+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3rd Gen Tacoma Tow front tow hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3rd Gen Tacoma Tow front tow hook.

I’ve got a 2011 taco, and I know something’s “off” with how the steering feels but I’ve taken it in to shops and they say it’s in good shape. It’s not a brand new truck obviously but I have to say I’m surprised it’s already feeling and sounding “rough” - maybe I’m just too hopeful and unrealistic in believing that Toyotas really do last forever
    Also, the traction control bugs me too. 4x4 is nice up here in the great white north though!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EliseLCR View Post
    I’ve got a 2011 taco, and I know something’s “off” with how the steering feels but I’ve taken it in to shops and they say it’s in good shape. It’s not a brand new truck obviously but I have to say I’m surprised it’s already feeling and sounding “rough” - maybe I’m just too hopeful and unrealistic in believing that Toyotas really do last forever
    Also, the traction control bugs me too. 4x4 is nice up here in the great white north though!
    you try new tires up front?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapman Industries View Post
    Yeah my 98 taco rusted out as well. I was gonna fix it but it was so bad and rusted I decided to just torch the thing in half. almost caught the house on fire because I forgot to pull the fuel tank out. oh well. But now I'm working on repairing this 04 f150 to get it good enough for on the farm use. It was gonna be a road worthy repair until I opened it up with the plasma and found that half the inside wall of the frame is completely gone. from the looks of it, the frame rotted away from the inside out. as I was beating on it with the hammer to get my plates to bend all the rust just started flaking off. the original frame was 1/8" thick. now its like 20 gauge or less all along the inside wall. Looking at my 02 f150 they changed frames in either 03 or 04. the boxes just rust out and you can't even tell. Looking at this 17 taco the frames the same way it looks like. I'm gonna be spraying mine with diesel every year now. no way did I pay 30k for a 10 year truck plan. and we can blame it on the salt brine all we want but even PennDots f350's and 550's don't rust this quick. they still got the channel frames.
    I spray a mix of used oil on the chassis to wet them up in all the nooks and crannies and seems to work well.. I use this sprayer from harbor freight and it works great.. https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...gun-68290.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drooopy View Post
    Im not sure your differential works how you think it does.

If you have Toyota's Auto LSD, that is not even a true LSD. All it does is use traction control to try to simulate a limited slip differential but is truly an open diff. It applies the brakes to a slipping wheel and cuts engine power if one of the two wheels slips. Auto LSD is still on even with traction control off on Toyotas. Not a good way to do it if you want a vehicle that actually handles well off road in my opinion.
    yes that is what I'm talking about. the auto LSD. what ever is happening when that kicks in makes the truck do the exact opposite of what I'm trying to make it do. If I'm trying to powerslide around a turn or hammer through some deep mud or snow it pretty much just makes a bunch of noise, doesn't put any power down to the road and the truck just slides in a straight line or doesn't really move at all. If there was a way to disable that it would be pretty awesome. I think when i put in in 4wd low for the first time the other day I found that light turns off. so maybe its better in 4wheel low? Not sure but 4 wheel high is nothing like the 98.

And yes this was made with an underpowered flux core welder. .030 E71t-11. I have two stick welders but they were at another location when I felt like building this. I've used that same welder when I built the trailer that car is sitting on behind the 98 taco. and that was before I really knew how to use the flux core machine. I mean I'm still learning but that trailer was my first ever project I made on my own. hadn't welded in 3 years but I was like hey I'm gonna buy a welder one day. and thats what I did. went and got some random steel and started putting it together with no plans what so ever and somehow I got a trailer out of the deal. I'm not the worst welder to ever make a trailer but looking at them welds now i'm almost surprised. If I made another it would come out way better than that thing. all I had to build that though was a cheap angle grinder a chipping hammer and wire brush, and a small 220v flux core machine. I made it work but damn have I come a long way since then.

If that trailer was able to stand the abuse I put it through I'm sure an occasional use tow hook thing can take it.
    Last edited by Scrapman Industries; 01-31-2019 at 09:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

when you say steering is sounding and feeling rough is that in 2wd or 4wd? steering will usually sound and feel rough in 4wd.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  unnamed-5.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  16.0 KB I made this other trailer with the underpowered wire machine as well. That thing got the crap beat out of it. I was pulling upwards of 2500lbs of scrap 80 miles, 3 times a day, everyday for a week. Plus all the other things I did with that trailer. Best trailer I ever had though. It could pull doubles pretty nice also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapman Industries View Post
    when you say steering is sounding and feeling rough is that in 2wd or 4wd? steering will usually sound and feel rough in 4wd.
    Both unfortunately

Post Thanks / Like

Both unfortunately
    are you running with the same set of tires from 2011?

Post Thanks / Like

On occasion, I have the privilege of following a Toyota pickup truck (mostly on hills, or in a no passing zones), and I'm amazed at the puny lil' differential living underneath that anemic truck wanabe.

Then, as the tired ol' 460 under the hood growls, and I gently ease it into 5th...……….I glance at the driver as I sail by.

Limp wrists. Coke bottle eyeglasses. Faraway intellectual fuzzy look in the eyes. And if'n it's a redneck......I just sigh...….knowing it's a genetic defect.....something about cousins I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    On occasion, I have the privilege of following a Toyota pickup truck (mostly on hills, or in a no passing zones), and I'm amazed at the puny lil' differential living underneath that anemic truck wanabe.

Then, as the tired ol' 460 under the hood growls, and I gently ease it into 5th...……….I glance at the driver as I sail by.

Limp wrists. Coke bottle eyeglasses. Faraway intellectual fuzzy look in the eyes. And if'n it's a redneck......I just sigh...….knowing it's a genetic defect.....something about cousins I believe.

So now you have started following motolife313 around??

Post Thanks / Like

The old ones did........... DO

Name:  cruiserweb.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  167.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

If this were a GM I'd say it sounds like the wheel hubs need replacing.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist