+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $200 new mini dewalt grinder review - DWE43244N = JUNK/JOKE/TRASH

Post Thanks / Like

$200 new mini dewalt grinder review - DWE43244N = JUNK/JOKE/TRASH

title saws it, "don't make the mistake of buying it". loaded w/ to many bs safety features to get any work done. i put it back in the box to bring back . the thing is a hoax

Post Thanks / Like

Re: $200 new mini dewalt grinder review - DWE43244N = JUNK/JOKE/TRASH

The electronic Kickback Brake engages when a pinch, stall, or bind-up event is sensed, engaging with maximum force to quickly stop the wheel, reduce the movement of the grinder, and shut the motor off

POWER-LOSS RESET® - The ON/OFF trigger switch has a no-volt release function. In the event of a power outage or other unexpected shut down, the trigger switch will need to be cycled (turned off and then on) to restart tool.

2-stage trigger requires two actions to activate tool

sounds like the safety police worked double time on this one...
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

The only one of those that will cause any trouble is the flipper in the paddle. It's just held in with a roll pin...
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

Best to grab that little flipper with a linemans and give er' a twist

Post Thanks / Like

Who pays $200 for a Dewalt mini grinder...or ANY grinder except a Metabo?

Post Thanks / Like

Fella at work got one. Didn't realize the other crap besides the safety flipper which like ronsil said would be gone in a second. $200, not a chance in he77 I'd be paying that for a piece of crap, maybe $40-$50....maybe..........Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't mind the brake feature when the thing is shut down. How many of y'all have had a spinning wheel hit something when you set the grinder down?? More than wanna admit it I bet

How many have had an old style grinder accidently have the slide switch "On", and plugged it in? Or have the grinder get away from you, and chase ya around till it pulls out of the plug? Nasty nasty stuff Paddle switch = safety.

I have one of the first gen 6" DeWalts with the auto shutdown (E clutch) when it's overloaded...……..works fine. Doesn't stop the wheel, but it shuts down. Handy when you bind a razor wheel.

The folks that don't like shutdown features are the guys that like to shove a grinder into the work. And they're the guys who keep the repair guys in business. Grinders aren't meant to be shoved in there. It's what the abrasive on the wheel is for Let the wheel do the cutting. Besides...…..shove it into the work too hard, and it glazes the wheel...……….which makes the mentally challenged figure that it's just gotta be shoved in harder

Do ya need all this crap...…………….No. But is it handy...…….Yeah. Get used to it, it's the future (shrug)

Price point is a little high. I think I paid somewhere around 160 back when the first gen came out. Very powerful, my go-to for beveling plate. Use a Sait soft bond wheel in the coarse grit...….fast cutting wheel.

One thing I see, that I don't like, is the extra deep guard...……...mine has a standard guard that's just deep enough to cover the wheel, not extend down BEYOND the wheel. That's a bad feature on the new one, far as I can see.
    Last edited by farmersammm; 03-23-2019 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added last paragraph

Post Thanks / Like

So the guys that know how to properly use a tool to get the job done now have to pay way more for a bunch of added complications that make jobs take longer to protect the idiots???? sounds like something that should only be sold in cali... after all it does have the p65 shiz on it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Bless you my son.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    So the guys that know how to properly use a tool to get the job done now have to pay way more for a bunch of added complications that make jobs take longer to protect the idiots???? sounds like something that should only be sold in cali... after all it does have the p65 shiz on it
    I suppose so, to some extent. In that respect, it does sorta suck.

I really like mine for hogging, was the only reason I bought it. 4 1/2 is too slow, and a honkin' 7" is too heavy. The 6" filled the gap, and can be used overhead without a lot of fatigue.

I guess mine's at about the 3rd year without any issues.

Name:  concrete mixer124-1.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  131.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of the 6” brushless dewalt grinders and like it. I had a 6” metabo that had the built in overload protection so I am used to it. The 6” dewalt still moves enough metal with a decent wheel on it. If I need to do anymore than that I can get out the old Milwaukee 9”
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Bless you my son.
    LOL!!!!!!

When I want to move some seroius metal I grab my 9 inch and go for it... yeah it's heavy but you don't have to hold it long to get the job done 20 times faster than any weenie grinder

I got a couple different 7 inch grinders for work and only used then a couple times to determine that the 5 inchers were better all around especially for cutting!!!

Post Thanks / Like

i grew up on the old tank metal gray cast bodied black n decker 9" and wrestled them around, we had them in our AG/Shop class and all of us abused them never saw one fail. I believe ( dont quote me tho ) that DeWalt bought the B&D rights on those and you can still get one in a plastic body. I believe they are pretty much built around that old design/specs but its not EVERY 9" they make. I have one but i cant remember the numbers on it and it seems very comparable to that B&D, a true beast, rip right out of your hand with power if you arent being careful. Run for hours grinding on things and no issues other than wear you out.

No guards on them back in that time, maybe someone removed them or not built with them at that time. They would take chunks out of your hide in an instant ( ask me how i know ) and locking the trigger was a sketchy compromise if you started getting tired or a little embellished on your grinding area.

Being a hobbyist, for the little grinders i get the cheapo $9.99 Harbor Freight units - keep one with a grinding wheel, one with a cutter wheel, one with a grinding pad. I have a 3" air cutter that gets used also so i have found for me the $9.99 ones are very much worth having. If you are running the motor down so much all the time that you are stalling or overheating it, you probably need a bigger tool for the job.

You can always put a bigger motor in anything ( binford 9000 oh oh oh ) but i dont like limiting myself to one tool. Again, all of you professionals dont mind me im just a farmer/hobby fixer as needed. I have yet to burn up a $9.99 HF Grinder and have had one of them for over 4 yrs. The other two just a couple yrs. I also have an old Chinese one that has a switch on the side and came with a set of brushes, noisy, crude and gets hot but keeps on going, gave 10 bucks for it in 1991. I dont even know where my neighbor got it, he came by one day said hey i bought these at a tool auction, want one i said how much he said 10 bucks..........ive got more than 10 bucks out of that thing for sure LOL.

I do know this, DeWalt and others make different models all the time around different specs changing minor things to save $$$ in manufacturing and support. Just like all industry, the specs can be built around a failure average on certain components so they know when they will fail. Most things ARE NOT overbuilt today. do you have a clothes dryer, washing machine or refrigerator that lasts 15 yrs now?

Safety and a litigious society have changed everything, have fun with that new Grinder!!! I wouldnt be surprised if one of these days they run time will be limited on them due to dangers of fatigue, carpel tunnel, or overworking an employee. Maybe i am being a little to facetious
    Lincoln AC 225 - S
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 ( 1980 )
    Oxy/Acet Victor Gauges/Purox Torch
    Hypertherm Powermax 800
    Miller Digital Elite US Flag

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by searcyfarms View Post
    i grew up on the old tank metal gray cast bodied black n decker 9" and wrestled them around, we had them in our AG/Shop class and all of us abused them never saw one fail. I believe ( dont quote me tho ) that DeWalt bought the B&D rights on those and you can still get one in a plastic body. I believe they are pretty much built around that old design/specs but its not EVERY 9" they make. I have one but i cant remember the numbers on it and it seems very comparable to that B&D, a true beast, rip right out of your hand with power if you arent being careful. Run for hours grinding on things and no issues other than wear you out.

No guards on them back in that time, maybe someone removed them or not built with them at that time. They would take chunks out of your hide in an instant ( ask me how i know ) and locking the trigger was a sketchy compromise if you started getting tired or a little embellished on your grinding area.

Being a hobbyist, for the little grinders i get the cheapo $9.99 Harbor Freight units - keep one with a grinding wheel, one with a cutter wheel, one with a grinding pad. I have a 3" air cutter that gets used also so i have found for me the $9.99 ones are very much worth having. If you are running the motor down so much all the time that you are stalling or overheating it, you probably need a bigger tool for the job.

You can always put a bigger motor in anything ( binford 9000 oh oh oh ) but i dont like limiting myself to one tool. Again, all of you professionals dont mind me im just a farmer/hobby fixer as needed. I have yet to burn up a $9.99 HF Grinder and have had one of them for over 4 yrs. The other two just a couple yrs. I also have an old Chinese one that has a switch on the side and came with a set of brushes, noisy, crude and gets hot but keeps on going, gave 10 bucks for it in 1991. I dont even know where my neighbor got it, he came by one day said hey i bought these at a tool auction, want one i said how much he said 10 bucks..........ive got more than 10 bucks out of that thing for sure LOL.

I do know this, DeWalt and others make different models all the time around different specs changing minor things to save $$$ in manufacturing and support. Just like all industry, the specs can be built around a failure average on certain components so they know when they will fail. Most things ARE NOT overbuilt today. do you have a clothes dryer, washing machine or refrigerator that lasts 15 yrs now?

Safety and a litigious society have changed everything, have fun with that new Grinder!!! I wouldnt be surprised if one of these days they run time will be limited on them due to dangers of fatigue, carpel tunnel, or overworking an employee. Maybe i am being a little to facetious
    I for one know you're not being too facetious All the idiots that want the nanny state to run 'their' lives and keep them safe from themselves keep voting for more of this BS!!! and then whine about things costing so much!!!!! and nothing lasts Geeeee... I wonder why...

I still have a few cheap import $10 grinders that work and a pile of em' that bit the dust most of the newer ones( more than $10) don't last me a day so I stopped buying them a few years ago and went with the DeWongs they still burn up now and then but not on the first day of use but I'll admit I use them a bit harder than your average hobbyist...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    How many have had an old style grinder accidently have the slide switch "On", and plugged it in?
    Not me...

Or have the grinder get away from you, and chase ya around till it pulls out of the plug?
    Not me...

Price point is a little high.
    "A little" More like "an order of magnitude." I think I'll wait for the $15 HFT version to iron out the bugs...

Post Thanks / Like

right. well ill explain this more. i use about 4 grinders next to me when i work. the only safety thing on a grinder that i insist on, is a trigger/paddle that turns itself off if it comes out of my hand. i wont use a grinder w/ a switch that stays on. all guards come off and no handles on mini grinders. i feel i can put up a good arguement that you are safer w/o a guard. now i figured this is 9000rpm instead of my other current 11000rpm ones - both being 13 amp. so my intention was to put 1/4 wheels on it and it ought to have more torque/horse (being 2000rpm less) - less bogging down. also 6 guard for when i'm on formal jobs w/ 6" cutting wheels on pipe. WRONG I WAS.

first thing i noticed is cord is 20" shorter (thats unacceptable 6'4" long)
    second thing - i went to grind out a fillet weld, and if you put any more pressure than a 90 yr old grandmother could, it turns itself off. no exagerration. i had a slightly used 5" 1/4 redline wheel on it, tried to use edge of wheel to remove a weld to bracket off a trailer tongue yesterday -stalls/turns off. i then put a recessed 6" cutoff wheel on it to try to make a horiz cut, - same story - turns itself off. junk junk

also i never used a grinder w/ a brake before. i hate it. it jerks my hand when it stops. i usually try to semi stop the wheel on the surface i was grinding, or lay it upside down if still spinning. absolutely no need for a brake.

i brought it back this morning to my welding distributor. they said they havent heard of this problem, that everyone like them. but they declined my offer to go out in parking lot to show them what a piece of **** it is, nor did they offer me another one to try.

like ronsii says, calif junk - we can only have junk guns in calif, now we cant even have descent grinders
    Last edited by 123weld; 03-23-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i do, and an extra 50 -100 bucks is nothing to me for something that fits my hand the way i like. i grab my 150 dollar dewalt 28114's any day before i use my 250 dollar metabo 6" paddle swith mini grinder. my 350 dollar 9" metabo grinder isnt worth it. it come w/ a 14 guage cord w/o a ground. and itf i work it to long hard, it starts to fade. since when does a supposed cadillac 15 amp grinder come stock w/ a 14 guage cord? that aint right.

this summer i lined up three 28114 side by side, w/ 6" pferd .040 cuttoff wheels for stainless/carbon. i could cut a 36" .375 carbon wall pipe in 30 min. so you can keep your metabo, i dont buy them anymore
    Last edited by 123weld; 03-23-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    i feel i can put up a good arguement that you are safer w/o a guard.
    ...except when a zip wheel breaks, severs your femoral artery and you're dead as a stone in 9 seconds flat ... not so much.

Post Thanks / Like

...except when a zip wheel breaks, severs your femoral artery and you're dead as a stone in 9 seconds flat ... not so much.
    I won't even ask what you're cutting down there to get that artery in i'it's most vulnerable spot

I have had lots of zip wheels and other discs for my grinders break.... with and without guards!!! I guess if I'm out on a job and it's way too hot for my normal attire I might suit up in a speedo and start grinding!!! then it could be a bit dicey

123weld: I too pretty much always have a minimum of 3 grinders out sometimes 5 or 6 just depends on the job and how long I want it to take... less grinders = more time... simple as that

Post Thanks / Like

LOL!!!!!!

When I want to move some seroius metal I grab my 9 inch and go for it... yeah it's heavy but you don't have to hold it long to get the job done 20 times faster than any weenie grinder

I got a couple different 7 inch grinders for work and only used then a couple times to determine that the 5 inchers were better all around especially for cutting!!!
    You put a 36 grit blaze on that thing with a turbo backer and you can take down a hi rise faster than Duck Cheeny with a nose full of Coke( diet, of course)

Here's my cutoff grinder. Bad to the German bone
    https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1821D-5...ateway&sr=8-23

Post Thanks / Like

LOL!!!! Well that brings an interesting picture to my minds eye....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post

first thing i noticed is cord is 20" shorter (thats unacceptable 6'4" long)
    second thing - i went to grind out a fillet weld, and if you put any more pressure than a 90 yr old grandmother could, it turns itself off. no exagerration. i had a slightly used 5" 1/4 redline wheel on it, tried to use edge of wheel to remove a weld to bracket off a trailer tongue yesterday -stalls/turns off. i then put a recessed 6" cutoff wheel on it to try to make a horiz cut, - same story - turns itself off. junk junk
    Sounds like a warranty work around sold as a 'safety' feature. If you can't lean on it you can't burn it up. Good deal for them, bad for a real hard user. Good deal for the guy that uses them as an on display status symbol. He gets to brag about of the features. Me, I like to lean on 'em pretty good sometimes.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if it has 'hidden features' you know like micro$oft products???

power it with a generator at 127 volts and the electronics make it a cool static display model to brag about

Post Thanks / Like

Long as it's made better than Boeing might make it...……………...it should be golden.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Sounds like a warranty work around sold as a 'safety' feature. If you can't lean on it you can't burn it up. Good deal for them, bad for a real hard user. Good deal for the guy that uses them as an on display status symbol. He gets to brag about of the features. Me, I like to lean on 'em pretty good sometimes.
    I yell at the guys if they *****foot around with a grinder. "I bought it... You try to burn it out!"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist