+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metal cutting circular saw blades

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Metal cutting circular saw blades

My local garage used to whine about cutting welded pipe on the bandsaw because he claimed it killed the blade. I suspect it's that weld that is destroying your saw blades as well, which is why it works better in plate. I still cut it on the bandsaw, but if you take the time to rotate the welded seam to the bottom, it seems to be a little easier on the blade.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

No, not user error.... other than buying them I've used these things enough to know what not to do

No welds on either piece of plate I was cutting with the new blade that only lasted two cuts I was purposely holding them *very* tight and using a 'weld quality' forward movement for the travel speed. I think they either have a bad batch of brazing or something to do with the easy to bend properties of the actual saw disc... they are a lot thinner than any of the other brands!

I can easily have the milwaukee or even the oshlun brand last a month with easily 3-4 hundred cuts before it starts to cut to slow for me... in fact the other day after the first diablo bit the dust I didn't have any new blades in the truck so I grabbed an old oshlun that still had some good teeth on it and made the remaining 20 cuts I needed to finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    No, not user error.... other than buying them
    Huh. Well, I've never used the "Diablo" sub-brand (HFT is cheaper) ... just the full-kerf Freud blades, and never a problem, knock wood.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually bought a HFT brand blade a long time ago but never used it... will have to see if I can find it or buy another one and try them out as I do like saving money unless it wastes more time with blade issues....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I still cut it on the bandsaw, but if you take the time to rotate the welded seam to the bottom, it seems to be a little easier on the blade.
    Or at the very least you will have 99.5 percent of your cut completed before you ruin your blade.

Good idea though.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Lol!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My local garage used to whine about cutting welded pipe on the bandsaw because he claimed it killed the blade. I suspect it's that weld that is destroying your saw blades as well, which is why it works better in plate. I still cut it on the bandsaw, but if you take the time to rotate the welded seam to the bottom, it seems to be a little easier on the blade.
    I always try to put the seam anywhere but the bottom as well. The least amount of time on the seam really helps extend blade life.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

lol... u mean I'm doing it wrong??
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

lol... u mean I'm doing it wrong??
    If it works for you go with it. I've always tried to do everything but that but sometimes it can't be avoided like miter cutting rectangular tube.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

I cut aluminum almost exclusively. The normal thickness is 1/4" of 3003 with a piece of 5/8" round 6061 welded on one side. The aluminum is old and has been in and out of a steam oven since the 1970s. I use a 8" Milwaukee metal cutting saw and have the best luck with the Endurance 42 tooth blade that was sold with the saw. I use sticks of wax from NAPA to keep the blade lubricated. Most of the cuts in the old aluminum are about 2". I also cut new 1/4" 6061 from 3-5" in length.

I am a firm believer in keeping the blade lubed with the wax. I avoid crowding the saw, and when my cutting speed decreases I know it is time to rewax the blade. When the gullets between the teeth begin to load up with aluminum, the blade is getting dull and needs sharpened. I happened on a Foley Belsaw circular saw blade sharpener and sharpen my own blades. I also have the HF saw sharpener, but I think the FB is more accurate.

I have used this blade on steel as well, but I think the blade with a higher tooth count may be better for steel. The higher tooth count is NOT good for aluminum because the teeth load up too easily. As other users have stated, it is VERY important to keep both sides of the metal being cut secure. I like the description of milling a cut rather than cutting.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a few material specific blades last year and the aluminum ones I haven't tried waxing... never had a problem with them cutting 1/4inch aluminium plate but I only cut maybe 30-40 feet at a time, i know lots of guys swear by wd40 or candle wax... I have used wax when cutting plate with a regular carbide wood blade though and it helps quite a bit.

I cut a bunch of galv pipe today with the dewalt: made ~50 cuts of 1-1/4 shd40, 110 cuts of 3/16ths X 3/4, 20 cuts of 1-1/2 x shd30, and another 25-30 cuts of random size pieces of odds and ends.

Still running a dewalt branded 66tooth blade missing 1 tooth but still cutting pretty good, These blades will usually give me a service life of maybe 4-5 months if I'm careful, but even being careful there is always something that will grab and not do the blade any favors

Name:  dewalt-metalchop-pipeframe.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  50.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I usually just cut aluminum on my table saw with a regular/vanilla "wood" carbide blade ... if I remember to do it, I'll put some drain oil on the aluminum first...

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used a track saw to cut spam, might make some good sandwiches.

14. Likes ronsii, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to SPAM track saws are the absolute best!!!!

16. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A track saw can help you cut the Spam so thin there is no place for the flavor to hide.

18. Likes 12V71, ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can cut mild steel up to about 3/8 in. thick using a ferrous-metal-cutting blade. Put on your safety gear, keep bystanders away, and cover anything you don't want coated with metal chips. You'll find ferrous-metal-cutting blades at home centers, hardware stores and online.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't find them online

Post Thanks / Like

This Orastin dude has been polluting pages with his own brand of Spam, I never liked Spam of any kind.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

22. Likes ronsii liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist