+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New vehicle frame welds

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New vehicle frame welds

Quote Originally Posted by anothersteveg View Post
    2018 Jeep JL, 6 months old, 7000 miles. Supposedly there is a recall coming up. These were just a few from the driver side, passenger side just as bad. Please let me know how bad these really look.

I’m just a hobby welder, learned a lot from the collective wisdom here over the years and appreciate your input. Dropped it off at the dealer this morning to get the ball rolling.

Thanks!Attachment 1692635
    bottom left, looks the weld missed on material deposition. THere is evidence of heat input, but not much filler. Might just be the angle of the photo though.
    Everlast 350 EXT - Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 - Rogue Fabrication M600 xHD tube bender
    Milwaukee 4208 Mag Drill - Shopmaster Eldorado Combo mill/lathe machine with DRO.

Post Thanks / Like

I think those welds qualify this vehicle as a lemon and you should not have to accept these issues. Since it is new and the problem has been acknowledged, I would return it and demand my money back.

Post Thanks / Like

I posted up some Tesla frame welds from one of their showroom chassis a year or two back. Looked worse than that.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but that was just a prototype.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Piss poor rework by a UAW hourly employee who doesn't have to give a dam.

I got a buck says the overwelds are just crap piled on top of what the robot screwed up because it was programmed by a suit in a cubicle.
    Woulda worked too, BUT they got BUSTED.

What is the manufacturer doing to provide a substitute vehicle while they look at the one you're paying for sit on the lot?
    That's why I dont drive merkin made garbage.I had the dishonor of owning a couple of mid seventies pieces of junk and two 90's models of Grand Cherokee with the super mountain packages etc. Absolute garbage. Take a creeper and roll all over the lot and look at that junk. " Low financing ! Early pre 2019 models at X%" No down payment required. No payments until after Christm..... I mean end year holidays
    Japan ran the US over with every single thing they produce many decades ago. The Chinese are getting close with the Great Walls and the Koreans with the Hyundai. We made the worlds greatest EVERYTHING, at one time.Then greed killed it all

Post Thanks / Like

I often wonder what we would be driving here today if the Japanese cars hadn't shown up to create some competition for the US auto industry.

CR

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist