Thread: Box blade repair

Post Thanks / Like

Box blade repair

This is a box blade that I repaired. It took awhile and I used a lot of advice on this forum and I appreciate everyone who helped me.
    The original box blade when I got it is shown below.Name:  IMG_2527 (1).jpg
Views: 787
Size:  109.6 KB

It is a 6 foot box blade but it had a funky set of parallel plates with spacers that held pins for the teeth and there were only 4 teeth.

As you can see, the welds were poor and were coming apart.
    Name:  IMG_2531 (1).jpg
Views: 768
Size:  51.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_2530 (1).jpg
Views: 770
Size:  73.4 KB
    I decided to make this a welding project with my son.

I thought about rewelding the spacers but I thought the design was bad so I cut the plates off. I was going to cut pairs of holes for the teeth in a square tubing, but someone told me to make it even better by welding a plate on top and cutting a hole in it and use angle iron for the pins to stabilize the teeth. So that is what I did. some of the threads related to this was cutting 1 inch steel with a torch, plasma cutter or bandsaw and extension cord or leads.

The finished project is shown below. The nice welds like seen in the close up was done by my son. The bad looking welds were done by me, but I did get a little better.

Name:  IMG_2725.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  139.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2724.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  53.1 KBAttachment 1699544

The top plates were 1 inch thick steel with a hole cut out for the teeth. It was welded to 4 x 4 x 3/8 inch thick square tubing. below the 1 inch plate are pairs of 3/8 inch thick angle iron 3x4 inches. 3 x3 inches would have been better. The square tubing was welded to the 1/4 inch plate on the ends and the angle iron above it. All welds were done with a root pass of 1/8 inch 6011 and two capped with 1/8 inch 7018. More info in the next post.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Box blade repair

Per recommendations I bought this band saw and it worked great. I cut the 1 inch plate with a torch but cut the angle iron with the bandsaw.
    Name:  IMG_2721.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  102.4 KB
    I bought a 50 foot extension cord and that sure made welding easier on a 600 pound box blade. I was able to take the top attachments off and flip it so that all welds were flat.
    All welds were done with this $149 welder:
    Name:  IMG_2722.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  76.1 KB
    My son complained a lot about it when running 6011. Without hot start it was hard to get the arc started and the voltage output varied a lot. We had to run the 6011 at 110 amps to get it to penetrate. 7018 ran OK.
    This box blade is overkill on the metal and the welds and design, but it was fun. And the box blade went from close to useless to a mega box blade. I have extended the blades to max depth and hit tree roots and all welds have held just fine. Unfortunately I angled it forward, lifted it up and one of the teeth caught my tire and poked a huge gash in my tire. Tractor tires are expensive.
    My next project is going to be a ROPS (rollover protection structure) for the tractor. I think I will upgrade to a Hobart 210 stickmate. It is supposed to be equivalent to a Miller Thunderbolt but less expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job The fresh paint really makes it pop!!!

Looks like it's ready for some good hard work.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh if that 4x4 box doesn't hold up I dunno what will. . Looks great.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

You say its overkill, I say you made it stout enough so it stays together for what you are going to do with it for a long time. Some of these operators tell me I overdesign overweld and overkill everything I work on. Some of these shovel operators are the ultimate welding test, if it can be broke they will find a way to break it. I know for a fact some will deliberately try to smash and break what we just got done fixing, just because they are who they are.

You done a good job there...don't fret about overkill its a good stout blade that will give many years of good service

Post Thanks / Like

How many times has someone said I wish I'd done it cheaper? Fix it once right and be done with it.

Post Thanks / Like

great looking repair and upgrade, the original looks like a bad design that was weak....

Post Thanks / Like

The idea for the design came from killdozerd11. Thanks killdozer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey.penfield View Post
    Per recommendations I bought this band saw and it worked great. I cut the 1 inch plate with a torch but cut the angle iron with the bandsaw.
    Name:  IMG_2721.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  102.4 KB
    I bought a 50 foot extension cord and that sure made welding easier on a 600 pound box blade. I was able to take the top attachments off and flip it so that all welds were flat.
    All welds were done with this $149 welder:
    Name:  IMG_2722.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  76.1 KB
    My son complained a lot about it when running 6011. Without hot start it was hard to get the arc started and the voltage output varied a lot. We had to run the 6011 at 110 amps to get it to penetrate. 7018 ran OK.
    This box blade is overkill on the metal and the welds and design, but it was fun. And the box blade went from close to useless to a mega box blade. I have extended the blades to max depth and hit tree roots and all welds have held just fine. Unfortunately I angled it forward, lifted it up and one of the teeth caught my tire and poked a huge gash in my tire. Tractor tires are expensive.
    My next project is going to be a ROPS (rollover protection structure) for the tractor. I think I will upgrade to a Hobart 210 stickmate. It is supposed to be equivalent to a Miller Thunderbolt but less expensive.
    Yep, know about them tires. New tire cost me $400, job paid $300. Cost of doing business. One of the stabilizer bars came loose and let the ripper slash the tire.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by In Utopia View Post
    Yep, know about them tires. New tire cost me $400, job paid $300. Cost of doing business. One of the stabilizer bars came loose and let the ripper slash the tire.
    In my case, I angled the box blade backwards with the top link so I could smooth out what I just dig up with the teeth fully extended. My mistake was not raising the teeth or removing them. I had lifted the box blade up and was moving to another location. The tooth being extended and angled forward caught my tire and kept me from moving but I did not know what the problem was. I thought I was having trouble getting over a stump. So I revved it up to get a running start. I saw a lot of water bubbling up under pressure and I thought I hit a water line, but it was only water in the tire. It was plain water without antifreeze or Calcium. I bent the pin holding the tooth but all my welds held. After freeing the tooth I must have got mad and thrown it and now I can’t find it anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Don't feel too bad.

I was running the brush hog on the Olly 1850. Just toolin' along, happy with the world.

Well, that old gal is a row crop tractor, and it has real nice ladders that go down from the cab. Makes it easy to get on, and off the machine.

Now, why does it matter that it's row crop tractor, with a row crop set of ladders??????????????????????

Those ladders extend down to about 24ish inches offa the ground. Ok for flat groomed fields.

But...………..I always fight Cedar trees, and if they're about up to maybe 5 feet tall...……….I just run 'em over with the brush hog. I DO USUALLY BACK OVER THEM WHEN THEY'RE THIS TALL But sometimes I get in a hurry

So, like I said...…….cruisin' along, lookin' at the birds, whistling a nice toooooon, and enjoyin' a smoke.

I see one in front of me that's a skosh over 4 feet tall...…………….maybe 4'10"...……………………..

Too nice a day, and things goin' too good,, for all that backin' up crap...……….so I just motor on

Tractor smashed the tree nicely, and the brush hog tore it to bits as it passed over it...……………

BUT THE LADDER CAUGHT THE TREE AS I RAN OVER IT...………..BENT REARWARD...…….SHEARED THE SIDE BRACKETS OFF THE STEP...…….AND PUT A GIGANTIMO HOLE IN THE TIRE

About a $500 wake up call Name:  itsok.gif
Views: 382
Size:  1.3 KB

And...………..I still haven't fixed that ladder, and it's been maybe 15yrs Looks like a dagger pointed straight at the tire