+ Reply to Thread

Thread: miller 252 spoolgun to push pull

Post Thanks / Like

miller 252 spoolgun to push pull

so i've got a spoolmatic 30 hooked to my 252. one of the jobs coming up i figure i'm going to have to lay down around 40pds of 3/64 wire. i'm not going to be doing it one pound at a time. currently i use a suitcase with a short whip and proper drive rolls for bigger aluminum jobs, but as the jobs get bigger i'm looking to step it up to push pull.

i've seen the info for putting a spool canister on an XR gun but not going the other way. i'll be talking with the lws sometime tomorrow about it but thought i'd ask here first. i've got a feeling that its going to be $1k or more in parts, and in that case i'd just sell the spoolmatic and by a new XR gun but i'm hoping its not that bad. any insite?
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

Post Thanks / Like

Re: miller 252 spoolgun to push pull

Even if it was an easy conversion , I wouldn't do it. If you have smaller aluminum jobs in the future your looking at switching a lot of things over. This is assuming you use the machine for use other than aluminum.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

i was able to make it into the weld shop before they closed today and they said the conversion would likely be right about the 1k not worth it mark i mentioned. never actually looked anything up. what ever the case, they had a used XR feeder and gun they said they would sell me for $800, and at that investment, its a moot point

delete this one, no useful info here
    General Contractor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tracymobilecnc View Post
    i was able to make it into the weld shop before they closed today and they said the conversion would likely be right about the 1k not worth it mark i mentioned. never actually looked anything up. what ever the case, they had a used XR feeder and gun they said they would sell me for $800, and at that investment, its a moot point

delete this one, no useful info here
    I would get ahold of Yofish hear on WW he has done the push pull guns as well as spool guns. I have no familiarity with push pull setups but I do know they are not all they are cracked up to be. Shovelon would be another member to contact for first hand info on push pull setups. I only know enough to beware, they are not a cure all.

Post Thanks / Like

i put a python push pull on a lincoln 350 mp and it works werry werry well .
    was not expecting such great results with it.
    easy to hook up,setup and adjust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    I would get ahold of Yofish hear on WW he has done the push pull guns as well as spool guns. I have no familiarity with push pull setups but I do know they are not all they are cracked up to be. Shovelon would be another member to contact for first hand info on push pull setups. I only know enough to beware, they are not a cure all.
    The last job, I'm actually finishing up today, I ran about 35-40 pounds of aluminum through a Hobart Hefty. I shortened the whip and made some drive rolls for it, and it was manageable. Even made it a whole day with out one birds nest, that was a good day.

I'm sure nearly any push pull will be light years ahead of the Hefty feeder.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    General Contractor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filetobeef View Post
    i put a python push pull on a lincoln 350 mp and it works werry werry well .
    was not expecting such great results with it.
    easy to hook up,setup and adjust.
    A buddy that helps me around the shop runs that set up at his 9 to 5. He had nothing great things to say about it. He thought I was crazy when I took the last job knowing I planned on using the Hefty feeder.

About 50ft of bulwarks. Will do another 50ft in the fall. And have the steel completely replaced with aluminum next year

General Contractor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tracymobilecnc View Post
    A buddy that helps me around the shop runs that set up at his 9 to 5. He had nothing great things to say about it. He thought I was crazy when I took the last job knowing I planned on using the Hefty feeder.

About 50ft of bulwarks. Will do another 50ft in the fall. And have the steel completely replaced with aluminum next year

What causes that black soot on mig welded aluminum? I see it all the time. Of course it brushes right off. Just the nature of the beast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Filthy beast but yeah. Mig is funkier than tig, generally.That dude is tacking far too cold as well. Its outdoor boat so a breeze will mess with argon.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist