+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steel Strapping Equipment - recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Steel Strapping Equipment - recommendations?

I’m finding myself shipping more bundles of parts that often end up on flat bed trucks or trailers for trucking. I’ve looked around online and see lots of options and most of them are pretty expensive. I’m prepared to spend a bit if necessary, but I’d like to spend wisely and end up with a good quality tool that works well and will last.

My applications are generally bundles or skids/pallets of parts - weldments, sheared/formed parts, HSS, channel,etc. Seems like around 3/4 to 1” steel banding would suit me well. What can anyone recommend for equipment? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steel Strapping Equipment - recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by djd775 View Post
    I’m finding myself shipping more bundles of parts that often end up on flat bed trucks or trailers for trucking. I’ve looked around online and see lots of options and most of them are pretty expensive. I’m prepared to spend a bit if necessary, but I’d like to spend wisely and end up with a good quality tool that works well and will last.

My applications are generally bundles or skids/pallets of parts - weldments, sheared/formed parts, HSS, channel,etc. Seems like around 3/4 to 1” steel banding would suit me well. What can anyone recommend for equipment? Thanks in advance.

3/4 banding should be plenty unless you band a lot of very heavy object . The only time I see 1" used is on parts that weigh a few thousand pounds.

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I hate buying from uline... they always have what we need in strapping tools and coils always bought the 1/2 inch strap from them for parts on pallets but we weren't shipping super heavy steel flats...

https://www.uline.com/Grp_59/Steel-Strapping

Post Thanks / Like

We ship lumber all over the US. For years I used a manual tensioning machine coupled with a manual clamping tool. A couple of years ago I bought a used Signode AL-12 automatic banner and we love it.

It will tension, install the band clamp, clamp it and then cut the banding all in one too.

Not sure of the weights that you’re dealing with but 3/4” banding is pretty strong.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

There are open and closed clips. An open clip can be used anywhere you can overlap the bands. A closed clip must be slid on the banding first, then the banding is looped around the object. The dead end is inserted into the clip and bent over. The tensioner pushes the banding clip to tighten the band, and the tensioner breaks off the excess band. There must be a solid surface under the tensioner to keep the dead end from straightening. The tensioner for the open clip holds both ends of the strap and tensions it.

Most tensioners will do multiple sizes of banding, but the clips and crimpers are unique to a specific width.

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't say where you re but there's an industrial surplus store in Sanford, Fla that used to sell that stuff pretty cheap. I expect that you can find used crimpers, etc in just about any descent size city. Look on Craigslist for any businesses that are going out of business.

Post Thanks / Like

Manual tensioner and manual clamp with open clips that are put on after band is tight work well for me. I need a spool for band,it's inconvenient pulling band off without one.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions, I’m looking into options based on your comments. Anyone have experience with sealless banding tools?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Manual tensioner and manual clamp with open clips that are put on after band is tight work well for me. I need a spool for band,it's inconvenient pulling band off without one.
    I forgot that part. You absolutely need a cart for the banding roll.

Post Thanks / Like

Cart is pretty simple to make if you can weld... ��

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist