Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: HF Mig 170 item 68885 controlboard/wire feed replacement?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Olympia,WA.
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    HF Mig 170 item 68885 controlboard/wire feed replacement?

    I'm not electronics repair savvy but am curious and always ready to learn. Being that my Mig 170 was suitable for my uses prior to my present wire feed issue. I'm wondering if a reputable (non HF) control board and wire drive can be incorporated to or with my Mig 170. Internally or externally. I ordered a replacement wire drive using online product measurements. Won't arrive until September. Presently looking for the stock board(Mig ZkB ver. 7.1) I don't have much faith in the replacement parts so I'm more interested in doing some upgrades if practical or possible. Thanks! ronno5957.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF Mig 170 item 68885 controlboard/wire feed replacement?

    Most will add capacitors
    My self found this welder out box works great

    I did upgrade the main relay to 30 amp
    Longer ground and upgrade ground clamp
    Last was a 30FT power cord
    This welder will last a long time by cleaning w/air at less once a year

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by ronno5957 View Post
    I'm not electronics repair savvy but am curious and always ready to learn. Being that my Mig 170 was suitable for my uses prior to my present wire feed issue. I'm wondering if a reputable (non HF) control board and wire drive can be incorporated to or with my Mig 170. Internally or externally. I ordered a replacement wire drive using online product measurements. Won't arrive until September. Presently looking for the stock board(Mig ZkB ver. 7.1) I don't have much faith in the replacement parts so I'm more interested in doing some upgrades if practical or possible. Thanks! ronno5957.
    Last edited by smithdoor; 08-21-2018 at 11:40 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Olympia,WA.
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF Mig 170 item 68885 controlboard/wire feed replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by ronno5957 View Post
    I'm not electronics repair savvy but am curious and always ready to learn. Being that my Mig 170 was suitable for my uses prior to my present wire feed issue. I'm wondering if a reputable (non HF) control board and wire drive can be incorporated to or with my Mig 170. Internally or externally. I ordered a replacement wire drive using online product measurements. Won't arrive until September. Presently looking for the stock board(Mig ZkB ver. 7.1) I don't have much faith in the replacement parts so I'm more interested in doing some upgrades if practical or possible. Thanks! ronno5957.
    The HF Mig 170 seems to have issues. Control board,wire feed and gun.I have a non functioning Mig 170. I'm looking to a possible upgrade to a reliable,hardy control board and wire feed system in order to have an operating mig welder. Later a gun from USWeld. If and only i can get the Mig 170 functioning as before the existing wire feed issue. I certainly will take advantage of the proven mods. There is certain pride and sense of accomplishment in resurrecting or repurposing a machine or device for use.
    Thanks! ronno5957

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF Mig 170 item 68885 controlboard/wire feed replacement?

    The HF 170 Does not have issues
    Some does not follow the manual and keeping the welder This true with all welders

    The welder will last long than most of new type today.

    This welder has very good transformer and choke witch is harbor all welders

    Dave


    Quote Originally Posted by ronno5957 View Post
    The HF Mig 170 seems to have issues. Control board,wire feed and gun.I have a non functioning Mig 170. I'm looking to a possible upgrade to a reliable,hardy control board and wire feed system in order to have an operating mig welder. Later a gun from USWeld. If and only i can get the Mig 170 functioning as before the existing wire feed issue. I certainly will take advantage of the proven mods. There is certain pride and sense of accomplishment in resurrecting or repurposing a machine or device for use.
    Thanks! ronno5957

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sonoma County
    Posts
    871
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF Mig 170 item 68885 controlboard/wire feed replacement?

    A 170 (or 180) just is what it is. Almost-pro but not quite. OK for the DIY'er or occasional user.

    In particular the wire feed motor isn't very powerful so staying with the short stinger cable might be a good idea. There isn't a more powerful replacement motor available, and if one were installed the circuit boards would smoke trying to power it.

    On my 180 (same drive motor and boards) I find the longer replacement stinger cable has to be nearly straight to feed smoothly. That's a reasonable compromise for what I paid for the welder, used, but I wouldn't stick with this model if I welded for a living.
    HF MIG-180 with all the mods.
    Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig Pulse 130/160.
    Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF Mig 170 item 68885 controlboard/wire feed replacement?

    When I living with welding the mig welder was Airco 250 amp single phase cost today around $3,000.00 pluss a Miler wire feeder 30 B about $1,000.00. It use ever day for 0ver 30 years.
    The HF170 is for home use and do not need a forklift to the welder just one hand. The price great too, on sale I paid $170.00

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    A 170 (or 180) just is what it is. Almost-pro but not quite. OK for the DIY'er or occasional user.

    In particular the wire feed motor isn't very powerful so staying with the short stinger cable might be a good idea. There isn't a more powerful replacement motor available, and if one were installed the circuit boards would smoke trying to power it.

    On my 180 (same drive motor and boards) I find the longer replacement stinger cable has to be nearly straight to feed smoothly. That's a reasonable compromise for what I paid for the welder, used, but I wouldn't stick with this model if I welded for a living.
    Last edited by smithdoor; 08-22-2018 at 07:56 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF Mig 170 item 68885 controlboard/wire feed replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by ronno5957 View Post
    The HF Mig 170 seems to have issues. Control board,wire feed and gun.I have a non functioning Mig 170. I'm looking to a possible upgrade to a reliable,hardy control board and wire feed system in order to have an operating mig welder. Later a gun from USWeld. If and only i can get the Mig 170 functioning as before the existing wire feed issue. I certainly will take advantage of the proven mods. There is certain pride and sense of accomplishment in resurrecting or repurposing a machine or device for use.
    Thanks! ronno5957
    I know this is an older post, but did you ever find an acceptable replacement control board? My MIG 170 just took a crapper. Blew a diode in the rectifier so I ordered an Ali Express part for that. Get it up and running and the motor won't feed. I have bench tested. Everything operates except some fail between motor power wires from the rectifier. I can jumper to the motor and it spins, obviously with no speed control. I have verified power to/from speed control knob. Not sure I'm good enough to solder the repair kit in the board.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sonoma County
    Posts
    871
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF Mig 170 item 68885 controlboard/wire feed replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by pappahuff View Post
    My MIG 170 just took a crapper. ... some fail between motor power wires from the rectifier. I can jumper to the motor and it spins, obviously with no speed control. I have verified power to/from speed control knob. Not sure I'm good enough to solder the repair kit in the board.
    Did you see smithdoor's wiring diagram in the other recent 170 thread?
    https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...58#post8778258
    His modification might bypass your problem.
    HF MIG-180 with all the mods.
    Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig Pulse 130/160.
    Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF Mig 170 item 68885 controlboard/wire feed replacement?

    Can you post a few photos

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by pappahuff View Post
    I know this is an older post, but did you ever find an acceptable replacement control board? My MIG 170 just took a crapper. Blew a diode in the rectifier so I ordered an Ali Express part for that. Get it up and running and the motor won't feed. I have bench tested. Everything operates except some fail between motor power wires from the rectifier. I can jumper to the motor and it spins, obviously with no speed control. I have verified power to/from speed control knob. Not sure I'm good enough to solder the repair kit in the board.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,606,272,396.90527 seconds with 13 queries