+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ideas for MIG Welding AL with Lincoln Invertec V350 Pro/DH-10 wire feeder

Post Thanks / Like

Ideas for MIG Welding AL with Lincoln Invertec V350 Pro/DH-10 wire feeder

I'm new to MIG welding and was hoping you guys could provide ideas or recommendations on what I should be looking at to MIG weld Aluminum with the MIG welder setup I just bought. I have a used Lincoln Invertec V350 Pro factory model (non-pulsed) power source and a Lincoln double head DH-10 bench wire feeder (the LN-10 is the single head equivalent). Although I won't be welding for a living, I plan to have a hobby metal shop for my retirement where I envision welding 3/8" thick aluminum and sometimes 1/2" or larger.

I was hoping you could throw out some ideas on this post and then I can research the proposed product and/or solution for addition to this MIG welder.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ideas for MIG Welding AL with Lincoln Invertec V350 Pro/DH-10 wire feeder

Why not buy the spool gun?
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

"Although I won't be welding for a living, I plan to have a hobby metal shop for my retirement where I envision welding 3/8" thick aluminum and sometimes 1/2" or larger."

What the hell sort of 'hobby welding' do you plan using 3/8-1/2" or thicker AL? And, it looks like CEP is 'cheating' by demonstrating the use of 4043! One HAS to suck lung fulls of 5356 smut.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yofish View Post
    "Although I won't be welding for a living, I plan to have a hobby metal shop for my retirement where I envision welding 3/8" thick aluminum and sometimes 1/2" or larger."

What the hell sort of 'hobby welding' do you plan using 3/8-1/2" or thicker AL? And, it looks like CEP is 'cheating' by demonstrating the use of 4043! One HAS to suck lung fulls of 5356 smut.....

Isn't bigger always better? Who knows what type of welding I'll be doing in the future, but I should note that I have a small farm, a sawmill operation, and various pieces of heavy equipment (stock trailers, tractors, backhoe, a couple big trucks). I'm an engineer by trade so who knows what hair-brain fabricating idea's will come out of my noggin in the future.

A couple of weeks ago, I rented a somewhat low aluminum trailer to pull behind my jeep so I could haul home an 800 lb wood boiler . I chained the winch to the side pockets (something like 3/16 or 1/4" thick) on the AL trailer. While winching the boiler up the incline, the aluminum pockets on the side of the trailer started to bend. I learned that although aluminum is light, it isn't very strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Spool gun or try to find a cobramatic feeder with a push pull that's your best bet

Post Thanks / Like

I have VERY little experience with MIG aluminum. I have owned a spool gun for my Millermatic 252 since 2013. I haven't had occasion to plug it in.

When I explored the concept of aluminum welding, a salesman convinced me to buy a spool gun. He demonstrated. It was OK, not impressive.

Before that, I asked a friend who had bought an outfit if I could try his. He bought his to build custom truck beds. He sort of built one. I tried on 16 gauge alum. to build a simple box. I keep that mess around to show how far I have come.

Now you want to see me get excited about aluminum welding, lets talk TIG.

I believe MIG should be used for 1/8" thick, and greater. TIG is good for all thicknesses.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a Very nice system. If it was Pulse it would be golden. That was one of the best Lincoln units. You can find a spoolgun for it for not much money and get started there. Many many options as you move up in equipment from there.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

I have few questions. Does the operator manual have any parameters for welding alum?

Are you open for using 5356 filler 3/64" diameter(which is what I use for heavy plate 6061-t6 and feeds wonderfully)?

If it were me I would start with U groove drive rolls and a short torch and nylon liner. See if it even starts and maintains an arc.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist