Thread: Plasma Torch type..ATC or RPT

Post Thanks / Like

Plasma Torch type..ATC or RPT

I thinking of buying a Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma cutter. It looks like you can either get it with an ATC or RPT type torch. Does anyone have an opinion about which they would get and why? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plasma Torch type..ATC or RPT

Link on the RPT machine.. Never seen one.. I bet you can only get the 60i with the ATC connection. Part # of the RPT machine would help,, If you want to add length,have the torch removable from the machine, use a SL-40 torch, and a SL-100SV torch then a ATC is what you want..
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered (Beast)
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mccorb View Post
    I thinking of buying a Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma cutter. It looks like you can either get it with an ATC or RPT type torch. Does anyone have an opinion about which they would get and why? Thanks.
    I think you mean a SL, MC or RPT style torch. The ATC is how you connect the torch to the plasma cutter. The SL are the Thermal Dynamics torch,s. The MC are the Radnor (Airgas) torch's. The RPT are the TEC.MO torch's.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

mccorb Can you provide links to the 60i with both options of torches.?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I figured it out. There is a RPC but it is not a torch but rather a torch pendant type trigger to operate the torch manually so you can have a torch in use on a table or cutting tracks and start and stop the torch cutting by sqweezing the trigger on the RPC pendant.

see pic below:

Name:  7AFE0A27-5353-4AE0-96A4-6D5D485377E9.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  120.8 KB
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 03-15-2019 at 12:17 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Was just looking on ESAB's website and all I can see them listed with are QD torches aka TD's ATC connections. Like Brand X said, you'd definitely want the quick disconnect, makes swapping, extending, or working on your torch a whole lot easier.

Just watched the video, ESAB has one-upped TD's ATC feature by designing the torch so you can completely disconnect the entire torch head and handle assy by simply unscrewing it from the cable. Sweet
    Last edited by AGW; 03-15-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the link...

https://mam.esab.com/assets/1/BDBA5C...et_Main-01.pdf

So once you figure things out, explain it to me please. I've never had a plasma so I don't know what's important so far as torches.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I am blind as I see no reference to a RPT type torch in that link.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

So once you figure things out, explain it to me please. I've never had a plasma so I don't know what's important so far as torches.
    Name:  TD60i.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  43.5 KB

The only "choice" you have in the torch is whether you want a 20' or 50' torch. They both have a 75* head. The only "choice" you have with the plasma is whether you want a single phase or 3 phase power supply. Assuming you're going to be hand cutting. All are quick disconnect torches.