+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Miller XMT 304 cc/cv multiprocess maching

Post Thanks / Like

Miller XMT 304 cc/cv multiprocess maching

hello, I am currently attending a welding class and we are currently using a Miller XMT 304 cc/cv machine. I am having the hardest time with contamination regardless of what I do. I feel like it is the lift-start or scratch start that is causing the tungsten to become contaminated. I have tried using the HF (high-frequency) start but it does not seen to work without touching the tungsten to the work piece. Can anyone help me with either figuring out what is causing the contamination or can you suggest a better way to get the HF start to work I'd greatly appreciate it.

Justin.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Miller XMT 304 cc/cv multiprocess maching

Whatever your paying for that school is too much, where your instructor?

CR

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

There s no high frequency start on an XMT304 as far as I know. DC only machine, so no need. Try not using any lift start and just scratch starting. Are you using a pedal, or just setting amperage on the machine?

Post Thanks / Like

I was using the pedal at first but that only seem to make it worse as the tungsten would stick if it touched the work piece for to long. I did start to use the amps and that helps a bit but it still gets contaminated and I usually have to grind the tungsten back down after each weld. Super annoying and wasting all my tungsten. I will try switching over to the scratch start and see if that makes a difference. Not really impressed with the machine at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it should have HF start as there is a setting just for TIG, then there is two more settings for lift start and scratch start.

Post Thanks / Like

If it had HF that was working there would be no need to touch the tungsten to anything.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=walker;8656195]There s no high frequency start on an XMT304

thats right, find a piece of flat copper plate, place it next to ur location of weld start, scratch start off the copper lightly, and drag ur arc off it to the start point of weld. u/no one, will find any evidence of contination. and like the other(s) said, wheres ur teacher, and tell us about this situation/money being paid?
    Last edited by 123weld; 11-05-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The scratch start seems to help a bit, but still getting contamination, not nearly as bad though. Teacher is there but doesn't seem to care much. School is CNM (Central New Mexico) community college. I thinks this course was $200? It's a split simester. Took oxyweldig/cutting the first half and now taking intro TIG the last half.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jmed800 View Post
    The scratch start seems to help a bit, but still getting contamination, not nearly as bad though. Teacher is there but doesn't seem to care much. School is CNM (Central New Mexico) community college. I thinks this course was $200? It's a split simester. Took oxyweldig/cutting the first half and now taking intro TIG the last half.
    sounds like u guys are lil confused. maybe teacher needs to join welding web

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist