+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mid Size Compressor

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mid Size Compressor

I know I mentioned duty cycle before but don't forget the break in on a new compressor, don't know if it was mentioned before, check owners manual

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, got it all checked out pat, thanks for the reminders!

Break in procedure:15 minutes with the valve open.

And duty cycle will be 50%.

I’ll of course double check the documentation supplied with it to make sure that information hasn’t been updated and changed.
    -Mark Smith

Miller Bobcat 250
    Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Cool.

using the plasma,
    I started off using sunglasses then shaded goggles...

But when I got my Speedglass hood that was the ticket. click the shade down to #5 and fire away.

Have fun. don't burn yer hose...
    Thanks John I’ve heard lots of different opinions on appropriate filter shades for plasma cutting, I’ll start with 5 in the hood.

Funny you should mention burning hoses, I’m always having to remind my peers in welding class to move their hoses out of the line of fire, and clear of hot falling objects on both the Oxyfuel torch, and the plasma cutter.
    -Mark Smith

Miller Bobcat 250
    Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Post Thanks / Like

Alrighty fellas, got the scoop for y’all

Bear in mind this is the unboxing and first use impressions, for obvious reasons longevity report is still to be determined.

Compressor arrived this afternoon well platized, and wrapped securely. After breaking down the crate and looking at the manual set-up was a breeze. Bolt the wheels on, snip the zip ties to unwrap the cord, take the tags and film off, ready to roll.

Aesthetically very nice looking, and it appears to be a robustly built unit. Tank has nice heavy walls, the motor has a nice looking cage presumably to prevent you touching it, and the faceplate is neat, and tidy showing two gauges, a regulator knob, and two quick disconnects.

Connected to 120V 20A Circuit.

Started her up for the break in procedure(15 minutes with the valve open) and it would appear that their claims about it being relatively quiet are substantiated. I could easily have a conversation at normal speaking volume within 10ft of it in the garage. Most of the noise it does emit appears to be in the mid to low range frequency wise, No high pitched sounds that I could discern.

Didn’t time it, but it hit 120PSI in no time flat once I closed the valve.

Next I learned two important lessons. 1: Apparently there are two commonly used quick disconnects when it comes to airlines, and of course the ones I needed, are opposite the ones I bought.2: It takes quiet a bit of force to get a new quick disconnect to fit together.

Connected the 1/4” die grinder, I think I heard the dremel getting embarrassed. Used the needle scaler to knock off some stubborn BBs on the table too, worked like a charm!

But on to why I really got it, connected the PowerMax 45XP, grabbed the speed square, soapstone, and a pile of scrap. Was cutting 3/8” plate primarily, to do a proper stress test turned the cutter all the way up to 45A, marked some plate, and started getting after it. Man, I love that cutter! Just sailed through that plate, I’ll tell ya. At 45A about every 20” or so the compressor would kick on. It would run for about about a minute, and cut off. I dropped amperage some, and observed longer cut times before the compressor would cycle. The biggest eater of air is the postflow, which is no doubt why hypertherms consumables last so long. I did not experience a cut interruption.

Very happy with the purchase, and I think this compressor will suit my needs just fine for the time being. I definitely wouldn’t say it’s “Junk”; the build quality of the product is beyond the dewalts, porter cables, Chicago pneumatics, and craftsman’s I went to see in person. It’s small enough to fit in the garage, quiet enough that no one will complain, and delivers enough air to run the cutter, needle scaler, and die grinder.

If it continues to operate as observed so far, I will be a happy camper.
    Last edited by Mmock4; 10-08-2018 at 10:01 PM.
    -Mark Smith

Miller Bobcat 250
    Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, there's a bunch of different air connect fittings, compressors are like Mr potato head now, 20 different names on the same version with a few different parts, nice to hear of a quiet oil less compressor, for occasional painting or plasma cutting you can't beat a oil less

Post Thanks / Like

I get air to my 45XP with a Makita Mac5200 direct drive compressor. It's really noisy, holds about 5.2 gallons, but it's all I could get. So far I've only run out of air on a couple cuts. It works for me!
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Lincoln Ranger 305G EFI

Post Thanks / Like

You can download a sound level meter for your smartphone called “Decibel X”. I don’t know how accurate it truly is, but in using it to compare the sound level of my Ingersoll Rand vs my nused Leroi Dressor it seamed to by right around the manufactures specs. I would be curious if yours tested in the stated 50dB range.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MountaineerMiner View Post
    You can download a sound level meter for your smartphone called “Decibel X”. I don’t know how accurate it truly is, but in using it to compare the sound level of my Ingersoll Rand vs my nused Leroi Dressor it seamed to by right around the manufactures specs. I would be curious if yours tested in the stated 50dB range.
    I just downloaded it, and there may be something odd with my microphone or it’s sensitivity. It’s shows 50db just inside the house with nothing going on.
    -Mark Smith

Miller Bobcat 250
    Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Post Thanks / Like

Thats right where it should be. Hearing and the unit of measure sound (dB) is expressed in is logarithmic. 80dB is 2 times as loud as 70dB, 90dB is 4 times as loud as 70dB, ect.

Name:  Decibel-Loudness-Comparison-Chart-46.png
Views: 152
Size:  156.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MountaineerMiner View Post
    Thats right where it should be. Hearing and the unit of measure sound (dB) is expressed in is logarithmic. 80dB is 2 times as loud as 70dB, 90dB is 4 times as loud as 70dB, ect.
    Gotcha, I learned something today!

It appears they are pretty darn close, with the machine running, and standing 25ft away(as per their statement) The app reads it at 54db. The thing is pretty darn quiet, when it’s running it makes a low humm, not irritating at all.

Just got out and did some plasma gouging on the 45XP, color me amazed! I absolutely could not believe how much control I had over metal removal, how efficient, fast, and comparatively clean the process was! Removed about 40” of 1/4-3/8 fillet welds in no time flat! Obviously I need some practice, but wow, talk about user friendly! I’m over the moon in how awesome that was. At 25A I could really gouge some very small welds if I needed, I can’t imagine what the fine gouging consumables can do, maybe gouge off a weld spatter BB?

Compressor kept up the whole time at 45A, No interruptions. it cycled more for sure, the gouging was more or less continuous on air demand, and since the process is slower than cutting - that adds to overall air consumption per travel distance. Would I have liked the compressor to cycle a bit less?-Sure. But that’s the compromise.

Love that 45XP gouging, if this machine last me some years it will be worth every penny and then some. If you’re on the fence about buying one of their units, I would highly suggest that you do if you have a use for it. It does its job very well.

Name:  D987B6A4-35B7-450F-96C2-29D1CE2C6FF5.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  145.9 KB
    -Mark Smith

Miller Bobcat 250
    Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax215

Everlast PowerArc 210STL
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one of these earlier this year https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools-accessories/air-compressors-pneumatic-tools-accessories/air-compressors/sanborn-reg-belt-drive-60-gallon-stationary-electric-vertical-air-compressor/sl3706056/p-1444439609007.htm

• 155 max PSI
    • 13.4 CFM at 40 PSI
    • 11.5 CFM at 90 PSI

I poured a 48"x36" pad and built an enclosure for it, mounted it on some conveyor belt isolation pads and its nice and quiet, and not taking up space inside my 20x20 garage. I think I need some better soffit vents on the enclosure though, it'll work for the winter, but summer comes I'll need bigger or more vents in it..

Name:  20181022_152412.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  134.9 KBName:  20181023_151111.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  100.9 KB
    Last edited by brucer; 11-07-2018 at 01:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brucer View Post
    I think I need some better soffit vents on the enclosure though, it'll work for the winter, but summer comes I'll need bigger or more vents in it..
    the vents really need to be up higher and need vent right at the bottom.
    think stack effect, hot air rises goes out the top vents and sucks in cold air at the bottom.

or fit a fan that sucks air in a blows out those vents.

small hot sheds are killers for compressors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tweake View Post
    the vents really need to be up higher and need vent right at the bottom.
    think stack effect, hot air rises goes out the top vents and sucks in cold air at the bottom.

or fit a fan that sucks air in a blows out those vents.

small hot sheds are killers for compressors.
    The spokes on the large pulley on the pump are also fan blades, they draw air in across the pump. There is another vent on the opposite side of the enclosure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brucer View Post
    The spokes on the large pulley on the pump are also fan blades, they draw air in across the pump.
    which just stirs the air around inside the shed.
    tho you could make a duct from one vent to the fan so the fan sucks in outside air.
    but its better if you can keep the whole shed cool. that will also help keep the motor cool and the tanks/pipes cool which will make more moisture drop out of the compressed air.

no idea what your winter is like. there can be issues if it gets down to freezing.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist