+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Cheaper Plasma Cutters

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cheaper Plasma Cutters

ahhh ok gotcha tony, good info though, i am just not familiar so was wondering, i see that unit i was looking at from amico sells an IGBT and MOSFET version of the same machine Hmmmmm i wonder what that means?

if you go to the their website they have either - same price as well

I hate selling things too but my shop is small and i need space and its only for me to fix stuff my dad or i break or the neighbor or friends, i have a day job but i help dad and friends take care of their property as well as my own so i have ample opportunity to use things just not as a business nor on a daily basis. I am thankful for folks on here that have such knowledge and I totally get the buy it once and forget it, i have that for things that are a must adn get used regularly but for the occassional things i have to draw a line somewhere. I wish i had the $$ for the good stuff ALL the time but just can swing it nor justify it sometimes.

So now i have to figure out if mosfet or igbt is better lol, maybe the newer mosfets are advanced because everything i read swings on the igbt side since we moved from the transformers yrs ago.

maybe i need to buy two LOL like you and see which on breaks first problem is, no more than i use them it might be a while

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you have an opened mind If you pay 500.00 for a cutter. Treat it like a 500.00 unit. You may come out ahead. When you are done with it and put it away for a month or 2 you will not feel bad about it sitting. But go out and spend 2 or 3 grand for a unit and it just sitting there That would hurt.Before I retired i did nothing but trim work and specialized in crown molding that nobody else wanted to touch .So I went and bought a Festool Miter saw that cost me 1600.00.As soon as I retired I sold that saw I could not see that much money sittig around not making money. Now I do craft wood working and use a smaller cheaper saw that was collecting dust.but it is not being used 8 hrs. a day everyday.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't read anything good about the Amico so I passed on it. I finally just bought one at HF. They lowered the price from $664 to $599. I talked the guy into taking another 30% off. Of course he wouldn't admit it's lower end. He says everything is made in China now and his Vulcans are made by a Lincoln guy. I don't know anything about that so I had no argument. The unit itself doesn't feel cheap though. haven't had time to try it out yet, but it has an Ipt-40 torch and consumables are everywhere. I also found drag tips for it online so I'll give those a try. He wouldn't match Primecut cuz he said he didn't know that brand which I don't believe. Either way the price was very close and I was able to take it home from a real store rather than order it online. If it doesn't work I have 90 days, but the reviews and videos I saw seemed pretty good. I'm not gonna give it heavy use so I think it will be good enough. I plan on getting it up and running this week. Just been too busy working.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you have good luck with your hf unit, one thing i didnt like about the hf one was the lack of 110 if i needed to be mobile for some small stuff, another was that its 40amps not 50 I want the extra 10. I still havent talked myself into one vs my O/A torch but i think i would like it and use it a lot compared to my torch its just hard to justify when i have a hacksaw, O/A torch, Chop Saw. I have options the only thing i was wanting the P/C for was mobility and not have to drag the heavy torch around although i still have to lug around a generator to run the P/C. Sounds like that H/F was a great deal and will be a good suit for you john let us now how you like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slipjohn1 View Post
    I didn't read anything good about the Amico so I passed on it. I finally just bought one at HF. They lowered the price from $664 to $599. I talked the guy into taking another 30% off. Of course he wouldn't admit it's lower end. He says everything is made in China now and his Vulcans are made by a Lincoln guy. I don't know anything about that so I had no argument. The unit itself doesn't feel cheap though. haven't had time to try it out yet, but it has an Ipt-40 torch and consumables are everywhere. I also found drag tips for it online so I'll give those a try. He wouldn't match Primecut cuz he said he didn't know that brand which I don't believe. Either way the price was very close and I was able to take it home from a real store rather than order it online. If it doesn't work I have 90 days, but the reviews and videos I saw seemed pretty good. I'm not gonna give it heavy use so I think it will be good enough. I plan on getting it up and running this week. Just been too busy working.
    Think you made a good move Like you said buying from a bricks and mortar store anything happens bring it back.And the consumables are a big plus.Also invest in a descadent filter either inline or compresser mount.It will pay for it self just in the life of the consumables.Not to mention the unit it self

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone used the primeweld cut60 on a plasma table yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by searcyfarms View Post
    I hope you have good luck with your hf unit, one thing i didnt like about the hf one was the lack of 110 if i needed to be mobile for some small stuff, another was that its 40amps not 50 I want the extra 10. I still havent talked myself into one vs my O/A torch but i think i would like it and use it a lot compared to my torch its just hard to justify when i have a hacksaw, O/A torch, Chop Saw. I have options the only thing i was wanting the P/C for was mobility and not have to drag the heavy torch around although i still have to lug around a generator to run the P/C. Sounds like that H/F was a great deal and will be a good suit for you john let us now how you like it.
    If you're happy using your arm with a hacksaw then that works but I like power. I had a plasma cutter before and I haven't used oxy since. Oxy is fine if no electricity is available, but I wouldn't choose it over plasma. 40 amps is plenty for me. I mostly use 1/8-1/4 for the crap I make so I think it will be fine. I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Been real busy and it's been real cold here. I haven't done too much outside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonylumps View Post
    Think you made a good move Like you said buying from a bricks and mortar store anything happens bring it back.And the consumables are a big plus.Also invest in a descadent filter either inline or compresser mount.It will pay for it self just in the life of the consumables.Not to mention the unit it self
    I have the filter mounted on my compressor. I will also put a small filter on the back of the unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so I FINALLY tried out this plasma cutter. It works!! It actually cut pretty good. It was a quick test, but it cut pretty nice. My compressor was broken so had to fix that first. Tried it out today real quick and it works ok. It was just some 1/8" nothing too heavy, but I think it will be fine. They even give you this little tube to test your air flow to make sure it's optimal. Once I have some time I'll put it to more use.

Post Thanks / Like

Slip have you had time to give your cutter more of a workout?

Post Thanks / Like

Just throwing in my 2 cents ... I have a small shop in my garage at the moment... trying to get three kids through college for the next 2 years so my budget is a little tight at the moment.. I need a plasma cutter a few times a month and like you, I cannot afford the Hypertherm... I purchased a Everlast Supercut 51P and it works great! ... I ended up damaging mine by imputing to high a air pressure.. .I called Everlast and the support person their worked with me for about 30 minutes, he was very patient and respectful on the phone and we diagnosed it to over pressure. I purchased the replacement parts, they arrive within the week, I installed them and set the correct operating pressure on my compressor... Now, the machine works as expected!! For my limited use I can tell you this machine for the money works great. If I were in a production shop... then it may not... I just don't know.
    The support was great and I like the machine... it works as advertised!!

Have a nice weekend!
    Kell
    Kell in Florida

Everlast Powertig 200
    Everlast Supercut 51P Plasma
    Everlast PowerARC 161 STH

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC - 1984

"I don’t care that they stole my idea … I care that they don’t have any of their own."

Post Thanks / Like

What air pressure did they recommend?

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin on utube shows an everlast plasma setup and use.

At 6 minutes into video, demonstrates, different air pressures.

I use 50 PSI on my primeweld

bought it as my older plasma cutter, did not have pilot start, and torch was junk.

changed out dense receptable for 14 mm...fits my welding cables

its multipurpose...arc, tig, also, could purchase a pedal for tig.

just use it for plasma...nice to have extra junk...I think..

front of welder
    Name:  plasma front.JPG
Views: 654
Size:  162.0 KB

back of welder
    Name:  plasma back.JPG
Views: 653
Size:  172.5 KB

very reasonable price

Charl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by In Utopia View Post
    What air pressure did they recommend?
    They recommend no more than 90 psi.. I was not paying attention and was in a hurry one day... connected the shop air hose and did not realize it was set to 120 psi... machine worked for about 30 seconds.
    Any how... My mistake and no big deal... paid for the repair and machine works great!

Kell
    Kell in Florida

Everlast Powertig 200
    Everlast Supercut 51P Plasma
    Everlast PowerARC 161 STH

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC - 1984

"I don’t care that they stole my idea … I care that they don’t have any of their own."

Post Thanks / Like

i think my hypertherm calls for about 90ish, i keep the regulator dialed to 90 but i have my regulator on my quincy set to 110 for my air tools to keep them at around 90to 100 when i pull the trigger on them as the regulator pressure drops about 10 to 12 lbs when u pull the trigger on my impact
    Lincoln AC 225 - S
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 ( 1980 )
    Oxy/Acet Victor Gauges/Purox Torch
    Hypertherm Powermax 800
    Miller Digital Elite US Flag

Post Thanks / Like

I have been looking at reasonably priced combos. Right now I have a Lincoln Idealarc 250/250 AC/DC with a hifreq box and a torch for stick and tig, no plasma, no O/A, just jigsaws, sawzalls and a horizontal BS.
    We are working on moving so weight is a concern. I needed to find something inexpensive and reliable enough to live a couple years for me to sell the Lincoln, move, set up shop, and find another good welder. I just picked up a Hyperikon, which seems to be the same as the Primeweld.

https://www.hyperikon.com/all-produc...t-arc-40a-50a/

Ag-60 pilot arc torch, hf on the tig and the ability to use a pedal. 3 year "unconditional" warranty. I did some research on the company- they've been around since 2010 as an importer and seller of LED lights and some light tools. This seems to be their first foray into welders, but every review I read said their customer service and standing by their products in general is second to none by and large, so I pulled the trigger. Free shipping, 15% off coupon (WELCOME15) and tax for being in Cali got me OTD at just under $440. It's coming in on Thursday so I'll do some testing and report back next week. Not a very fair comparison, but I'll report how it compares to the tombstone as well as a basic review from a total newbie on plasma. It may be an alternative for folks looking for the Primeweld- they seem to be out of stock on Amazon and their own website, at least for now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix02 View Post
    I have been looking at reasonably priced combos. Right now I have a Lincoln Idealarc 250/250 AC/DC with a hifreq box and a torch for stick and tig, no plasma, no O/A, just jigsaws, sawzalls and a horizontal BS.
    We are working on moving so weight is a concern. I needed to find something inexpensive and reliable enough to live a couple years for me to sell the Lincoln, move, set up shop, and find another good welder. I just picked up a Hyperikon, which seems to be the same as the Primeweld.

https://www.hyperikon.com/all-produc...t-arc-40a-50a/

Ag-60 pilot arc torch, hf on the tig and the ability to use a pedal. 3 year "unconditional" warranty. I did some research on the company- they've been around since 2010 as an importer and seller of LED lights and some light tools. This seems to be their first foray into welders, but every review I read said their customer service and standing by their products in general is second to none by and large, so I pulled the trigger. Free shipping, 15% off coupon (WELCOME15) and tax for being in Cali got me OTD at just under $440. It's coming in on Thursday so I'll do some testing and report back next week. Not a very fair comparison, but I'll report how it compares to the tombstone as well as a basic review from a total newbie on plasma. It may be an alternative for folks looking for the Primeweld- they seem to be out of stock on Amazon and their own website, at least for now.

It basically looks just like the Primeweld. I'm guessing it's the exact same factory! Let us know how it works

Post Thanks / Like

Well I pulled the plug on a Primeweld Cut60 today. Should be here in 4 to 5 days. Just too good of a deal to pass up. Thanks to all the people who answered my questions about this plasma cutter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arcflash View Post
    Well I pulled the plug on a Primeweld Cut60 today. Should be here in 4 to 5 days. Just too good of a deal to pass up. Thanks to all the people who answered my questions about this plasma cutter.
    I like mine. I've used it on plate as thick as 3/4" and it's worked fine. The big factor is enough air supply. All the cutting power in the world is worthless without enough air. I have a decent 2HP compressor, but added two emptied-out 100 pounder propane tanks to the circuit to increase my air storage capacity. Obviously, you don't need it for thinner material, but you do for anything above 1/4" plate, depending on the length of the cut. Overall, I'm happy with it. What sold me was the company paying the freight charges, BOTH WAYS, for any warranty work. A warranty is worthless if you have to pay shipping to have the work done. IMHO, Primeweld has the best warranty in the business, though the newer Harbor Freight offerings look pretty good, but I don't know if they are offering a plasma cutter, and their warranty is for only 1 year.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Air is a HUGE part of the plasma game. They don't like to tell you about that because your Hyper is useless without a REAL compressor and a dry system.My ABAC 3 hp 100 liter could do it(220V) but it was rough on it. My Puma 5/80 breezes but runs constant when cutting constant. My other shop has a 7.5/120 3 phase Atlas and with a 65 HT barely knows it's on(table cutter)

Post Thanks / Like

You can get by with a smaller compressor, but it takes considerable storage capacity. And, it takes that smaller compressor a lot of time to bring that storage to full pressure. I'm going to add another 100lb'er to my storage, with valves to allow only using the storage I need at the time. No sense charging 15 cu ft. of storage to fill a bicycle tire...LOL
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Update to old thread. The harbor Freight Plasma cutter is garbage! When I bought it I tried it out and it worked fine. I never got to any of my projects until now. I set it up and it doesn't work. It's brand new, it's never been used except when I tried it out. I tried to use it today and it gets an arc for a few seconds then just cuts out. Post air flows and that's it. Once the air stops I can get the arc again for a few seconds and then it stops. This is whether I'm cutting or just holding the torch in the air. I adjusted the air according to manual and tried adjusting it up and down all with the same problem, nothing helped. Of course I'm way out of warranty so I'm stuck with this paper weight. Anyway, just thought I'd let others know not to buy it. I read decent reviews for what this is and people seemed happy with it. I'm not happy at all. I have no idea what's wrong with it and I'm not spending money to have it fixed when it should work. I guess that's why it's not on their site anymore, they know it's terrible. Just thought I'd share. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Is your ground(work cable) connected well(electrically) to what you're trying to cut?
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    Is your ground(work cable) connected well(electrically) to what you're trying to cut?
    It’s a very good chance this ^^^ is your problem.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Ground isn't the issue. I tried that first. I'm cutting a new piece of metal and made sure ground was clean. I tried to ground it several ways. The arc should stay lit regardless, it's a pilot arc. I should be able to hold it in the air and still get the arc whether I'm cutting or not. When I first bought this it worked fine. I haven't used it since I tried it and it has been put away and covered. I tried more and less air and that did no good. it's like something is just shutting off. Maybe something inside? It is Chicago Electric. I guess that was my first mistake. LOL

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist