Thread: Welding helmet light

Post Thanks / Like

Welding helmet light

For those of us getting older(better), anybody tried attaching a lightweight LED light to their helmet? I use a cheater lens, or glasses, wondering if having a small light to point on where you are working would make a difference in seeing what you are welding. I know they make small, very lightweight lights, LED light batteries last a long time, etc..... I'm gonna try and see if it works. Gotta be better than moving a spotlight, extension cord, etc

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding helmet light

Quote Originally Posted by ljdm View Post
    For those of us getting older(better), anybody tried attaching a lightweight LED light to their helmet? I use a cheater lens, or glasses, wondering if having a small light to point on where you are working would make a difference in seeing what you are welding. I know they make small, very lightweight lights, LED light batteries last a long time, etc..... I'm gonna try and see if it works. Gotta be better than moving a spotlight, extension cord, etc
    Maybe try one of those headband lights on the helmet? I get it about getting older, glasses etc. I used the cheaters, the magnifiers but it was a nuisance having to put on my regular glasses after I raised the helmet. I eventually learned to see the weld with my bifocals and only once in a while I end up at some weird angle, but I manage.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    Maybe try one of those headband lights on the helmet? I get it about getting older, glasses etc. I used the cheaters, the magnifiers but it was a nuisance having to put on my regular glasses after I raised the helmet. I eventually learned to see the weld with my bifocals and only once in a while I end up at some weird angle, but I manage.
    With me, it's a combination of bad vision,plus needing extra light. Headband light, duct tape a light, whatever it takes! Tigging Al isn't as bad as steel though. Fluxcore, feels like I'm running blind, smoke and splatter. Golden Years, my ***!

Post Thanks / Like

Iíve seen lights on amazon that look like they would work.

Check(welding helmet light)
    Last edited by Bls repair; 02-22-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it I put 2 on my helmet .Did not work So I went and bought the brightest led light bulbs I could find .One Directly over head and one on the stand.Put a cover on the back of the helmet so it does not reflect light .Than I went and bought a new helmet.The new helmet has an extra that attaches to the back for reflection. the Ambient light did the trick and I never looked back I know it was a lot of money But I ended up with the Optrel Panaramax.With the auto shade and the grind button on the outside, it works.I am 76 YO so I needed all the light . .But the ambient light is the trick.My wife comes down to the shop with sunglasses on.And I am not even welding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonylumps View Post
    I tried it I put 2 on my helmet .Did not work So I went and bought the brightest led light bulbs I could find .One Directly over head and one on the stand.Put a cover on the back of the helmet so it does not reflect light .Than I went and bought a new helmet.The new helmet has an extra that attaches to the back for reflection. the Ambient light did the trick and I never looked back I know it was a lot of money But I ended up with the Optrel Panaramax.With the auto shade and the grind button on the outside, it works.I am 76 YO so I needed all the light . .But the ambient light is the trick.My wife comes down to the shop with sunglasses on.And I am not even welding.
    You use the "Grind" setting on the helmet? Seems like it would want to kinda flash you somewhat.

Post Thanks / Like

No it is just easier than raising it.With the Panaramax it fits around your face and it just feels natural when it is down. Your face is so close to the front and the perifial vision is like your not wearing one at all.I find I am raising my helmet less And when done I take it off It is hard to explain unless you use one for a while.I have so much Ambient light that the auto dark kicks in and thats when i hit the grind button.It is next to the left adjuster

Post Thanks / Like

Welding helmet light

Last edited by John T; 02-23-2019 at 10:04 AM.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Miller has a little for their helmet. It was free with purchase of their Clearlight hood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post

what a great idea for old guys like me.. I need light too and a new set of young eyes.....
    Can you tell me what brand that light is ?
    When i grow up i want to be a welder

PRIMEWELD TIG225ACDCP
    Millermatic 215
    Everlast PowerPlasma 50
    oxy/ac
    Not enough talent to use any of it very well

Post Thanks / Like

It's coastportland he put a link to their website at the bottom of his post. I'd like to know which one he got and how he attached it to his helmet.
    Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    Lincoln SquareWave Tig 200
    Miller Spectrum 125c
    Oxy/Acetylene
    Optrel e684, Lincoln 3350, Speedglas 9100xx, Klutch 800 Series
    Lathe and Milling Machines

Post Thanks / Like

not sure the model #
    attached with 3M VHB tape
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

I did the same but put the light below my lens, on the chin section to minimize shadows. It kinda worked but I need more with low amperage settings.