Thread: whats could be causing this?

Post Thanks / Like

whats could be causing this?

ok first off happy new years!! second, if you have read my previous thread about thinking I broke my welder, it was just user error. but im having a new issue, ill be welding along and all the sudden i get a flare up, its extremely bright !! when the flare up happens i stop and i have a crater in the metal and the tip of my tungsten is pretty much gone(no longer sharp its a blunt end). this is happening on stainless and mild, the pictures of the mild i didn't gride the scale off i was trying to figure out what was going on. the stainless i am doing a pretty good acetone prep/wipe down on it. so far i have tried 3 new pieces of tungsten, i have used different grinding wheels to sharpen them, i have gas flow. only things i don't know how to rule out are solenoid in welder for gas flow, flow meter, or me stepping on the hose accidently(i don't believe this is happening i would feel it).

Name:  IMG_0207.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  105.2 KBName:  IMG_0208.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  103.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: whats could be causing this?

My first thought would be loss of shielding gas. Is everything connected properly? no semi-loose connection at the back of the machine? What machine are you speaking of?

You can hook the torch up to the argon regulator and bypass the internal solenoid.

Post Thanks / Like

Your tungsten is either too thin, or your polarity could be backwards putting too much heat in your tungsten. I am figuring that your tungsten is too thin, as the big flash is when it melts into your puddle with a long arc.
    Last edited by shovelon; 01-01-2019 at 10:55 PM.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW2002ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rustybronco View Post
    My first thought would be loss of shielding gas. Is everything connected properly? no semi-loose connection at the back of the machine? What machine are you speaking of?

You can hook the torch up to the argon regulator and bypass the internal solenoid.

its an AHP and i was wondering about bypassing the solenoid, thank you for answering that !! everything is connected properly, no leaks that i can find.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Your tungsten is either too thin, or your polarity could be backwards putting too much heat in your tungsten. I am figuring that your tungsten is too thin, as the big flash is when it melts into your puddle with a long arc.
    that kinda makes sense and was something else i wondered about, i am picking up a dedicated tungsten grinder before i weld again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JHForman View Post
    that kinda makes sense and was something else i wondered about, i am picking up a dedicated tungsten grinder before i weld again.
    IMO you don't need a dedicated tungsten grinder, just one that puts a nice point on it. You really have to work at contaminating your tungsten by grinding lesser materials into it which just won't stick. With that said I really don't like bench grinders and have belt sanders that are multipurpose including pointing my tungstens.

I forgot that I do have a Harbor Freight 3 inch mini grinder stacked with cutoff disks to point tungstens in the field. It fits right in my little tig tool box.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW2002ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you first post what your setup and material thickness is?
    (then I'll bow out)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    IMO you don't need a dedicated tungsten grinder, just one that puts a nice point on it. You really have to work at contaminating your tungsten by grinding lesser materials into it which just won't stick. With that said I really don't like bench grinders and have belt sanders that are multipurpose including pointing my tungstens.

I forgot that I do have a Harbor Freight 3 inch mini grinder stacked with cutoff disks to point tungstens in the field. It fits right in my little tig tool box.
    ive been using my bench grinder till this started happening then i used my angle grinder and a few other tools to sharpen just to be sure it wasn't contamination. I will try a different point and see if this annoying problem goes away. it does make sense that the sharp point basically blows off/vanishes and i have a dull point after. so it seems very possible im griding them to small.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rustybronco View Post
    Why don't you first post what your setup and material thickness is?
    (then I'll bow out)

AlphaTIG, different thickness of metal, these were just the 2 pieces i had saved from the times its happened. im using a 17 torch, 3/32 tungsten, gas lens, different size cups to rule that out. amperage hard to say unless i video it. I am controlling it with my foot and watching the puddle etc. these were some older practice pieces i posted where this happened. heres a newer and what i feel is much better piece

Name:  IMG_0204.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  88.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

It kinda looka like you may be advancing the electrode/bead too slowly, and consequently, cooking the puddle, causing it to swell up to meet the electrode. Suggest practice on moving the electrode ahead faster to provide a longer puddle before adding filler. Show us pictures when you have it mastered.
    Last edited by Weldordie; 01-02-2019 at 06:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you recently changed argon tanks? To me it is acting just like I have seen mine do when I got some contaminated argon. If you have another bottle of argon try it and see if the problem goes away.