I think you are misunderstanding the issue. The primary windings have no wire identification. I already have the schematic. What I do not know is what physical wires on the primary correspond to the appropriate terminal connections in the schematic. If they were labeled this would be a no brainer.

Post Thanks / Like

My bad on understanding whats needed, have you called Miller tech support.
    Here is an add for a CP200 maybe call this guy and he can take pic for you.
    https://lubbock.craigslist.org/tls/d...640099024.html

Post Thanks / Like

OK So I've had some luck..... Basically, since I know the wire pairs that make up each coil, I looked at how they were wound and found the two closest wires to the center that were on different pairs and connected them together.

Then I wired the two remaining ones according to the schematic, keeping each transformer oriented the same to keep things in phase (I think).

Sooooo.... now what I see is this. The welder powers up and runs and no connections fry or get launched into orbit and the breaker doesn't trip.

The wirefeeder is a Profax II and it seems to work fine.

The issue I see (hear) now is the when I strike an arc, it immediately goes away and the wire stops feeding. It sounds like a chattering solenoid in the welder when that happens. After pulling the trigger a few times, it starts feeding again. I do not think this is a problem with the wire feeder. It seems like I'm losing power. Any suggestions on where to look?

Post Thanks / Like

I cleaned the contactor and that helped the chattering. I need to replace the gun liner..... I think it's causing issues feeding the wire. Need to replace the tip too.... too much burnback.