+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln Sa200 wisconsin 4 powered Sheild Arc welder

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln Sa200 wisconsin 4 powered Sheild Arc welder

Looking for any and all info on this machine manuals parts books etc ...shes rusty crusty but I like them like this and the price was right Ive seen some on youtube but know were elese.

Figured someone on here would know about these machines it was stuck when I got it, flywheel fins snapped off different shroud on the blower I think someone over time swapped it out ?? with traces of yellow paint tag says its a ve4 3x31/4 but the bore measures to be 3.25 and one piston says std on top ?The reason I ask is I need two pistons for this as one was broken already and the other I broke getting it out only cast aluminum, bores look ok and saveable any idea what engine model this is tag on the welder dates it to 1952?
    ?All the sheetmetal is there had to heat every flathead screw and use a impact driver to get the sheetmetal offName:  IMG_0570.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  163.4 KBName:  IMG_0571 (1).jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  161.9 KBName:  IMG_0572 (1).jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  129.9 KBName:  IMG_0573.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  149.2 KBName:  IMG_0574.jpg
Views: 1399
Size:  185.9 KB,it was in a barn for 20 plus....Years know one knew the history really commutator looks good and brushes are pretty thick bores on the cylinders have know sign of a ridge .
    My plans are to get the motor running paint it back to its orgional grey and ad a grinder plug if I can what do you guys think ???
    Miller aead 200le
    Miller bluestar 2e
    Miller Dial Arc hf-p
    Miller cool mate 1
    Millermatic 35
    Lincoln weldanpower ac/dc -cc/cv
    Lincoln 140hd
    Porter cable metal chop saw
    Victor torches
    Hypertherm Max43
    Miller Trailblazer 250G

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln Sa200 wisconsin 4 powered Sheild Arc welder

Here are some more sorry about the rotated pics......Magneto was a mess took it apart cleaned it got that working well piston supplier told me today that the ve4 is std size 3.00 inch bore this has engine has a 3.25ich with a std marking ontop of one of the pistons ,leads me to believe the shroud probably rotted off and blew away and they put a ve4 shroud on it. Having a hard time trying to find pistons for this machine
    So maybe the engine is a different model im not really up to snuff on the wisconsins?
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Miller aead 200le
    Miller bluestar 2e
    Miller Dial Arc hf-p
    Miller cool mate 1
    Millermatic 35
    Lincoln 140hd
    Victor torches
    Hypertherm Max43
    Miller Trailblazer 250G

Post Thanks / Like

i used to be into wisc motors about 20+ yrs ago. dont take my word for it, as i'm going off my memory. 3.25 bore was vh4-d motoer. also, the twin barrels and heads were the same off a tjd a(a 2 cyl), and maybe even the thd. so maybe the pistons are the same also. i never heard of the ve, but there were tons of vh4'd made . i may still have all my literature on tjd, th, thd, vh4-d, all 3.25 bore i think. i think many of the upper hard parts were the same, two cyls were like a 4 cyl, just chopped in half

Post Thanks / Like

“Shield Arc” I meant to say ..,and thanks 123 on the info I appreciate it .
    Miller aead 200le
    Miller bluestar 2e
    Miller Dial Arc hf-p
    Miller cool mate 1
    Millermatic 35
    Lincoln 140hd
    Victor torches
    Hypertherm Max43
    Miller Trailblazer 250G

Post Thanks / Like

Could your tag be VF4? Page attached from Wisconsin service manual.
    I could not find an Owner's Manual for your code but manual IM172 (earliest code 2439) has the VF4.
    Good luck with your project
    Sorry for the sideways picture

Post Thanks / Like

Its a VF4. Ive got lots of literature on these machines. Parts too. PM me with you email.
    piece of soapstone
    tape measure
    chipping hammer (wire handle type)
    tip cleaners

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks KC51 and BlackSlacks I sent a PM
    Miller aead 200le
    Miller bluestar 2e
    Miller Dial Arc hf-p
    Miller cool mate 1
    Millermatic 35
    Lincoln 140hd
    Victor torches
    Hypertherm Max43
    Miller Trailblazer 250G

Post Thanks / Like

Good find! I was wondering if we would see that $100 Craigslist find on our site. Keep us posted on your project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1968-'70 Lincoln SA 200 code 6633
    Millermatic 200 serial#JE834063

Post Thanks / Like

More progress torn down as far as i want to go ,got a new flywheel in and some engine parts .If any one has a machine like this with a grinder plug on them i would love to see pics of how its wired or a wiring diagram im looking to ad one on my machine?
    I know they exist ive seen them on you tube and in google pics ,lots of square furniture nuts on it that were rusted solid !Pretty neat how the brass tag is on there marking the positive lug and steel marking the neg lug didnt find it till i blasted all the parts clean everything was painted over .Was there a sheild arc decal on the back of the tank ?
    There is kind of a long rust pitted outline in the metal were something was there, only one with tank decals ive seen was wrenchguys 1947 model which had warning decals and carhart customs shield arc decal on the You tube .The shield arc decal looks pretty sweet and fits right on there and ive seen them on Lincolncontrolplates site so i may go that route
    Thanks D
    Miller aead 200le
    Miller bluestar 2e
    Miller Dial Arc hf-p
    Miller cool mate 1
    Millermatic 35
    Lincoln 140hd
    Victor torches
    Hypertherm Max43
    Miller Trailblazer 250G

Post Thanks / Like

Neg tag may be aluminum i will check later .
    Miller aead 200le
    Miller bluestar 2e
    Miller Dial Arc hf-p
    Miller cool mate 1
    Millermatic 35
    Lincoln 140hd
    Victor torches
    Hypertherm Max43
    Miller Trailblazer 250G

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if you have this.
    wiring dia.pdf
    piece of soapstone
    tape measure
    chipping hammer (wire handle type)
    tip cleaners

Post Thanks / Like

Here's 1 of mine (1947) on my newly acquired service truck. It runs and welds fine, u prolly saw it on youtube. Good luck with ur project.

Last edited by wrenchguy; 01-22-2019 at 07:20 PM.

13. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Black Slacks ! I didnt have that drawing does anyone know how to wire a grinder plug on one of these ?
    WrenchGuy thanks for posting your pics I love the service truck idea it looks period of the time !I like the compressor too looks like a Briggs Z on there also from the 40s era what make is it?
    Miller aead 200le
    Miller bluestar 2e
    Miller Dial Arc hf-p
    Miller cool mate 1
    Millermatic 35
    Lincoln 140hd
    Victor torches
    Hypertherm Max43
    Miller Trailblazer 250G

Post Thanks / Like

If you do figure out how to wire a plug for your machine, make sure your power tools are AC and DC current. AC only power tools will burn up and they’ll wind up in the trash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1968-'70 Lincoln SA 200 code 6633
    Millermatic 200 serial#JE834063

Post Thanks / Like

Tools with brushes can be used with ac or dc on a Lincoln dc welder. The tag is meaningless to me. I have a harbor fart grinder that saiz ac but works better on dc on my sa200. Some metabo's are ac only so beware. Variable speed tools should only be used at full speed.

I don't believe your shield arc should be used for a grinder tho. Reason is: rpm from the Wisconsin controls arc voltage and the resistor grid selects amp range. Different rpm's will have different volts. The sa200's have a fixed engine speed around 1500 rpm so that volts to the outlet are fixed. The rheostat adjusts arc volts after the outlet so that the outlet is constant with fixed rpm.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually it runs at 1900 rpm normal load speed and ive seen 3 of them with a plug on them the gen head looks the same and it looks like the receptacle that Lincoln had factory on the 2 cylinder lincwelders with the Wisconsin and the onan series as well with the slanted looking plug ends.
    Im going to contcact Lincoln for more info .Thanks For your HelpName:  IMG_0980.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  51.0 KB
    Miller aead 200le
    Miller bluestar 2e
    Miller Dial Arc hf-p
    Miller cool mate 1
    Millermatic 35
    Lincoln 140hd
    Victor torches
    Hypertherm Max43
    Miller Trailblazer 250G

Post Thanks / Like

I see in post #12 second pic, the nomenclature shows 2200 rpm max no load speed for that machine.

I'm sure 90 volts dc could run a grinder but are you sure the red machine is a dc machine? Without pics of the faceplate, that could be an ac version. I don't know but if you need/want an outlet; get it running first and find out your highest ocv. RPM's are a factor so use highest rpms as the sa200's are only good for 15 amps, your machine may be less.

BTW, your doing a a great job with restoration. Was neg plate aluminum?

Post Thanks / Like

From the diagram from post #11, it looks like highest volts would come from RED and INSIDE LEAD. I would also measure from INSIDe LEAD to OUTSIdE LEAd. Those would most likely be the only taps you could get the volts needed to run a grinder. Volts will depend on rpm tho.

Post Thanks / Like

fyi, 4 anyone finding these welders, remove the oilpan and clean the sludge out b4 starting. Then spin it over and check at the governor that oil is coming out the tube. This was the sludge build up in the engine on the above truck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrenchguy View Post
    fyi, 4 anyone finding these welders, remove the oilpan and clean the sludge out b4 starting. Then spin it over and check at the governor that oil is coming out the tube. This was the sludge build up in the engine on the above truck.
    That is super sludge wow! Lol good advice

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone I know it’s been a while ,started back on the sa200 got it running still got a few things to clean up .
    Wiring repair from mice damage prime and paint seems to run pretty well .
    This machine was neglected for a long time had a wix oil filter that looked like a soup can prob 60s if I had to guess .
    I checked for voltage at the rheostat wires and got some readings at idle so shouldn’t have a problem welding .
    Pulled the pipe plug for the bearing in the back do you just pack a little grease in there as there is no fitting or tapping for one ?
    Also found a factory inspection test mark which is prob rare to find on these under the grime .
    Miller aead 200le
    Miller bluestar 2e
    Miller Dial Arc hf-p
    Miller cool mate 1
    Millermatic 35
    Lincoln 140hd
    Victor torches
    Hypertherm Max43
    Miller Trailblazer 250G

Post Thanks / Like

Have this machine up for sale on eBay in order to fund other projects,next machine I will be getting onto is a 1945 sa200 shorthood and will post this winter thanks all that helped with this project it was fun stay safe!
    D

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody gonna hate me. I just dropped an old asphalt roller in the dumpster. Haven't taken it to the scrap yard yet. But it has a perfectly good looking and running Wisconsin engine in it. I just don't have the time to mess with it or I would have pulled it to sell.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Are these Wisconsin powered welders as good as the true SA 200? I note the Continental powered welders have an external Exciter and these do not.

I have 2 of these I am about ready to give up on. First reason, lack of electric start capability. I am getting too old and they don't start easy and are temperamental when hot.
    2. They are too heavy to load in a pickup easily. I only need a 125-150 amp machine. I am going to start watching auctions for something smaller. I certainly don't want something too new. Have you seen that one that Wes was working on on utube?
    3. One is the resistor type with taps. The other is the switch type. They both ran and welded. I selected the switch one and transferred all sheet metal to it, now I find it missing on one cylinder.
    My son had a 2 cylinder Wisconsin one he offered me at one time but they are AC for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering if anybody would know where to find the armature bearing housing for the sa 200 juniors mine broke off during disassembly?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist