Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: anyone ever used a grease gun for a hydrostatic test of a tank?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: anyone ever used a grease gun for a hrrststic taste of at tank

Correct,,, shutting off the tank outlet turns up the pressure. The relief valve is there so it cant deadhead. This one was for some thinwall alum pipe. There are a couple different pump/washer setups to do this, for higher pressures need to bypass the unloader. I have turned them up 2000#.

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea you have there. I never did a test before so I was afraid to use the PW so I bought the hand pump... You should make a youtube video of your tester in action the next time you have to test a vessel. Many like myself e would like to see how it's done. Thanks for sharing your picture and your advice Cary.

Post Thanks / Like

One problem using air pressure to static test a tank is that if let's say for whatever reason you were to leave an air pocket in the tank and you were to suddenly hit the tank with high pressure 2,500 psi by mistake or because of regulator failure, you can superheat the air and then boil the water in the tank. That is what causes, most catastrophic air-compressor failures. Even the pressure-safety/blow-off cannot stop a steam accident.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Porta-power pumps have been used for hydrostatic testing as well. You can always leave a fitting loose or crack a valve to release any air pockets while slowly adding pressure. Pumps made specifically for hydro testing pump water in and have a bleed screw to help prime. Most common was a Baker pump but not sure if they make them anymore. Here's some up to 10,000 PSI. A larger rental outfit may have them for rent too. Worked at a tank shop where a 750 barrel tank was ruined because they let the water out before releasing the pressure. It wasn't a lot of pressure but enough it sucked the top of the tank in. Very expensive mistake as the tank also had a ton of studs welded on it to hold insulation.

https://www.cvs-controls.com/our-pro...hemical-pumps/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    William, thanks for offering your thoughts on how to go about testing the tank. I have a hydrostatic tester coming, I will wait until it arrives in March, I'm in no hurry, it's still cold here, our night time temps are still below freezing.

I was thinking about using the pressure washer or airless sprayer to fill the tank because of the size of the tank, it's so large I am thinking the small tester might not put out enough volume to test the tank in a reasonable amount of time even after I first fill it with the water hose.

There undoubtedly is going to be air in the tank that must be displaced because of where the compressor's feed line enters the tank.

I am thinking I can remove the filter on the output side of the tank's nipple, add a 90* elbow to the nipple looking up, and add a length of pipe which stands a foot higher than the tank, keep filling the tank with water until it comes out the standpipe with no bobbles than close the ball valve.

I'm going to remove the fitting with the pop-off valve and the stop line tube and screw in a nipple with a water hose bushing into the tanks weldolet to fill the tank with water.

William, have you experience in hydrostatic testing lines and vessels?
    Never saw these posts, my apologies. When they test they fill the tank completely.

If I had to test a compressor tank instead of filling it with water I would put it in a tank of water and just test it with air. That is how they test high-pressure tanks.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

6. Likes tackit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    Never saw these posts, my apologies. When they test they fill the tank completely.

If I had to test a compressor tank instead of filling it with water I would put it in a tank of water and just test it with air. That is how they test high-pressure tanks.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Thanks William, but my tank is an 80 gallon tank, I would need to buy a swimming pool to test it in.

Post Thanks / Like

When you send a tank out to be hydro tested they remove the valve and hydro test it in a tank of water which allows them to measure the expansion (displacement). It is then dried and visually inspected prior to re-installing the valve. On large tanks they are taken to a value higher than the working capacity, typically something like 150%, and measured. Tanks should never be tested with compressed gas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    When you send a tank out to be hydro tested they remove the valve and hydro test it in a tank of water which allows them to measure the expansion (displacement). It is then dried and visually inspected prior to re-installing the valve. On large tanks they are taken to a value higher than the working capacity, typically something like 150%, and measured. Tanks should never be tested with compressed gas.
    That reminds me of a question on the 30 hour OSHA test. If running lines for flammable gas the lines have to be?

And the correct answer was "liquid-tight."

Now that is just insane because liquids will often not leak even though air will. I have even seen after a couple of hours where the oily pipe dope in the threaded joints was pushed out and then air started leaking even though they were not leaking right after installation. The soap bubbles were still on the pipe and after about two hours they foamed up, and when resprayed they instantly foamed up. So the only way to check a high-pressure air/gas tank is with air/gas pressure.

Sincerely,

William McCormick