Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Welding helmet light

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    East Durham, NY
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Welding helmet light

    For those of us getting older(better), anybody tried attaching a lightweight LED light to their helmet? I use a cheater lens, or glasses, wondering if having a small light to point on where you are working would make a difference in seeing what you are welding. I know they make small, very lightweight lights, LED light batteries last a long time, etc..... I'm gonna try and see if it works. Gotta be better than moving a spotlight, extension cord, etc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern CT
    Posts
    726
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding helmet light

    Quote Originally Posted by ljdm View Post
    For those of us getting older(better), anybody tried attaching a lightweight LED light to their helmet? I use a cheater lens, or glasses, wondering if having a small light to point on where you are working would make a difference in seeing what you are welding. I know they make small, very lightweight lights, LED light batteries last a long time, etc..... I'm gonna try and see if it works. Gotta be better than moving a spotlight, extension cord, etc
    Maybe try one of those headband lights on the helmet? I get it about getting older, glasses etc. I used the cheaters, the magnifiers but it was a nuisance having to put on my regular glasses after I raised the helmet. I eventually learned to see the weld with my bifocals and only once in a while I end up at some weird angle, but I manage.
    Ernie F.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    East Durham, NY
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding helmet light

    Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    Maybe try one of those headband lights on the helmet? I get it about getting older, glasses etc. I used the cheaters, the magnifiers but it was a nuisance having to put on my regular glasses after I raised the helmet. I eventually learned to see the weld with my bifocals and only once in a while I end up at some weird angle, but I manage.
    With me, it's a combination of bad vision,plus needing extra light. Headband light, duct tape a light, whatever it takes! Tigging Al isn't as bad as steel though. Fluxcore, feels like I'm running blind, smoke and splatter. Golden Years, my ***!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    SE Pa
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding helmet light

    Iíve seen lights on amazon that look like they would work.



    Check(welding helmet light)
    Last edited by Bls repair; 02-22-2019 at 11:04 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Newtown sq pa
    Posts
    152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding helmet light

    I tried it I put 2 on my helmet .Did not work So I went and bought the brightest led light bulbs I could find .One Directly over head and one on the stand.Put a cover on the back of the helmet so it does not reflect light .Than I went and bought a new helmet.The new helmet has an extra that attaches to the back for reflection. the Ambient light did the trick and I never looked back I know it was a lot of money But I ended up with the Optrel Panaramax.With the auto shade and the grind button on the outside, it works.I am 76 YO so I needed all the light . .But the ambient light is the trick.My wife comes down to the shop with sunglasses on.And I am not even welding.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    East Durham, NY
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding helmet light

    Quote Originally Posted by tonylumps View Post
    I tried it I put 2 on my helmet .Did not work So I went and bought the brightest led light bulbs I could find .One Directly over head and one on the stand.Put a cover on the back of the helmet so it does not reflect light .Than I went and bought a new helmet.The new helmet has an extra that attaches to the back for reflection. the Ambient light did the trick and I never looked back I know it was a lot of money But I ended up with the Optrel Panaramax.With the auto shade and the grind button on the outside, it works.I am 76 YO so I needed all the light . .But the ambient light is the trick.My wife comes down to the shop with sunglasses on.And I am not even welding.
    You use the "Grind" setting on the helmet? Seems like it would want to kinda flash you somewhat.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Newtown sq pa
    Posts
    152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding helmet light

    No it is just easier than raising it.With the Panaramax it fits around your face and it just feels natural when it is down. Your face is so close to the front and the perifial vision is like your not wearing one at all.I find I am raising my helmet less And when done I take it off It is hard to explain unless you use one for a while.I have so much Ambient light that the auto dark kicks in and thats when i hit the grind button.It is next to the left adjuster

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Under a Rock
    Posts
    5,634
    Post Thanks / Like

    Welding helmet light

    Last edited by John T; 02-23-2019 at 10:04 AM.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221


    True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,472
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding helmet light

    Miller has a little for their helmet. It was free with purchase of their Clearlight hood.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Florida aka The Gunshine State :)
    Posts
    368
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding helmet light

    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post



    what a great idea for old guys like me.. I need light too and a new set of young eyes.....
    Can you tell me what brand that light is ?
    When i grow up i want to be a welder

    PRIMEWELD TIG225ACDCP
    Millermatic 215
    Everlast PowerPlasma 50
    oxy/ac
    Not enough talent to use any of it very well

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding helmet light

    It's coastportland he put a link to their website at the bottom of his post. I'd like to know which one he got and how he attached it to his helmet.
    Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    Lincoln SquareWave Tig 200
    Miller Spectrum 125c
    Oxy/Acetylene
    Optrel e684, Lincoln 3350, Speedglas 9100xx, Klutch 800 Series
    Lathe and Milling Machines

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Under a Rock
    Posts
    5,634
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding helmet light

    not sure the model #
    attached with 3M VHB tape
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221


    True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Shenandoah Valley. VA
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding helmet light

    I did the same but put the light below my lens, on the chin section to minimize shadows. It kinda worked but I need more with low amperage settings.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,607,056,889.72989 seconds with 14 queries