Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening Tungsten

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sharpening Tungsten

Woodturners Wander First Then D-way tools

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LtBadd View Post
    Yes, I wanted to outfit my 6" bench grinder, but it seems these are mostly 8" wheels, very limited selection of grits for 6", if you have a source let me know
    Wood turners Wander First Then D-Way tools. D-way Also carries a lot of nice bushings that will fit your grinder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Welcome to the forum partsguy
    Enjoy reading some of the stuff here. Just a hobby guy... far from a professional welder... equipment welding and car stuff... my last build... fair amount of metal work.. quarters, mini tub, suspension... exhaust etc etc... do all my own work..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Partsguy57; 12-30-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a really nice car wow. I bet it only comes out in the super nice days

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Showdog75 View Post
    You can sharpen tungsten with a torch, I've done it and used it my fair share. Not the ideal way to sharpen it but when your in a boiler and you've got a torch handy it'll work in a pinch. I've passed x-ray welds doing it. Sharpening tungsten is a much over hyped task on this forum. It's not so much how you sharpen it but to get it like you want it. I work in nukes and all varieties of power plants and this isn't rocket science. I've run automatic orbitals for years and on those it does make a difference and the focus is consistency. For that a diamond wheel is king period. Who cares how you sharpen your stuff just do it and get back to welding children.
    hmmm... I stand corrected. Might get me outa a bind sometime. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a really nice car wow. I bet it only comes out in the super nice days
    I do try to drive only on nice days and swore I would never drive in the rain... kool April nites car event this year got caught in a absolute downpour...

Post Thanks / Like

I’m from pnw so I know all about the rain. Waiting for it to stop now so I can go fishing out on my boat. Was half blue sky’s earlier

Post Thanks / Like

End of thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Showdog75 View Post
    Sharpening tungsten is a much over hyped task on this forum. It's not so much how you sharpen it but to get it like you want it. I work in nukes and all varieties of power plants and this isn't rocket science. I've run automatic orbitals for years and on those it does make a difference and the focus is consistency. For that a diamond wheel is king period. Who cares how you sharpen your stuff just do it and get back to welding children.
    No, no, no, doncha know ya gotta spend $$$$$ for a special dedicated superduper cordless wireless laser-guided water-cooled Bluetooth Facebooked IGBT tungsten grinder!

Thanks to its inerter technology, it only uses 300W as opposed to 600W like a conventional angle grinder, which means that if you use it 40 hrs/week, it will pay for itself in just 12,000 years!

And if you had bothered to read even a small fraction of the 458,649,338 threads (and counting) about tungsten grinders on WeldingWeb, you would have known that!
    Last edited by Kelvin; 12-31-2018 at 09:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonylumps View Post
    End of thread
    Only if it were that easy we would all be getting along

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LtBadd View Post
    Yes, I wanted to outfit my 6" bench grinder, but it seems these are mostly 8" wheels, very limited selection of grits for 6", if you have a source let me know
    See my post #20. It will cost you $10.00 to test one . There are or were post here about this harbor freight wheel .

https://www.harborfreight.com/replac...ner-98862.html

Post Thanks / Like

I’m from pnw so I know all about the rain. Waiting for it to stop now so I can go fishing out on my boat. Was half blue sky’s earlier
    Lol yep the rain... I'm in southern oregon so we do have quite a bit less rain vs a hour north and above.. loaded up the dirt bikes and went riding yesterday. Good damp weather fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Partsguy57 View Post
    Lol yep the rain... I'm in southern oregon so we do have quite a bit less rain vs a hour north and above.. loaded up the dirt bikes and went riding yesterday. Good damp weather fun.

I always liked fabing beams on the ground. Knees in a mud puddle, and the rain running down your back! Oh, I miss those days!
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

if you want to do it correct in my strong opinion, you'd use a fine dedicated wheel on a bench grinder. probabaly almost anything you use will put fine scratch marks on surface you your ground taper. being a good portion of your electricity likes to travel on outside of wires/tungstens/conducters, etc. , it is better to have your fine scratch marks running parallel/lengthwise w/ your tungsten. so you'd then want to hold the point leading into the grinding wheel. pretty hard to have point leading into some of the methods others described, as point would tend to dig in/broke off. i never tried a belt sander though
    Last edited by 123weld; 12-31-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

...like Showdog said, you use a torch... and an oven mitt of a glove ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I've done it with a torch before, it leaves a lot of crud/residue on the tungsten that you need to sand off.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Im missing something, but as a complete newb it seems this is one of the easiest parts of GTAW. Maybe im lucky to have a range of tools being a carpenter. But If youre welding surely youll have a angle grinder at least. Any grinding blade of flapper disc is going to work. If you have a battery drill chuck it up and use that for a bit more consistancy. I have a bench grinder with linishing adaptor so use that. But previously used the standard wheel that came on it.

I get there may be some real fine tuning at the pointy end of the welding spectrum (aerospace etc) but for general stuff isnt near enough good enough?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by husq2100 View Post

I get there may be some real fine tuning at the pointy end of the welding spectrum (aerospace etc) but for general stuff isnt near enough good enough?
    On occasion I find good enough welds better than perfect. I don't care if there is a coarse grind on it as long is the geometry and point are the way I like it. You can do really nice work with a really crappy looking tungsten.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the all the info But I am going to take One of the CBN wheels Soak it in soap and water.Scrub it down with a hard brissle brush and use it .Hell it is paid for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Partsguy57 View Post
    Enjoy reading some of the stuff here. Just a hobby guy... far from a professional welder... equipment welding and car stuff... my last build... fair amount of metal work.. quarters, mini tub, suspension... exhaust etc etc... do all my own work..

Just noticed the rear link set up. WHats going on there? 3 link + panhard? It looks like all links come in to thebottom of the housing? what stops housing rotation?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    i never tried a belt sander though
    I am a total TIG noob so I go through a LOT of tungstens each time I try.... and I took advice here and use a dedicated belt in the belt grinder (against the platen) and chuck the tungstens into a cordless drill. Works good. And I place them parallel to the belt, so scratch marks are aligned with the point.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of you guys make me laugh..... always gotta be a prick and a smarta$$ on anything thats asked on here. Obviously you guys didnt get the question of the OP. Maybe some of you cant read, its cool I dont judge. Get someone to read it to you....

2017 Everlast Powertig 210 EXT with a CK 20 and water cooler
    Miller Multimatic 215
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 XP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by husq2100 View Post
    Just noticed the rear link set up. WHats going on there? 3 link + panhard? It looks like all links come in to thebottom of the housing? what stops housing rotation?
    Torque arm... you can see the arm off a the bottom of the diff it runs forward almost to the trans.. I have a bone stock 67 ss/rs 83,000 mile Camaro also and the difference in driving is amazing. The work really well with higher horse power applications as they control axile rotation very well with that long arm. ( you can see the very end of the arm by the h pipe on the exhaust)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by songer121 View Post
    Some of you guys make me laugh..... always gotta be a prick and a smarta$$ on anything thats asked on here. Obviously you guys didnt get the question of the OP. Maybe some of you cant read, its cool I dont judge. Get someone to read it to you....

You just called someone a prick and smarta$$. Isn’t that judging?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by songer121 View Post
    Some of you guys make me laugh..... always gotta be a prick and a smarta$$ on anything thats asked on here.
    Weren't you the one who was "a prick and a smartass" recently when you didn't know WTF you were talking about? People who live in glass houses...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist