+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WHY does a grown man

Post Thanks / Like

WHY does a grown man

get his hands on a 50 year old engine driven machine and spend a month getting the engine running and purring without opening the generator end of the machine to see what is living there?

What's the point of spinning a possibly good set of windings to scrap because mice chewed all the lashing ties out of the machine?

Do people do the same with vehicles?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WHY does a grown man

Did you experience this just recently?

Men just love the sound of a running engine. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to be objective with such a project. My 47 Hobart is like that. Ran perfect when last used in the summer of 1979 and had been setting in it's spot in a hiving barn till a couple years ago. I didn't spend a lot of time working with the engine as it fired right off but the generator section looked to need attention through the end bell. Never tried to weld with it but broke it apart and sent the windings into a motor shop for evaluation and repair. They all checked good and are reinsulated but I've not reassembled yet.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, people definitely do the same, and worse, to vehicles.

Any high school shop teacher can tell stories of what students bring in broken because they were hyper focused on the motor and ignored everything else.

Or adults nitrous a motor to the brink of disintegration and forget the transmission is only rated for 180 HP for a reason.

Jacked up trucks with huge tires that now have the wrong gearing and not enough brakes...

Interior of a house redone but the shingles will be leaking soon...

The list is endless - people lacking the eye for the big picture.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Schools are epicenters of stupid Dave.
    District here spent 8.5 Mil to remodel the interior of an existing building with all new ceilings and lighting with a known leaking roof.
    Best part was the STUPintendent and ***-istant got brand new offices with private personal toilets, probably cause they are both full of $#!*. They got special windows too so nobody could look in.

They also got real pissed first time there was a good rain and they had office water features.

The emergency borrowing for a new roof got delayed by dumb farmers wanting to know why the building wasn't getting a rubber roof. The official answer was "because if a roof penetration is necessary we'd have to bring in an approved by the roof manufacturer to make the penetration or the warranty is void".
    Fine, when is the last time a roof was penetrated in the District?
    Nobody remembered other than during construction projects.

You know another hot tar and stone roof got mopped on, don't you.

Post Thanks / Like

Virgil5 - my post had zero to do with schools and how they are run. You're a broken record man.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

why are people stupid?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    get his hands on a 50 year old engine driven machine and spend a month getting the engine running and purring without opening the generator end of the machine to see what is living there?

What's the point of spinning a possibly good set of windings to scrap because mice chewed all the lashing ties out of the machine?

Do people do the same with vehicles?
    Instead of asking us this question, just go ahead and tell us why you did it. No need for anyone to be guessing your reason for doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    Instead of asking us this question, just go ahead and tell us why you did it. No need for anyone to be guessing your reason for doing it.
    I didn't do it. I have never wound up any engine driven machine that has been sitting over a period of time without checking what the engine drives as well as the air cleaner and vents.
    Mu engine driven machines that are parked for any length of time are plugged off on air intake, exhaust and crankcase vent for a reason, and I check them before I rotate them. Gas engines even get sparkplugs removed and a squirt of Marvel down the hole before they rotate.

The machine I "took a quick look at" for a former customer was murdered by lack of thinking and a couple dollars worth of marlin twine and some varnish. Sad part was it probably could have been saved by proper starting procedures.

Your lack of ability to read and comprehend the question is reinforced by your need to resort to small cartoon characters to make up for your lack of writing skill. Try to improve your ability.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist