+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitachi zx35u - new thumb and needs couplers

Post Thanks / Like

Hitachi zx35u - new thumb and needs couplers

Got a thumb on order and need couplers. I'm guessing this is a very common question for people - which ones do I buy?

I did some online searching and came up with these numbers for the ones possibly on the machine.
    (need some to hook to them)

KV13884, sub for 4486229
    KV13885, sub for 4486230

Also found listed:
    AT312877

Does that help narrow down what I would buy to plug into them? Thanks in advance

I'm very much a novice to excavators...been using my old WD Allis Chalmers since the 90's for everything.
    Got tons of work done with that tractor, but it's amazing how fast and versatile this excavator and the Bobcat 873 are in comparison.

Oh, the thumb is a 27" hydraulic: https://linvilleindustries.com/produ...backhoe-thumb/
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hitachi zx35u - new thumb and needs couplers

Thats a very good price for a hydraulic thumb. I can't help you on the couplers

Post Thanks / Like

Can't help you on the couplers normally I'd just buy a set and change out what's on the machine... especially if their some odd ball ones you might post up pics of the ones on the machine along with measurements...

One thing I'd definitely do is check and reset the thumb pressure relief to <2500 (or less)to match that cylinder as the machine can do >3500PSI

4. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For that setup you can probably use standard ag type 1/2" pioneer couplers. Is the machine pre-plumbed? I like to stay away from pipe threads for that stuff and use O-ring boss fittings on the hose ends that connect to the coupler halves. If you do go pipe threads, Loctite 567 pipe sealer is the stuff. I've used it on drill rigs that had some heavy pressure spikes and it holds up well and you can still unscrew the fittings.

6. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh... forgot to add earlier... on a thumb like you're getting you really don't need quick-couplers.... anyways... unless you're planning on getting more attachments like a hoepac, woodsplitter, breaker,mower,etc... if you do put QC's on it then don't use them for a year or two they will probably be stuck/rusted on and won't come off quick anyways

8. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Oh... forgot to add earlier... on a thumb like you're getting you really don't need quick-couplers.... anyways... unless you're planning on getting more attachments like a hoepac, woodsplitter, breaker,mower,etc... if you do put QC's on it then don't use them for a year or two they will probably be stuck/rusted on and won't come off quick anyways
    True.... Especially those flatface types. I hate them.

10. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can’t help with the connectors but wanted to comment that you’ll wonder how you ever did without the thumb. I’ve had them on excavators and have one now on my Kubota backhoe.
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma
    Died and needs a new circuit board so its an expensive boat anchor now
    Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

12. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Agree.
    Kubota uses them (along with a quick disconnect gizmo)

leaked like crazy...

removed quik disconn. and replaced them with 4 individual pioneers... PERFECT !
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't help you on the couplers normally I'd just buy a set and change out what's on the machine... especially if their some odd ball ones you might post up pics of the ones on the machine along with measurements...

One thing I'd definitely do is check and reset the thumb pressure relief to <2500 (or less)to match that cylinder as the machine can do >3500PSI
    Ah, I'll definitely have to look at that. I tend to run machines until the pressure relief kicks in...I mean that's how you find the max lift capacity right?
    I don't know where that pressure adjustment is, but it should be something that can be found with a little looking around.

For that setup you can probably use standard ag type 1/2" pioneer couplers. Is the machine pre-plumbed? I like to stay away from pipe threads for that stuff and use O-ring boss fittings on the hose ends that connect to the coupler halves. If you do go pipe threads, Loctite 567 pipe sealer is the stuff. I've used it on drill rigs that had some heavy pressure spikes and it holds up well and you can still unscrew the fittings.
    It is pre-plumbed and I'll have to get sweetie to send me some pics, it's up at her place.
    The regular pipe dope I use does not seem to be good with high pressure.
    It didn't even seal the pressure washer wand handle - getting soaked is irritating....

Quote Originally Posted by BluCllrPlt View Post
    Can’t help with the connectors but wanted to comment that you’ll wonder how you ever did without the thumb. I’ve had them on excavators and have one now on my Kubota backhoe.
    I bet you're right. Only used it a few days and was irritated by not having one...
    Heck, after a couple days I wonder how I got along all these years without the excavator... LOL
    Every time I fire it up it saves me hours (or days) of work with my old tractor and hand tools.

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Agree.
    Kubota uses them (along with a quick disconnect gizmo)

leaked like crazy...

removed quik disconn. and replaced them with 4 individual pioneers... PERFECT !
    I looked up 1/2" pioneers, they look to be cheaper to buy all 4 parts than it will be to buy just the 2 ends I need.
    I wonder if the ends of the pre-plumbed pipes are just NPT or some weird o-ring connection.
    Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 11-11-2020 at 11:17 AM.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

15. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_20201111_115011255.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  121.3 KB. This is the best stuff I've ever used for pipe threads. Even on angled fittings that you can't always get tight enough it never fails to seal. Pretty pricey but it's a one and done deal.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

17. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The permatex # is 5454O , which works equally as well.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

19. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post

I looked up 1/2" pioneers, they look to be cheaper to buy all 4 parts than it will be to buy just the 2 ends I need.
    I wonder if the ends of the pre-plumbed pipes are just NPT or some weird o-ring connection.
    If you have a Parker store nearby, They will have anything you need.

my pioneers were 1/4 NPT same as snow plow stuff... I had to also get adapters to go to Flare fittings...

yours may be diff sizes, but Parker will have it.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  281.3 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  301.0 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  370.7 KB
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

21. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny though... Out back, the backhoe fittings are flat faced and they work fine....
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

All, and I mean ALL my hydraulic threaded connections get the Teflon Tape treatment. Because...............ya might wanna take them apart one day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    all, and i mean all my hydraulic threaded connections get the teflon tape treatment. Because...............ya might wanna take them apart one day.
    why????

Post Thanks / Like

Tape can get a bad rap because of faulty installation procedures. 4-5 wraps, and tighten her down WITH LESS THAN A 6 FOOT BREAKER BAR Make sure you wrap the tape in the opposite direction of the thread. A taped joint doesn't require excessive torque to seal perfectly.

26. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

why????

I can hardly count the number of times I've dealt with an old piece of equipment that the previous owner had slobbered pipe dope on the threads. Takes an Act of God to get it loose

28. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Might I want to get this apart sometime in the future?

Name:  cylinders26.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  621.6 KB You betchaName:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Views: 369
Size:  1.1 KB I put it together 20yrs ago with tape, and it was a snap to get it apart again for the rebuild. Plus, ya don't have all that hardened crud floating around in your cylinder from the pipe dope that ya slathered on the threads.

30. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pro tip: If you leave them a bit loose the oil leak will prevent the threads from seizing

32. Likes Lis2323, 12V71, MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pro tip: If you leave them a bit loose the oil leak will prevent the threads from seizing

ROFL

34. Likes ronsii, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup. HATE HATE HATE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

36. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also good for finding your way home from
    deep in the woods. Much better than bread crumbs if there are birds around.

Oops sorry Dave. My vote would be no couplers unless you plan on other attachments.

:

38. Likes 12V71, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I can hardly count the number of times I've dealt with an old piece of equipment that the previous owner had slobbered pipe dope on the threads. Takes an Act of God to get it loose
    And I can hardly count the number of times I've had to trace out a sliver of tape plugging a tiny orifice that's keeping a quarter million dollar piece of equipment from working. Most good sealers will dissolve in the system and not cause a problem. Most every hydraulics manual for Caterpillar, etc. says DO NOT USE TAPE. I been there and seen that.
    Rebuilt a very expensive Cat loader transmission over a plugged .030 orifice, it wasn't getting full clutch engagement pressure and we all know what that leads to. Stupid part was that some idiot used tape on a bunch of O-ring boss fitting that didn't even need it.

40. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And I can hardly count the number of times I've had to trace out a sliver of tape plugging a tiny orifice that's keeping a quarter million dollar piece of equipment from working. Most good sealers will dissolve in the system and not cause a problem. Most every hydraulics manual for Caterpillar, etc. says DO NOT USE TAPE. I been there and seen that.
    Rebuilt a very expensive Cat loader transmission over a plugged .030 orifice, it wasn't getting full clutch engagement pressure and we all know what that leads to. Stupid part was that some idiot used tape on a bunch of O-ring boss fitting that didn't even need it.
    The trick is to wind the tape short of the end of the thread so that it pushes back up the thread as it's tightened. I guess I've been lucky.

Dunno why anybody would use tape on ORB fittings (shrug) it's only for NPT stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Yup. HATE HATE HATE

I have a couple of customers with New Holland telehandlers with those things for attachments up front, hay squeeze/spears with grapples. When their guys go to change attachments they tend to beat on the sleeves to uncouple them because there is no way to relieve the trapped pressure in the lines. I've showed them how to crack a swivel fitting and just release a few drops of oil but I guess caveman tactics work better. Or even better they get out Mr. screwdriver and try to beat on the center pin (that doesn't move) and nick everything up.

43. Likes ronsii liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist