Thread: Design Help!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Design Help!!!!!

Ok people my high school welding program re-doing a welding bed and we need some ideas. The first thing up is lead storage. My original idea was to keep the 3 wells as pictured 1 for ground, 1 for lead, and one for extension cord, but these things are only 8-1/2" diameter. Can any one give me an idea with the space pictured of how I could better utilize that space to do my lead and cord storage? I would like to be able to enclose/lock the leads when not in use if at all possible. Thanks in advance.... DaleName:  20190219_095015.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  72.0 KBName:  20190219_095023.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  103.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Design Help!!!!!

I will give some general statements that are hopefully helpful.

In most cases, lead and grounds are used as the same now. Meaning the 50ft or 100ft runs of cable have quick disconnects on each end. Then you have your stinger which will be only 5-10ft long with a quick disconnect and same with ground clamp. In other words, you can probably use one compartment for your long runs of lead/ground with short 5ft lengths for stinger/ground thrown in with them on top.

Im a big fan of reels for both gas and extension cords. Easy in and easy out!

Where are you storing your bottles if you are going to utilize the holes for leads?

Do you have a compartment for hand tools, grinders, torches, regulators?
    Welding --- My paid hobby!

Post Thanks / Like

that was making me lean to look at it

Name:  20190219_095015.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  94.4 KBName:  20190219_095023.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  134.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the guys I see around here stack the O2 bottles horizontally either behind the cab, or behind the welder. The Acetylene bottles are in a fully side accessible slide in pocket which holds them upright. Looks to be a very good common sense setup. Nobody in their right minds wants to have to lift bottles, and put them in a pocket like on that bed you got there.

Post Thanks / Like

Cut the top off and make it a two well box.

Post Thanks / Like

Bottles are stored horizontal in front of the welding machine with one vertical slot for acetylene on the other side. And yes I have all of the other compartments covered.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    Cut the top off and make it a two well box.
    I second the motion.
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I was under the impression for the leads to roll up in a "functional/orderly" manner they needed to be in a cylindrical structure am I wrong in thinking this?

Post Thanks / Like

Most guys including myself run reels for the leads now. I do keep spares or large gauge wrapped up underneath which are wrapped around two pieces of angle. A bar comes down over the top to lock in place.
    Welding --- My paid hobby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dacker View Post
    Ok I was under the impression for the leads to roll up in a "functional/orderly" manner they needed to be in a cylindrical structure am I wrong in thinking this?
    Once you put them in there a couple hundred times, functional and orderly will no longer be much of a priority. Piling leads up in a well is hard work.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

see post 10

Post Thanks / Like

Id cut it open and put some reels in it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Walker.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright guys that's what we've decided to do. We're capping the 3 holes, putting a fold down door on the side with Reels behind it. So this brings another question. What is best option for locking latches for that as well as the clam shell type lids for the tool boxes on the boxes up top?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok got the 3 holes capped now time to cut the door in put a latch on it. What do you guys like to run for latches on your tool box doors? That would be for this box as well as the top 2 chest type boxes. Any ideas on best way to do fold down door would be appreciated too. Thanks again Dale

Post Thanks / Like

dacker, I like what your doing. As mentioned, old dudes don't like lifting big oxy tanks in to vertical holder and horizontal mount is except able imo. My suggestion , keep doing what your doing. Second, make space fore a built in ramp to load heavy tanks for old teachers or girls and weaklings. Kidding. Ramp is on my list but secret hidden compartments to hold key's wallet plus shot gun. Shotgun would wave its own compartment tho. Just my suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

Dacker:

Northern Tool has several choices for latches. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...uyers-products

Probably several sources on the internet, but I used a couple of those to rebuild a tool box I repurposed for a fuel storage locker.
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

Post Thanks / Like

Alright so we're ready to cut the drop down door in this box for the lead Reels to sit behind. Obviously there will have to be some type of framing and a waterproofing seal to go around the door. So where I'm at now is lay the door out an cut it with a metabo then not real sure on the best way to go from there. Any ideas or tutorials on making doors for boxes out there? Name:  20190313_074537.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  98.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I think you shouldn't have plated that side of the box. It would have been better to frame that side with angle and had the door recessed into the angle. Not only is it easy to build but water tight and much harder to pry open by a thief. You can see by the shadows that these doors are recessed back into the angle.
    Attached Images Attached Images