+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Welding truck build

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding truck build

I like mine on top of the box but i have a crane to lift it there. What if you slide the welder towards the back and put it against the front wall in front of the welder?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leightrepairs View Post
    I like mine on top of the box but i have a crane to lift it there. What if you slide the welder towards the back and put it against the front wall in front of the welder?
    I'm actually thinking of putting th welder on the passenger side, I think it'll be better there, but I could do that if I didn't change it

Post Thanks / Like

check out junk yards for a crank up spare tire carrier from a pick up truck , and mount it under the tail end ,unless the fuel tank is there

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gxbxc View Post
    check out junk yards for a crank up spare tire carrier from a pick up truck , and mount it under the tail end ,unless the fuel tank is there
    There's a 60 gal tank there, that's the first thing I though of

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    So there was a significant fuel leak, from the fuel bowl drain valve, I had to reach in with one hand, while using a mirror with the other to get in there and replace the orings

You can see my little mirror in the pic below

So with the reduced weight, the reduced drag from lowering the top, and fixing the fuel leak, I should be getting a lot better fuel economy
    Check the 2 blue fuel hoses coming off the backside of the filter/bowl ... they are prone to leak.

I went with E-fuel on my 7.3 ... cleaned up the top of the engine and a lot easier to work with.
    I prefer the dual canister filters too.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Check the 2 blue fuel hoses coming off the backside of the filter/bowl ... they are prone to leak.

I went with E-fuel on my 7.3 ... cleaned up the top of the engine and a lot easier to work with.
    I prefer the dual canister filters too.
    I checked it with the engine running and I didn't see any leakage, also it wasn't leaking out onto the ground like it was before, so I think it was the drain valve orings. Let's hope so I don't have to pull it apart and do it again

Post Thanks / Like

Some blue machines
    Some red machines
    lots of heavy steel

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really tempted just to build a Ladder rack on the left side of the truck kind of like my awesome sketch below but I'm not sure if I'm going to regret not having a full ladder rack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moparman68 View Post
    Not a bad idea, I think I'd rather have it mounted in the back somewhere

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't want to block the radiator especially a van with a 7.3
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Thing I've noticed about ladder racks over time is every one of them gets higher above the ground by about 1/32" per week. Older I get the more inconvenient racks are.
    If I was putting that truck together I'd put a protector rail across the top of the front box I could strap ladders to, and a vertical square socket on the back bumper to hold a T shaped rear rack, probably made with square sign post so it could telescope to need, and store in a sidebox when not needed. Long as the front of the ladder isn't more than 12 feet above ground you're good to go and loading is a lot easier.
    Spare tire can ride inside the box 90% of the time secured to a sidebox and not be in your way. Other 10% you can sit it on the back bumper and strap it in place.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on how much you plan on using the rack. Do you want to load it up or use it every once in a while.

How much do you plan to get at 1 time without a trailer?

How inconvenient is it as a full rack?

You can always make a full rack later or at the same time with removable cross members

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I used the rack a lot on my previous truck, I ended up putting a lot of things up there because I didn't have any bed space, now I have a lot more bedspace so I won't need it for big things, just long stock. Anything too big or bulky to lift into the truck will get put in a trailer.

If I can make some sort of system for securing sheet goods in the bed then I won't need to put them on a full rack

Post Thanks / Like

I used the rack a lot on my previous truck, I ended up putting a lot of things up there because I didn't have any bed space, now I have a lot more bedspace so I won't need it for big things, just long stock. Anything too big or bulky to lift into the truck will get put in a trailer.

If I can make some sort of system for securing sheet goods in the bed then I won't need to put them on a full rack

Or maybe do a pin and post type rack system ?. Then you'd be able to easily remove it when not needed.

Post Thanks / Like

E track about a foot up on the inside of the driver side boxes handles the bottom of the sheets, Might need a post or 2 depending how high the boxes are or a rail along the top of the boxes to secure to.

Post Thanks / Like

So there was a significant fuel leak, from the fuel bowl drain valve, I had to reach in with one hand, while using a mirror with the other to get in there and replace the orings

You can see my little mirror in the pic below

So with the reduced weight, the reduced drag from lowering the top, and fixing the fuel leak, I should be getting a lot better fuel economy
    Now why would you do that, you just disabled your Anti-Rust System? I saw a service truck for a site contractor with the fuel nozzle when not in use stuck in a tube that ended directly over the driveshaft, the couple of drops after every use would coat the underside of the body from the back of cab to over the diff- I'm not saying it is legal, only effective.
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    330AB/P + Bernard cooler
    Syncrowave 250
    Oxy/Ace torch
    Dayton 160 MIG
    6CF pot with 185 compressor
    Too much big equipment
    Even more small tools

Post Thanks / Like

Are you putting a crane system in. I find I could use one to do this and that a crane all the time. I have been looking around for one but they are made of gold I guess. Going to build a simple one this winter along with many other projects. I have most of the parts I need for it, might as well.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

Just a suggestion but the fuel filter cap looks like it has not been off in a really long time!
    You might want to put a new filter in there, SOON!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Now why would you do that, you just disabled your Anti-Rust System? I saw a service truck for a site contractor with the fuel nozzle when not in use stuck in a tube that ended directly over the driveshaft, the couple of drops after every use would coat the underside of the body from the back of cab to over the diff- I'm not saying it is legal, only effective.
    That's funny, it does stop everything from rusting doesn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    Are you putting a crane system in. I find I could use one to do this and that a crane all the time. I have been looking around for one but they are made of gold I guess. Going to build a simple one this winter along with many other projects. I have most of the parts I need for it, might as well.
    I was thinking about it but I don't have the money for one right now, maybe it would come in handy

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    Just a suggestion but the fuel filter cap looks like it has not been off in a really long time!
    You might want to put a new filter in there, SOON!
    Yeah I changed the fuel filter when I was in there fixing the leak

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of crane are thinking of building?

Post Thanks / Like

Only use oem filters or else you can have problems too. The filter pushes down on a valve to allow fuel into the bowl. If the cap and/or filter aren't right fuel doesn't flow.

The heater in the bowl is another potential issue if it grounds out.

I pull the bowls and rebuild them on the bench.

12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    Tube channel: https://youtube.com/@VPTfab

Post Thanks / Like

Another potential fuel leak is at the fuel line clamp on the passenger side fuel line right by the turbo. The clamp rubs on the line and can rub a hole in it. I slice and wrap a rubber hose around the line and then clamp around that. On the very very left side of this pic you can see the rubber hose around the hard line, the clamp is right there, just not visible.

12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    Tube channel: https://youtube.com/@VPTfab

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive unique build !! Cooooool too. Thanx for posting...

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of crane are thinking of building?
    A copy of the Maxi-Lift-M50. Kind of. Not as fancy but close. Search that exact spelling on youtube. I have a cylinder and a pump set up ready to go. Going to use an axle stub to manually turn it, not the fancy hydraulics. The extension cylinder will come later. Again that will be manual with pins and maybe a cheap elect winch as well. I have material as well and I am sure you have some thick post material you can use in stock for all the gate work you do.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

A copy of the Maxi-Lift-M50. Kind of. Not as fancy but close. Search that exact spelling on youtube. I have a cylinder and a pump set up ready to go. Going to use an axle stub to manually turn it, not the fancy hydraulics. The extension cylinder will come later. Again that will be manual with pins and maybe a cheap elect winch as well. I have material as well and I am sure you have some thick post material you can use in stock for all the gate work you do.
    Whoa you're right, I think they are made of gold, I saw one on ebay for over $5k

But they are pretty nice units, I could use one of those
    Last edited by MetalMan23; 11-27-2018 at 12:29 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist